<

Sunday, April 30

Sunday Scribblings ~ Why I live where I live


Boho at home, Canon Digital Rebel XT

If I tell you the story of why I live where I live, in reality, it is the story of my husband and me.

Carsten (who wasn't my husband at the time) lured me here with his good looks, charm, gorgeous home and the offer to have the upstairs loft as my very own bedroom/studio so that I wouldn't freak out moving across California for the love of a man. Because Boho doesn't do stuff like that. ;-)

I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area. I am a true blue, born and bred Northern Cali girl in every sense of the word. I was living in Berkeley when the techie company (did I tell you I was a nerd? gkgirl will like that) I was working for was bought out and the majority of us were laid off. I decided to take advantage of my sweet severance package and move to Santa Barbara. Throughout my twenties I had moved every few years from city to city...so, the few years were up and I was feeling quite antsy for a new experience.

I rented a garage turned studio room from a fabulous young married couple. We knew within the first few minutes of me interviewing for the room that a bond was solidified and I was a good fit (laughing over lemonade). The husband (Rob) was very involved in the Volleyball community and they had a plethora of friends my age. I could see his wheels turning once he discovered I was single and I immediately said to them..."please do not set me up!".

I explained that I was there to rediscover me again. I was there for a spiritual experience, for healing, to play, to create, to just "be"...not to find true love.

Little did I know that Rob would call his best friend in San Diego a few minutes after I left the interview and say on his answering machine..."Carsten, dude...you better get up here because I just rented our room to your future wife!"

I did not hear of this, of course, until a while after Carsten and I actually met. It was Rob's plan to keep it from me since I was so adamant about him not setting me up with his friends.

When Carsten heard the message, he just laughed and rolled his eyes and didn't take it seriously. I am thankful for that...I needed time.

During the next four months, I worked at a cafe, befriended a few Scottish gals that were there for the Summer and played on the beach, submerged myself into yoga and enjoyed my new life.

I had one absolutely crazy night out in good ol' Santa Barbaree. The Scottish gals took me out...and you KNOW how the Scottish love to drink. Well, needless to say, we were out until all hours of the evening, then morning. Bar after bar...dancing on stages, kissing a few boys and skipping down the cobblestone streets. I stumbled into my room at about 5am in the morning.

A few hours later, I dragged my sorry butt out of my bed to walk through the house for the bathroom and as soon as I opened my door, which leads into the kitchen, guess who was standing there??? You guessed it...Mr. Carsten Kroon.

Now ladies. Think about this. I am hung over, parched mouth, hair a ball of knots and sticking out all over the place, traces of mascara down my eyes. Boxers twisted around my waist, tank top strap falling off my shoulder. You know that look. The morning after a wild evening with the girls and all you want is a huge glass of water, advil and to lay in bed all day.

I blinked my eyes a few times to focus on what was in front of me and I see this tall, handsome man (delicious, actually) and out of his jolly mouth comes..."There she is!!!" with the cutest smile in the Universe.

He later told me, at that moment when I walked into the kitchen...he had a warm feeling wash over him and he knew I was the one.

He's crazy. But that is one of the many reasons why I love him.

So, the next few months we fell truly madly deeply in love. During that first conversation in the kitchen, I forgot about the bathroom and how dreadful I must have looked. I just remember how damn funny he was that early in the morning and he found me funny as well. I leaned up against the counter with the coffee in my hands that he handed me and we shared our stories while Ali (Rob's wife) beamed watching us.

I decided to move out here because as I had said in an earlier post, the few long term relationships I previously had were long distance. I wanted as much normalcy as possible this time. I applied for a design school out here, got accepted, packed my bags and moved further down the coast...much, much further.

He had built a loft upstairs in his condo a while back. He told me that he wasn't sure why he had built it when he did but when he met me, he understood the reason.

So here we are...four years later. Married. And the loft is no longer my bedroom but my art studio and his workspace for Fractal Tree.

Good ol' Rob actually did set us up despite my plea not to. This is a great joke that will be told for years on end.

Now you know our story. Now you know why I live where I live. Oh...and the glorious beaches and tres cool weather help too. ;)

Read other yummy Sunday Scribblings here.

27 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

AAAAhhhhh...what a sweet, wonderful story! I knew there had to be a major reason a Northern Cal girl would choose to stay in So Cal. Lovely, lovely post.

April 30, 2006 at 1:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

What a wonderful story! I love those love stories that make you believe in fate & destiny. I also love to read that you are madly in love - you are so deserving of happiness and love. SIGH! I'm all happy and warm reading this. Thank you for the grin!!

April 30, 2006 at 1:13:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dearest bohemian girl,
I've been following quietly along, but I wanted to share that I went to UCSB back in the early 90s (native from Tucson and now in Boulder, CO) so that plus the most cosmic love story you shared (that I am patiently waiting to happen for me as well)was so refreshing to read this morning. Thank you for sharing that. Thank you as well for being so delightfully raw & honest, you are a treasure.

April 30, 2006 at 2:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

Such a wonderful story! It would actually make a great romantic comdedy!

April 30, 2006 at 2:07:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous story!

April 30, 2006 at 2:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

oh that is just SO deliciously good.

GO CARSTY!

GO DENI!

love is soooo freaking awesome

xoxoxoxo

hee hee hee

April 30, 2006 at 3:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Love works in mysterious ways, doesn't it? I love that you were hungover and tired when you met him--showed you had a life of your own and knew how to have fun...what could be more beautiful?

April 30, 2006 at 4:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, I know that knotty morning hair well! So cute that he caught you in that moment, so beautiful that he thought it was charming. Sweet story, love! And you look adorable in the photo!

April 30, 2006 at 4:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

*bless your heart* that was the sweetest thing i've read in ages. it's midnight here and i'm off to bed - and now i can dream that true love is possible... you guys are an inspiration!

lots of love
Sx

April 30, 2006 at 4:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Brad said...

Swearing off dating got me in deep too. Just hours into my self imposed attempt at celibacy... there she was - the love of my life and bride of 17 years.

Twoo Wuv.

Thanks
Brad

April 30, 2006 at 4:34:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Happy. Love.

Good story.

April 30, 2006 at 6:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

Berkeley... what a scene
~~~~~ waving hello from Northern Calif ~~~~~~~

April 30, 2006 at 8:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kelly rae said...

i love love stories and yours is great. and i'll be moving to berkely this summer. i'm nervous!

April 30, 2006 at 9:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Don't you just LOVE LOVE??? I love romance!!! That is the sweetest pic of You Boho gal! Look at that smile! He didn't have a chance!!! LOL

April 30, 2006 at 9:15:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an incredibly romantic story! Why doesn't that surprise me, dearest? The Universe loves you. :)

As a matter of fact, the very first post of yours that I ever commented on was you talking about your love for Carsten. I can't help it...you two are adorable!

And I've always wanted to live in NoCal!

April 30, 2006 at 9:28:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now I have a wonderful bro-in-law(love)as a result of that set up! Props to Carsten...you bring her bliss...you're her penguin!

luv yous

April 30, 2006 at 9:37:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

What a fun story!

April 30, 2006 at 9:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristine said...

this story made my day

May 1, 2006 at 12:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger jojo said...

your little love nest sounds blissful and this journey through your life was a special treat... especially at this late hour. love makes all the difference in the world. thanks for sharing =) happy four years and counting =)

May 1, 2006 at 1:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

What a beautiful warm story. A man who can see through bedhead and crusty mascara, and puts you at ease meeting him in that state, how wonderful! I love reading about the synchronicities and serendipities in people's life paths that lead them to each other, and thinking of the fragility of chance, of how much more likely it would have been to NOT meet. Reading recently on Mad Organica about how she met her husband, in a place she would never have been but for strange chance, also a long distance thing that deepened over the phone. It's wonderful to imagine there are kind of invisible paths traced out on the world that lead us to each other!

May 1, 2006 at 8:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lita said...

now that is one love story I can sink my teeth into!!! I feel I actually sat down with you when I read this! BEAUTIFUL YOU!

May 1, 2006 at 10:02:00 AM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

i loved this story...
heehee...
(and i never would have taken you
for a nerd...heh)

the hungover description/meeting
was priceless...hehheh
and how funny that he had built
that studio...without really knowing why

ahhhhhhhh....
i feel all warm and fuzzy...
:)

May 1, 2006 at 10:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger M said...

So sweet! What a story!! Isn't it great how life just knows how to work out for the best? I had to go all the way to Australia to meet my Love, but it was more than worth it!! Glad that you two found each other and that he makes you so happy!

May 1, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was SUCH a romantic, wonderful, happy story. I just loved it!
Awesome.
a.

May 1, 2006 at 5:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i loved reading this...i felt like (i think i have said this before my dear) we were curled up on your couch drinking tea and you were telling me all about how you met your dear husband.
love it.

May 1, 2006 at 10:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendee said...

This is wonderful, as is love! There are magical sprites and guardian angels, I am convinced, that are watching over us... guiding our lives and hearts.

Ah! Love is grand! :) !

May 2, 2006 at 4:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after reading this i text my love and said .. keith i love you so much i want to hold you right now and cuddle

June 27, 2008 at 8:52:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home