<

Wednesday, June 7

Poetry Thursday


clock, canon digital rebel xt

This is a poem I wrote years ago. It's about a deep yearning for something/someone that is so close within reach but there are barriers, obstacles precluding the relationship from being. It's about patience in regards to the grander scheme of things and what always seems to be perfect timing upon reflection but when in the midst of it, feels messy and painful. It is a lesson I am learning still, years later with this present journey I am on.

I know the prompt for Poetry Thursday was to gather bits of conversations I listened to while I was out and about but in all honesty, I didn't get out much this week. I stayed in my studio creating art and nurturing friendships. So, I have no juicy gossip or clever haiku's...just an old poem about time.

Father Time

On one side of the door,
you stand

On the other side of the door,
I stand

I feel your presence
and you feel mine

Our hands, one on each side,
touch the barrier
between us

We watch
as our hand strokes down
slowly
imagining the other’s skin

Our foreheads lie
against the barrier
between us

Our own breath,
mists our face
like dew

Our torn souls cannot
speak

Our tired ears cannot
listen

We close our eyes,
feeling heaviness

Warm tears fall
on familiar ground

When can we reach
passed this barrier and touch
one another again?

Who holds the key,
to the locked door
between us?

Who holds the key
to the other side?

Father Time.

~ Denise, 1998

15 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

To begin with, I've missed you dearly. I have a ton of catching up to do!

I relate to that poem, especially when I think of my marriage to beautiful Ray. I so much know about that yearning to be with him, that slow, pulsing ache.

Beautiful poem, beautiful you.

June 8, 2006 at 12:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, and that photo is AMAZING. I love the colors...

June 8, 2006 at 12:09:00 AM PDT  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful evocative poem! So full of longing and frustration - timeless sentiments, really! (no pun intended). :)

June 8, 2006 at 5:33:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful words.
This is becoming my little space of calm in the Land of Blogs... where I can breathe out....

June 8, 2006 at 5:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger maggiegracecreates said...

wow

June 8, 2006 at 5:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger White Square said...

poignant, emotive and very real...

June 8, 2006 at 6:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

so gentle, so beautiful... so very you ~ this poem speaks to my heart today x

June 8, 2006 at 6:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Deirdre said...

The longing in this just stops me. In the moment it's always so painful and difficult to remember that time moves forward and everything changes.

June 8, 2006 at 7:37:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

time really is the healer of all wounds, and the hardest thing to accept sometimes. this truth is so beautifully put.
~mindy

June 8, 2006 at 7:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

The photo was gorgeous--simple and stunning...not unlike the poem you shared. "Our hands, one on each side/touch the barrier/between us./We watch/as our hand strokes down/slowly/imagining the other's skin" These lines are radiant to me...

June 8, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The emotions here are so potent, oozing out of the words you chose. I love it, it strikes at so many tender places of wishing and holding that I possess.

June 8, 2006 at 10:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

beauty in your words,
in your pictures,
in your sentiments.

:)

June 8, 2006 at 2:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss my sister...

I am on one side of the door and you are on the other.

I'm going to have some words with Father Time.

I miss my sister...

Phone calls and emails don't allow me to see your beautiful smile and hear your contagious laugh.

I miss my sister 100x100

loving the photo and the poem
always...Dar

June 8, 2006 at 8:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i read this yesterday. and am reading it again today. beautiful my friend.
i keep thinking about the image of "who holds the key?"

light and peace to you my dear...

June 8, 2006 at 9:35:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photo and words a perfect compliment. This is wonderful!
a.

June 9, 2006 at 7:22:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home