<

Friday, February 24

Journal Love

my current journals, Kodak LS753

I noticed some of my blog~sisters posted pictures of what journals they are currently using. So...I thought I'd share mine (my apologies for the dreadful flashy glare).

These two companions are quite special to me. The one on the left I use for sketching. My marmie (this is what I call my mother...inspired by the book Little Women) gave this to me. I love how it feels in my hands. It is full of texture and sparkly gems. The paper feels rough and vintage-like.

The one on the right was given to me by my niece, Angela. She went abroad for a semester in London, England. There was a day when she was feeling a bit blue and found herself walking in the rain. She stumbled upon what I think might have been an artists fair with tents and booths displaying a plethora of creations. One woman in particular caught her eye. She went over and ended up having a very deep and inspiring conversation with her. This woman, Laurel Burch, was the artist that hand painted the journal you see above. Angela told me that Laurel's essence, her spirit reminded her of me and that she felt comforted by that at the moment...as if I was there with her during this difficult day. Angela's spirits lifted and she ended up bringing home with her this meaningful gift for me as a reminder of the strength that was gathered during that moment. So, needless to say...this journal is so precious to me and is used to write my deepest thoughts and emotions throughout my days (thank you Angie baby).

I took them with me to a bookstore/cafe yesterday and sitting in a comfy leather chair, was inspired to sketch a series of bohemian girlies. I do believe that cafe's and journals are one of my most cherished pastimes.

I would love to see your journals. I do believe it was Blue Dog that started this...

******

side note: I don't think anyone owns as many journals as my big sis, Darlene (Angela's mom). She has stacks and stacks and wherever she goes, she brings one with a million different colored pens. I love how hers are full of color and sparkles and gorgeous designs...along with her poetic words. Whenever she visits, she leaves with a new journal and by the next time I see her, it is full and she is onto the next. So, so inspiring...(and quite hilarious when she brings two suitcases...one of clothes, one of journals and pens).

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Wish I was talented like that! I saw your blog come up on Blogger and had to check it out! I take photos, that's the only talent I have, but, I do play guitar, bass... I will check by again!!

February 25, 2006 at 5:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger kelly rae said...

it was really great to read your post about your husband being so supportive of you while you take your leap of faith out of corporate america and into your art. i'm in the midst of making big decisions like that as well and my husband is my biggest fan and fully supports the idea. i totally empathize with the comprimise you have to make. i'm getting myself ready for the same. good luck to you in your grand adventure! i'm sure you'll be a big success.

February 26, 2006 at 9:16:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, those are fabulous journals! i am currently using a basic black moleskine sketchbook for my art journal, plain jane in comparison to the beauties you've posted!

February 27, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this obsession for journals, and I just love this one!! Fantastic!

February 28, 2006 at 2:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger Lia (artjunkgrl) said...

These are beautiful and inspiring!

March 2, 2006 at 9:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Marcia (123 blog) said...

Your sister is like me with the journals! Crazy - I thought I was the only weird one out there LOL

November 29, 2006 at 5:10:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home