<

Saturday, May 13

My Marmie ~ Fun Loving


my marmie, canon digital rebel xt

I am writing this from my parent’s home nestled at the bottom of the Sierra Foothills in Northern California. It is late. Actually it is early in the morning. I am having one of those sleepless nights where the characters from the book (sent to me by Susannah) that I read before turning off the light to head for slumber are dancing around in my brain. You know that if thoughts of them are keeping you up at night that the author has done her job well.

I took this picture of my mother today. Isn't she darling? Especially because she is wearing my "Earth" Superhero necklace. Now she is one of us, it seems. Like wearing this is a crown into the sisterhood.

Calling her Marmie is inspired by the movie Little Women. When I first heard the girls call their mother than in the movie, it found its way into my heart and I tried it on my mother the next time I spoke to her. She of course absolutely loved it and now it has taken up home in our relationship.

Since Mother's Day is around the corner, I wanted to dedicate this post to her. Once I entered into womanhood, our friendship reached a deepness that continues to root itself and I am relishing in it during this visit.

I could go on and on about how lovely her person is but this will some it up: She won "most fun loving" her senior year of high school back in the late 1950's. This was at a Catholic high school back in Massachusetts where the nuns had a close eye on them at all times.

She was the one that made everyone giggle when it got too serious in class or perhaps pushed the envelope a wee bit. She was the one who won my handsome oh so Portuguese father's heart while he drove by in his cherry red convertible and saw her from a distance...all sweet, beautiful, light complected, curvy, witty, French and fun loving.

He was hooked...just as we all are in her presence and just as you will be seeing her smile.

Je T'aime, Marmie.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute! And yes, she is so beautiful and so sparkling - just like her daughter! xo

May 13, 2006 at 3:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is beautiful and I know she must be just as beautiful on the inside to have raised such an amazing daughter as yourself.
Great shot, and I adore the nickname you call your mom. Perfect.
Hope you continue to have a good time!
a.

May 13, 2006 at 6:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Daibh said...

Keep an eye on that gnome over her shoulder, however. They're full of mischief! ;)

May 13, 2006 at 11:12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

oh precious soul!

you should show her tatt

*big wink*

happy mama's day!

May 13, 2006 at 6:21:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's beautiful and I love, love, love the necklace. And wow, can I just say that her teeth look so very white in this photo?

lucky candice

May 13, 2006 at 9:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

Your mother is stunning, all glowing and gorgeous! Beautiful post, lovely.

May 13, 2006 at 10:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

What a beautiful woman...and such a deep relationship the two of you have. Very inspiring my dear. And I love the necklace!!

(I was so glad to discover a new post when I stopped by this evening. Miss you girl!)

May 13, 2006 at 10:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

She wears her joy--so bare and honest...now I am beginning to see the willowy branches running through this family tree.

***And, I never would have noticed the rather mischevious gnome had sike not pointed it out--this was great. Shows I really need to pay attention...

May 14, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lu said...

Hey! I was so happy to see you had posted. I love reading your blog and when you wrote that you were going away and wouldn't be back for a while---at the same time one other favorite blogger (Superhero) said she might be doing the same thing soon, I felt the strange strains of withdrawal coming over me!! HA HA!!!

I love this post about your Mom. She looks beautiful and so happy in the photo. Happy Mother's Day to her! She must love having you home for a visit!!!

May 14, 2006 at 9:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger kristen said...

She radiates.....Happy mother's day and how wonderful that you're spending it with your mama! I hope someday that I have such a relationship with my own girl.

May 14, 2006 at 12:57:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a mother-daughter relationship that can grow and change and renew itself in love and friendship, is a treasure...it's so wonderful to see as an adult, your mother as a real person...enjoy every moment!
~mindy

May 14, 2006 at 1:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a sweet post! I wish I was in Northern Cali with my Marmie today. It looks like much nicer weather that what I'm experiencing. You should tell your marmie to go to my marmie's garden tour next saturday--breast cancer research and beautiful gardens, how can you go wrong?

May 14, 2006 at 5:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger M said...

Gorgeous! I love the necklace too!! Glad you are enjoying your time away. I love that book as well, so poignant and well written.

May 15, 2006 at 9:18:00 AM PDT  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

I am hooked, like you said.
She certainly set the tone for the beauty I see in you.

I, too spent time with my Mom at her Indiana home, on the farm.
How sacred.

Stay in touch. Fondly!!!

May 15, 2006 at 10:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Amber said...

What a beautiful post! It's so wonderful when you can share such a powerful relationship... I'm sure your visit must make her day!

May 15, 2006 at 11:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

It is so funy how much you two look alike, despite your V different coloring! You guys have such a beautiful family!!

I hope your visit with everyone has been wonderful and that you are surviving being parted from CK all right.

I miss you and can't wait for you to get home and send me a juicy email about your trip.

How you feeling..you know :)

May 15, 2006 at 12:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Hi,

What a beauty she is! I love the warmth of your words, as you describe her.

Glad your having a good time.

Been thinking of you.

Hugs

May 15, 2006 at 1:34:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such joy and beauty! Its wonderful to see another part of your makings! I am so glad you are having such a sweet time!

love love love,
e

May 15, 2006 at 4:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lita said...

I've missed your sweet stories! What a wonderful one of marmie to come back to! Definitely makes my heart smile tonight!

May 15, 2006 at 11:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger nina beana said...

wondering what catholic high school in massachusetts...i went to cath hs in MA, too!

she's glowingly gorgeous.

May 16, 2006 at 5:40:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How beautiful is your sweet momma! She hasn't aged a bit! My land! Retirement is so very good to her! Looking good Ter!

Love, Pattie from Montana! :-)

May 16, 2006 at 9:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

ooooh, i pop by to see if you're back yet - and here's a post from Saturday! your marmie is such a beautiful woman - i see where you get your looks from, sweet pea. mums are the best aren't they. miss you xx

May 16, 2006 at 9:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

your mother is adorably cute...
and i loved your description of
how they met...

and i am so getting
a superhero necklace...

heehee
:)

May 16, 2006 at 10:05:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Admin said...

your mom is GORGEOUS!

June 4, 2006 at 11:28:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home