<

Wednesday, August 23

freak flag


carsten in urban outfitters, canon digital rebel xt

"You have a freak flag...and haven't flown it yet." ~ Luke Wilson to Sarah Jessica Parker in The Family Stone

I watched this film for the second time last night and this line made me smile. I kept thinking about it for the remainder of the evening and throughout today.

I've always flown my freak flag and now that I am with someone who also has one, we're flying it higher together. When I saw this picture above, I laughed out loud to myself. It is such a Carsten face. He looks as though he is about to burst into laughter but he'll just stay like that until you're the one giggling.

He's one of the most animated people I know. Without realizing it, he's created voices for different animals and people (including me), so when he is telling a story, a voice comes out and it always makes it more real. It makes him a marvelous story teller. I've often encouraged him to do voiceovers for cartoons. Perhaps some day. I don't quite like the voice he has for me. I sound like a chipmunk but it never fails to make me laugh...even when I feel annoyed.

While chatting with Romina last night, she said..."I have a feeling Carsten is a very funny guy." Interesting how people pick up on that through a picture.

I love that he flies his freak flag so frequently. It inspires me to wave mine back and forth. I am learning that there is a true blue geek side to me and rather than being embarrassed of it, I am embracing it. Even feeling proud of it. Yes...I love watching Science Fiction! I used to think that SciFi was the epitome of nerd-dome. Now I am seeing how very intelligent it can be. Oops, my glasses just broke, I need to go put tape on them.

It is so free-ing to let loose, and open those tight lids on my life. So this brings me to a question. Have you flown your freak flag lately?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen that face quite a few times in our home and I love it. I haven't heard the chipmunk voice yet. Can't wait for that at Christmas. Love you both so very much.

August 23, 2006 at 6:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh my-

I wish I wish I wish we had taken photos of our nerd theme halloween party we had some years back.

I definitely wave my freak flag-especially around my husband - other freak flying folks and when teaching.

I love acting dorky (in moderation of course:P)

This picture is so cute. You too are probably some of the most gorgeous people I have ever known.

Gorgeous I tell you!

You are going to make some beautiful babies girl.

Love and kisses and even more kisses

August 23, 2006 at 7:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

Yesim.
Totally.
Every day.
Its *me*.
Imagine a life without freak flag flyers?
Nah-uh.
We all have our own little freaky things. Nath's is SciFi too :-)
Cute ...perhaps I am a little like Carsten and you and Nath are similar.
FREAKS.
Good for you for embracing it sister...
Big kiss
Much Love
Bx

August 23, 2006 at 8:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Deirdre said...

A man who makes you laugh is the best. I got really lucky this time too. I wonder if the ability to make goofy voices is a guy thing. And sometimes he laughs at me. Oh wait ... he laughs with me. ;)

August 23, 2006 at 8:41:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

freakin' out every day for sure :)

August 23, 2006 at 8:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Georgia said...

Oh, honey! I took my freak flag and sewed myself a dress out of it so that I can wear it everywhere I go :)

Wave those flags HIGH!!! I kinda like being a little different to be honest. ;)

August 23, 2006 at 11:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Fran said...

I have to agree with Georgia. My Freak flag is out more often than not. I saw that movie to and loved that line too.

August 24, 2006 at 3:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger mint and orange said...

freakdom is a must! it especially makes relationships more fun!

August 24, 2006 at 5:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger nina beana said...

OMG! the freak flag! i love it. seriously, we're all about freak flaggin' it here. wish we were neighbors- then we could fly out flags high and proud together!

August 24, 2006 at 6:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Deb R said...

Yay for the freak flag!

I think anyone who doesn't have a freak flag is a wee bit boring.

August 24, 2006 at 6:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger changapeluda said...

Boho,
Girl, your commentors (present company included) are a buncha SuperFreaks!
They are SuperFreaking out :)

And Science Fiction Rocks!!
('specially Star Trek Enterprise
even Battlestar Gallactica)

August 24, 2006 at 7:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved that part in the movie about freak flags. i let mine fly daily. i mean, why not? most people who really know me aren't surprised.

August 24, 2006 at 7:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Darlene said...

Freak flags...Whahooooo :)

You know all of mine lil sis ;-0

And this 'nerd' thing you are talking about???? You are the COOLest nerd I know.

We have a phone date in 15 min.

YEAH!!!!! I'm freakin

xxx d

August 24, 2006 at 10:47:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All aboard the freak flag train! Life's no fun if you're not wavin' it and proud of it!!

LC

August 24, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Phew! I was a freak and still am! LOL Hey Boho gal! Does Carsten have Davisson blood in him? Look on my post of pickin and grinnin! I think Donnie, my cousin and him could be brothers! Maybe cousins! lol They both look plenty ornery!

August 25, 2006 at 11:26:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home