<

Wednesday, April 26

A Ghost in the House

During my time at the Kroon homestead in Ontario, Canada there was a Ghost in the house.

I could hear her light footsteps across the wooden floors at night while I faded in and out of sleep. During the day I would get a glimpse of something white running in and around the trees.

While we gathered around the table at meals, I could feel something touching my knee and hear a whimper in the air.

One day, I went outside and the Ghost walked in front of me and gazed deeply into my eyes. I asked it to show me what she wanted to around the property and she turned around and guided me. I followed her footsteps, in and out of trees, around Jon-Erik's (Carsten's older brother) natural art sculptures and his pottery kiln. I was lead down to the pond where a swing hangs on a thick tree branch. Then lead to an old cabin that was built for Carsten to stay in when he got older. On and on we walked as she introduced me to the land where she roams.

Meet Ghost. Jon-Erik's companion, his dog, his best friend:


Ghost, Canon Digital Rebel, XT

Jon-Erik and his father went to a place one day long ago where people throw out their garbage (what we used to call a dump growing up). They were rummaging through this garbage to find unique objects to use for art. Suddenly, a white little puppy came running up to Jon-Erik with it's tongue hanging out and its tail wagging wildly with glee. They immediately noticed something alarming. The puppy was covered in blood and the bottom part of her jaw was loose and hanging from her mouth which was covered in maggots. It was clear that she had been shot. Someone wanted her dead and perhaps thought the job was done but she didn't die. She survived and was very much alive despite her trauma. She was jumping and giddy as if everything was perfectly normal. So, Jon-Erik took her to the local vet where she had surgery and was fixed up as much as possible, leaving half of her bottom jaw bone gone (hence no place for her tongue to hide and the reason why it is always dangling outside of her mouth).

To the Vet and the town, Ghost was an instant hero. An article was written about her in the local newspaper. She even won an award for outstanding bravery. She was put up in a nice hotel and was honored at a ceremony, along with a few other outstanding animals. One was a cat that had saved a woman from a burning house.

Following the ceremony, Jon-Erik took her home as his own and now she is grown and the sweetest dog I have ever met.


Jon-Erik Kroon & Ghost, Canon Digital Rebel, XT

Perhaps because she went through so much with her previous owner, she is so grateful for any type of love and attention that is given to her. We showered her with love and kisses and food and snuggles.

I often worried about her tongue getting so dry constantly outside of her mouth but then remembered, she has been like this all of her life and it was all she knew. I felt relieved when I would see her drinking water out of a bowl, moistening her parched tongue.

At times I would forget that she wasn't a human. I knew she understood me when I spoke to her...especially on our walk together while she guided me through the woods.

On our last night, she hopped up on our bed and cuddled beside Carsten. Jon-Erik told us the next morning that she has never done this before, she has only slept with him. It was her way of saying goodbye. How did she know we were leaving? I was fortunate enough to spoon her in the morning. ;)


Ghostie & Boho resting, Canon Digital Rebel, XT

My next few posts will be about the art sculptures Ghost and I found during our walk.

She is a very special being. An angel...a Ghost.

19 Comments:

Blogger Shari Sherman said...

What a beautiful dog. What a beautiful experience. It brought tears to my eyes to hear of the amazing spirit of Ghost. To be so trusting of humans, so happy to see one after such disgusting treatment before. Jon-Erik and Ghost certainly were in the right place at the right time to find each other. It warms my heart to see that she has such a wonderful haven to roam now. And thank you so much for conveying such a great story.

April 26, 2006 at 11:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

what a great story and what a beautiful soul! I also loved the pictures - a couple of real characters, it seems. My heart feels warmed and full after reading this. The next time you see them, give Ghost a kiss for me - and remind her that she's a hero!!

April 26, 2006 at 1:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

What a heartwarming story, a true tale of survival. Ghost is an exampme to us all, on how to perservere. It is amazing she has remained so gentle through all she had to endure. Such a touching story. Thanks for sharing it.

April 26, 2006 at 1:43:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a fantastic story, it inspired me to go out and give my own white dog sleeping in the sun a hug. What a remarkable little canine phoenix to have as your guide to experience that place.

April 26, 2006 at 2:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

wow sweetie.
xoxoxo
what a beautiful dog,
and oh my gosh, jon-erik's face and eyes made me gasp, what a gentle, spirited, beautiful man.
he is what my friend debra would call a wounded warrior, in the spirit sense.
deep blessings to him on his healing journey, and much love to him.

love,
leonie

p.s. it's such a delight to see where carsten grew up. what a nature boy he is indeedy.

April 26, 2006 at 3:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger stephoto said...

That is the sweetest story - and so beautifully written. Jon-Erik and Ghost were certainly meant to find eachother, obviously lovely spirits, both of them!

April 26, 2006 at 4:55:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story, I immediately fell in love with Ghost, she is beautiful and obviously very angelic. I bet she misses you and your husband. Once again, thanks for the story!
Teresa

April 26, 2006 at 5:30:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While reading the story...you had me rivited and scared as I first thought you were talking about a "real" ghost!!! I envision you telling this story to your children one night while sitting around the campfire.

Silly girl :-) you had me going.

I love Jon-EriK...and Ghost is a perfect match for him.

April 26, 2006 at 9:09:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing story and beautiful dog! *sniff* I'm glad you all gave her such a good life.

April 26, 2006 at 9:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger pinkcoyote said...

oh lordie. it is these stories more than others that get me misty. what a beautiful thing a human can do when he can rescue an innocent and give her safety, security and deep love. my heart just breaks wishing i could adopt every stray and abused animal that is alive today...i have five and that is truly my limit. the three dogs are rescues, each one with a more desperate story than the last. i love them so much. thanks, boho, for reminding me my tear ducts are in working order today. you tell a beautiful story...

April 26, 2006 at 11:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

This story invited little tears. What a treasure she is...and how incredible that they were able to save her life and give her such a wonderful place to live. Beautiful.

April 26, 2006 at 11:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

Beautiful you. I lost my dog, Byron, and I've never been able to get over it. It's crisis, an injury, the grief immeasurable. I'm comforted when I hear stories about people who rescue animals in need and offer homes filled with love, lightness, and joy.

April 27, 2006 at 12:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

I am still in awe of this story...one of those you read, then read again, then--if your heart can bear it, you read it once more. Ghost sounds truly like an amazing being--how wonderful that those of you close to her have the perspective to notice!

April 27, 2006 at 6:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

What a wonderful story, I have tears in my eyes! Last night on the news I saw a dog with no front legs, that walks like a biped! I couldn't believe it, what a spunky wonderful dog, and a wonderful family who had nurtured and trained her. I just clicked over here from Shari's site with a pic of her newly adopted puppy, and am feeling the doggy love! Thank god there are wonderful people like your brother-in-law to clean up the horrors of people like the bastard who shot that puppy.

April 27, 2006 at 9:34:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh be still my heart. What an angel indeed.
Beautiful post, it brought tears to my eyes.
a.

April 27, 2006 at 9:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

Den, what a beautiful story!! I loved hearing about Ghost and about how your stay went. I also have to say your writing is beautiful!! Just so well written!!

I can't wait to see and hear about the art!

By the by...look how popular your blog is!!! You super start you!!

April 27, 2006 at 10:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger me-nikk said...

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Thank you for sharing this lovely story and your adventures with ghost. My husband and I are HUGE animal lovers and rescuers. This really hit home...
BTW, Recently found your blog and am hooked.

April 27, 2006 at 11:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

that little story just tapped into so many emotions - fear, joy, anger, love. That poor little puppy. people are just such sh*ts aren't they. sounds like Ghost and Jon-Erik were destined to find each other... i'm so glad it had a happy ending :-)

April 27, 2006 at 12:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Ahhhh! The Sweetness of animals! I was in the company of one dog named Chris today and he was soooo happy to see my dad come home from the nursing home, he was jumping for JOY! and as I busily worked outside, there was a moment of time that will be just Chris and mine, I smiled at him and he smiled at me! Then off we went for a walk in the meadow! Animals are sooooo Happy! they indeed make you happy! Ghost is another Sweet companion, yes,like you say, an angel!

April 27, 2006 at 8:56:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home