<

Wednesday, March 8

Inspire Me Thursday ~ Five Senses


Athletic & Feminine, Mixed Media Collage

This weeks challenge for Inspire Me Thursday was creating art with your five senses. I did a mixed media collage of sorts. My mother in-law found for me an old vintage poster with this darling picture of this woman and what came forth in my mind were two words: Athletic and Feminine...and the balance of the two within us.

At the bottom is this quote by Walt Whitman; "The towering feminine of thee! The beauty, healthy, completion fit for thee!"

See: The rusty colored cracks appearing thru my acrylic blue paint. Slowly I watched them appear one by one as it dried. I have previously used this "crackle" glaze on a few furniture pieces and wanted to give a canvas a try. I really dig the weathered antique look on wood, so this was crazy fun to see it work on canvas as well.

Smell: The smell of burning the edges of the two papers brought me back to the scent of our smoky campfires in the forrest just before roasting marshmallows. I had to open all windows and doors so that our fire alarm wouldn't start buzzing while I lit the edges of the paper on fire over our kitchen sink. I found a lot of pleasure in this. Not sure if that's good or bad! *grin*

Touch: Gesso gushing between my fingers and lingering there the remainder of the day. Later, I would find the satisfaction of peeling it off of my skin.

Hear: The sound of Native American flute music in the background...helping me to get all Messy Zen with it.

Taste: As I shared my oral fixaton with pen caps in a previous post, really...it is not just pen caps. It happens when I am in a creative trance. This time I put a brush between my teeth. Little did I know there was gesso on it. A bit startling always at first but it happens all the time. No worries...I do wash my mouth out!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Letha Sandison said...

This is beautiful Den!! I love it!! I am so glad that you spent the day creating and spilling! This really did turn out wonderfully. I hope that you had fun doing it.

Love you...amazing you!

March 8, 2006 at 2:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

Oh i love this. the invitation to find the balance. and your description of your experience - i can just see you smiling over the sink...hee hee.

March 8, 2006 at 3:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh, she is so fun. I like the effect of the crackle. Great colors too.

March 8, 2006 at 3:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger M said...

This is gorgeous! What a wonderful piece of work! You are so talented, keep it coming! I want to put this up on my wall somewhere in my flat!

March 8, 2006 at 3:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger carla said...

This is very fine! I enjoyed reading your description of the process and the mood, and i really, really love the result. That crackled background looks so rough, like the side of an old building with peeling paint. The idea of the burnt edegs is great too. Wonderful - unique and creative!

March 8, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sis! I love this!!! Can I request one for my birthday? We'll talk about the colors. I would love my new home filled with your art!

March 8, 2006 at 9:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger meghan said...

What a beautiful piece! I love the combination of the athletic/feminine. It was perfect for me today after my first run (i use THAT word loosely!)

March 9, 2006 at 2:32:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! I love it, the colors, the combinations you used. Excellent.
a.

March 9, 2006 at 6:23:00 AM PST  
Blogger gkgirl said...

what a great way
of looking at that challenge...
i love how
you did it...
:)

March 9, 2006 at 10:02:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

lovely illo! great collage work!

March 9, 2006 at 4:56:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is wonderful! love that background especially the color!!

March 10, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home