<

Saturday, April 22

Someone else's shoes


Rubber boots at the Kroon homestead in Ontario, Canada ~ Canon Digital Rebel XT

We returned home to the USA quite late last night.

As we stumbled through our door dragging heavy luggage on the ground with bags strung diagonally across shoulders, our cats gracefully pounced toward us and greeted us with happy meows.

Ahhh...home sweet home. The familiar surroundings, the smells, the comfort of it all.

This past week was spent surrounding Carsten's brother with support and love through a challenging transition on his life journey. With each day, I grew to know his brother on a deeper level and this time spent with him definitely solidified our relationship. Living so far away from one another, it has been challenging to connect but I left feeling as though I truly had a new older brother in my life.

During the hours spent with the three of us communing together, we gently opened up the door for him to spill all that is transpiring in his head and heart. This process really brought me out of my own headspace for a few days.

An unexpected blessing.

If you reflect back on the times that you communed in such a way to comfort a dear one's wounded heart, didn't you find that in helping them heal, your own heart also felt a bit healed?

I think there is so much power in standing in someone else's shoes for a time being. It awakens you into a bigger awareness of life outside of your own personal Universe...especially when you feel so submerged into it.

This grand perspective created a sense of hope as I could see the unfolding of his journey all making sense, even if he couldn't as of yet. It made me realize that the unfolding of my own journey will all make sense in the end...even if I don't see it now and others do.

In helping him rediscover his strength, I rediscovered even more of mine.

Interesting how I found part of my way in someone else's shoes.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

Welcome Back.
You've been missed... I'm glad to hear that it was a good trip!

April 22, 2006 at 8:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

what a huge experience...and being able to turn it inward is a good thing.
so glad you are home! but also glad that this trip was such a good experience...
blessings to you...I missed you!

April 22, 2006 at 8:29:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way you approach life with a wide open heart and arms to hold those that you care about. I missed you so much, but I'm very glad that the trip freed up your mind a bit.

April 22, 2006 at 10:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

hey you! :)

what a beautiful piece, i love the photo! i have truly missed you dearheart. i've been looking at your spilled beanies for a week now... hee hee hee.

i totally understand about the healing miracles. one night, chris' best friend was suffering a broken heart. he came over for dinner, and we sat at that table until four in the morning, sharing our hearts, pouring out, comforting each other with SARK juicy living cards. it was truly a beautiful, healing experience for all three of us.

love you frister,
leonie

April 22, 2006 at 11:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

hey gorgeous girl, i've missed you madly this week! so glad to hear the trip went well, but i had a sneaking suspicion that it might - sending a care package of your beautiful *self* to your brother-in-law is a gift anyone would want. sounds like the gift fluttered back to you ten-fold... it will make sense in the end, angel, just you wait and see :-)

sending you both the hugest hug. i'll email you so we can catch up properly... XoX

April 23, 2006 at 1:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

welcome back!
you've been missed....

i love how you described
the unfoldings of the journeys
and how we all have one to unfold...
:)

April 23, 2006 at 4:39:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home!
I loved each word you wrote and the picture that accompanied it all. I am working through a similar experience with my sister at the moment. You've given me more hope and have helped me walk a little further in her shoes as well.
Thank you.
a.

April 23, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

hi there! Welcome home! I missed you this week.

I'm so glad that so many positives came out of your time away. It's funny how our lessons don't always come the way we'd expect them too. I'm so glad you got to connect with your husband's family. It's so important.

glad you're back!! xoxo

April 23, 2006 at 8:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

This is a beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading it.

April 23, 2006 at 11:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger jojo said...

So poetic. And that is so true. I have experienced this myself... glad you had a reviving and soul-filling trip. Thanks for sharing.

Happy to meet you and welcome back... and LOVE the shoe picture! Cheers, Jojo

April 23, 2006 at 4:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

To be joyful and aware is something that I strive for, and the best way to get there is to step outside of the boxes we live in everyday.

Beautiful post...

April 23, 2006 at 7:24:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O Bohemian gal! Glad you had a soulful trip! My daughter is going thru heart ache too, and my heart is aching too! How old did you say Carlsten's bro is???LOL Love that pic of the boots! Welcome back!Alleluia! You had a safe trip!

April 23, 2006 at 7:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

It's wonderful that you could be there for him, and focusing on someone else, on being the listener and the strong one, does make us feel like the strong ones ourselves.

April 23, 2006 at 8:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Carsten! Sorry about the SP! Will I ever get it right??!!! LOL

April 23, 2006 at 11:24:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home