<

Sunday, June 4

Sunday Scribblings ~ Earliest Memories


little boho, 1976

When I saw the Sunday Scribblings prompt for "Earliest Memories", the one that popped into my head was when I was a little over one years old. I had just arrived home from Stanford Memorial Hospital. A few month's prior to my arrival home, I had nearly died. For a long while I wasn't able to hold anything down and no one knew what was wrong with me. By the time our local doctors sent us to Stanford, I was malnutritioned with skinny legs and arms, a sunken in face and a huge belly like you see on television. Just when a doctor said to my terribly worried parents that there isn't much hope, a European doctor heard word of me, took a graph of my intestines and figured out what it was. Once I was diagnosed, all we had to do was change my diet. I couldn't digest gluten and apparently, gluten was in every baby product imaginable.

So, the memory that popped into my head was me swinging in a baby swing in the back yard of our house and my Va-Va & Vu-Vu (grandmother & grandfather in Portuguese) brought me a filet mignon to suck on for the iron that I was lacking. I remember the taste of the filet and how good it felt on my gums and their smiles. Their huge, huge smiles of relief that I survived. It didn't take long after a bunch of those filets until I became a chubster. My mother did her research, sent away for special foods and always made an additional dish for me as I grew older, without one complaint. She had the patience of a saint and saved my life. (I love you, marmie).

Although, I wonder if that memory in the backyard sucking on a juicy filet is so vivid because there is a picture of it in my parents album and that they tell this story over and over with tears welling in their eyes.

So, I closed my eyes and tried to remember a memory that was simply from my memory. I remembered my sister Darlene, 15 years old at the time and I was 5. She had made me a skirt and shirt for my first day of Kindergarten. They went fabulous with my Dorothy Hamill haircut and Precious Moments lunch box/bag you see across my shoulder that my marmie bought me! I recall walking into class with my best little boy friend and feeling quite proud. I think you can see my pride in the picture above quite clearly.

I am sure you are all digging the cool 70's wallpaper behind me.

26 Comments:

Blogger Mimey said...

Very boho chic chick. That wallpaper will be retro cool in approximately three years. I hope it's safe.

June 4, 2006 at 1:03:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It's a good thing you were diagnosed!! Oh, and you look very trendy in your photo!

June 4, 2006 at 1:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

Sucking on Filet Mignon? That made me chuckle out loud.

Thank goodness for that doctor and for your Mom and for your sweet, sweet self.

You are as cute now as you were in that picture!

Love to you!!

June 4, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh darling,
this is too delicious for words. You are absolutely shining in that photo-as you do in all your photos.

It must have been so scary for your parents to not know what was wrong. Thank god that Dr. figured it out.

Much love to you steak chop:)

June 4, 2006 at 2:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

wow...
that must have been scary
for your parents to not know
what was going on!

holy.

and i have to say
that haircut is just tooooo cute...
heh heh
and love the memories.

my first instinct for earliest memories
also came with the uncertainty
of whether or not
it was MY actual memory
or a memory i created to go with
a story or a picture...
heh.
:)

June 4, 2006 at 3:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Wow! What a close call! Maybe that's one reason you're so sensitive to other people's feelings; that you're attune to everything around you. Thanks for sharing this amazing story. Love the photo! :)

June 4, 2006 at 3:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger amy said...

what a wonderful story, and so well told. i could practically feel that filet mignon on my gums!

i had a dorothy hamill, too.

June 4, 2006 at 3:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i think i just fell even more in love with you - it's the Little Boho smile that got me :-) you were such a cutie... and are even more so today
Sx

June 4, 2006 at 4:20:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut as well, although I looked more like a boy in mine. I was also in the hospital for a long time when I was first born, I had a full blood transfusion, and everyone just crossed their fingers I would live to see one. Ah the many ways we have a connection. Thank you for sharing your memories.

June 4, 2006 at 4:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

Look at cute little you!! Didn't we all have that haircut!! How funny! You always have the best family memories.

XOX-Letha

June 4, 2006 at 4:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I have such an image in my mind now of a little toothless baby sucking on a big fat steak. That's so funny! This is a wonderful story, and I love the picture -- it reminds me of the one I posted recently of my first day of first grade, the same pride and excitement, and always the lunchbox!

June 4, 2006 at 5:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

Well, Letha, I didn't have that haircut. Being a little black girl, I had an afro puff on either side of my head like Minnie Mouse!

Bohemian Girl, thank you for sharing your happy memories. The steak story reminded me of an old Van Johnson movie from the 1950s where the whole plot revolved around him trying to afford beef for his pregnant wife because the doctor said she needed more iron :-).

June 4, 2006 at 5:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amber said...

The first thing I thought was how much you still look like you, as I see your smile on so many of the blogs I comment on! Same spirit in your face. That is nice.
I love how your grandparents would think of giving you a steak-- and a good cut-o-meat at that!

:)

June 4, 2006 at 5:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Daibh said...

Great writeup, cute picture! Same smile as your avatar, separated by time, but still the same. Cool.

As always, you inspire me to think, Bee Gee!

June 4, 2006 at 6:02:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Baby Girl!!!

Oh my gosh~ what memories THIS conjured up =) I sooo remember that day. I had learned to sew in High School and I think EVERYone got a skirt and top that year!

Sunday's meant Va-Va & Vo Vo would be showing up with a filet for you and giwumpkies(sp?) for us. (Hamb.& rice wraped up in cabbage leaves) Blah.

I adore you pookie. Who could resist that face?

No one ever did~no one ever has =)

Smell/Hug Dar

p.s. I put in an order for a wee one just as cute hee hee

June 4, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Shelley Noble said...

Such touching memories, Bohogirl, I've gone all teary. I'm so happy that you survived and had such a loving wonderful family and childhood.

June 4, 2006 at 10:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sheela said...

that smile is adorable!

June 5, 2006 at 4:23:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad to have you in the mix! love the great little boho do...aw, look how sparkley you are! what a nice memory.
~mindy

June 5, 2006 at 5:34:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great memory to scribble about. I was trying to picture a baby sucking on a fish, lol. Amazing moment in your life.
Love the pic too.
a.

June 5, 2006 at 6:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Amber said...

what a wonderful story... love the do too! you make me smile.

June 5, 2006 at 6:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

sweet boho, and sweet boho's mother. she must have been sick not knowing what to do for you. It makes me sick to my stomache to think about having to worry about my daughter like that. I'm sure her saintliness came from her gratitude of understanding how to make her baby well. And the image of va va and vu vu with thier juicy steak just for their precious granddaughter is priceless.

loves,
Britt

June 5, 2006 at 7:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger M said...

You were (are) too adorable!! What a great photo and memory!! And I'm so glad you survived- we are all blessed to have you around!

June 5, 2006 at 11:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

well my dear, i am glad you are here. blessings to that doctor who figured it out.
and how adorable are you in that picture. oh i just want to hug that little girl.

June 5, 2006 at 2:17:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are well and here. Thank you for sharing! You are so lovely in the picture!
~annaxx

June 5, 2006 at 2:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Celiac runs in my family too. Gluten can be a really nasty thing. I'm so glad you got diagnosed. Most American doctors hadn't even heard of this disease until just a few years ago. Love the haircut. I (attempted) to give my sister the same cut in the mid-seventies when we were much older than kindergarteners. It was a mess! LOL She loved me anyway.

June 5, 2006 at 7:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Brad said...

What a great story. You helped me connect with a memory of a steak feed at Fogarty Beach State Park with grandpa and all the cousins. It must have been 1967 or 68.

Thanks
Brad

Try
http://we-is.blogspot.com/2006/06/sun-scribn.html

June 5, 2006 at 10:29:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home