<

Thursday, June 22

Poetry Thursday


michael hedges, photographer unknown

I first heard this poem written by e.e. cummings in a song by Michael Hedges. To this day, I believe he is one of the most phenomenal guitar players. I saw him in concert in Fort Worth, Texas about 8 years ago. It was an intimate venue. He was sitting on an blue exercise ball up on a small stage. On his head was what resembled a metal strainer with his thin dreadlocks sticking out of the holes. He was eccentric. His heart spilled all over us and I found myself forever changed. Ahhh...the gift of an artist.

I strongly urge you to listen to this song by him on his album named Taproot. Close your eyes and allow the tears to fall:

I Carry Your Heart

I carry your heart with me
(I carry it in my heart)
I am never without it
(anywhere I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

I fear no fate
(for you are my fate, my sweet)
I want no world
(for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you


here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

I carry your heart
(I carry it in my heart)

~ e.e. cummings



the boho's on the beach
at night, canon digital rebel xt

13 Comments:

Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Darling....

How perfect these words, with the photo of the two of you beneath.

"I carry your heart
(I carry it in my heart)"

June 22, 2006 at 4:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger christina said...

Oh--I haven't read this one in years..so good--and the picture says it even better.

June 22, 2006 at 6:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lu said...

I love this poem too. I had cut it out of an old poetry book and collaged it 13 years ago for my then-new boyfriend, now husband, soon to be (apparently) ex-husband.. oh I was so in love. This made me cry...

June 22, 2006 at 8:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger wendy said...

this is a fav of mine also....the root of the root...god...was that man good, or what?

June 22, 2006 at 8:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lu said...

Oh my goodness BOHO!!! I just saw that you posted a comment on my blog!! THANK YOU!!! I was so psyched to see your little photo there... from June 7. It's June 22 and I'm just getting to it now...

I have to be honest: I am not a good blogger.. I'm a good blogger-reader though.

WOW! You just made my day!!!

June 22, 2006 at 8:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

ahh yes. beautiful.
love this. love it.
thank you for sharing...going to see which album we have again and put some on...

June 22, 2006 at 9:17:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So so very beautiful.

Digesting it piece by piece to feel the meaning between the lines.

Sharing my heart with you :)

June 22, 2006 at 11:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

That was perfect, thank you! I think of all of the poets, cummings is the one that makes me want to be a Writer. I love his use of language - he writes like people think - with exuberance and joy and without filters. Beautiful, boho. Thank you again!!!

June 22, 2006 at 11:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

ahhhh i love ee cummings...
sigh...

and cool to have it put to song.

:)

June 23, 2006 at 5:27:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned this as an art song in college - by John Duke - and it was part of our wedding this past year as the words are sublime and mean so much to me. And Micheal Hedges - oh, we worship him around her, and still feel deeply sad he's not here on earth anymore. What I wouldn't give to see him play! (We do have a DVD, thankfully!)

June 23, 2006 at 6:00:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem and beautiful photo! So loving, both.

June 23, 2006 at 8:13:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what's going on w/the comments filter - just left a comment, which it said was anonymous, but it was me! Tara, aka Paris Parfait.

June 23, 2006 at 8:14:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dedicated that poem to TEG while we were dating. *sniff* I love it still!

So happy you are back, sweets!

June 23, 2006 at 8:15:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home