<

Friday, September 15

special day*


boho, canon digital rebel xt

Today I turn 35. I've never been one to be afraid of sharing my age. In fact, back when I was about to turn 30, I could hardly wait to get there. People surrounding me were surprised and shared with me that turning 30 will be sad and depressing when their turn comes. Perhaps they felt that their most exciting years would be spent in their 20's. I suppose I viewed it as another decade to party and suck the marrow out of life. Knowing how excited I was about turning 30, my sweet girlfriends picked me up in Berkeley and drove me to a very empty San Francisco. It was a few days after 9/11 and we were all shocked, sad, depressed, frightened and stunned. My special day was a good excuse for all of us to get out of our heads and not only celebrate me entering into a new decade but come together and share our grief. Each of us were somehow connected to someone closely effected that day. I myself had a few friends that were supposed to be in one of those buildings but circumstances held them back. My boss at the time took United Flight 93 on a weekly basis and when I heard about it coming down, I wasn't sure if she was on it or not. Thank goodness when I finally arrived at work that morning, she called me to let me know she wasn't. When I heard her voice, both of us broke into tears.

So, the eve of my birthday was spent bar after empty bar, huddled with the lonely bartenders and sharing our own stories, crying, laughing, dancing in the quiet streets. I suppose it was our way of peeling ourselves away from the radio and television and paying homage to all that had transpired. We were fumbling and didn't know what else to do.

I lived wild and crazy days in my 20's. My 30's have been more about self exploration, self expression, commitment and learning to speak my truth. In my 20's, I was running, skipping, dancing, leaping through life where as now I am allowing myself to coast a bit more, to soak in what is around me and to pay attention to the lessons each moment can bring.

Today my husband is taking me to see the long awaited movie The Last Kiss. The soundtrack is phenomenal and I continue to hear this movie promises to be as good as Garden State. We'll see...huge shoes to fill there.

I want to thank Nina from The Whole Self for her sweet parcel. Her "Boho Mama" watercolor touched me deeply and so did her handmade packaged tissues that I shall use for happy or sad tears.

Thank you to Cinda from Turquoise Cro for a package full of earthy bohemian tunes for my soul.

I also get to meet the lovely Romina and her adorable husband this weekend while she is in town. The four of us are planning to gather at a pub. Good times will be had indeed.

Whenever my birthday comes, I am reminded of one of my very best frister's wedding anniversary. So, happy anniversary, sweet beautiful Bobbers:


bobbi, canon digital rebel xt

So here I am... going special places, seeing special things, meeting special people on my special day.

edited to add: oh my...i am feeling so loved. thank you to susannah, andrea, letha & Pixie for your bday calls and to la vie en rose & my sis dar for your amazing packages!! i'll get in touch with you all later. we on on our way to the film! xoxoxoxo

42 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Happy Birthday to you, we share the same day!!

September 15, 2006 at 3:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday little monkey o' mine
Happy birthday to you!

i love you gorgeous xoxoxxo

September 15, 2006 at 4:06:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! sending you lotsa lovelies pink hearts!

September 15, 2006 at 4:40:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope every moment of your special day is beautiful and full of love and laughter! xo

September 15, 2006 at 4:57:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I hope all your wishes come true next year... ;-). Have a beautiful day!
Katrin from Berlin

September 15, 2006 at 6:20:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birtday Dearest!

I wish you much abundance, baby booties, and aritistic adventures.

You have been and continue to be a huge inspiration for me and all of us here in the Bloggie world. So today I celebrate you in the world!

muah!
e

September 15, 2006 at 6:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger mint and orange said...

what a wonderful thing, to celebrate you, to celebrate life!

happy birthday, and let me know how The Last Kiss is. i'm anxiously waiting to see it too :-)

September 15, 2006 at 6:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Happy birthday! I loved reading about your appreciation for each new year of life--and for claiming your age...so refreshing...I hope you have not only a special day...but a special YEAR at 35!

September 15, 2006 at 6:57:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. It's beautiful to see a woman embrace her stage of life every step of the way. What an inspiration you are! Have a wonderful celebration! :)

September 15, 2006 at 7:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

happy happy happy birthday, sweet boho.

September 15, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to YoU!!!
May everything you hold near and dear to your Heart come true!!

September 15, 2006 at 8:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Denise! Have a SWEET one! I'm sure YOU will! Happy Anniversary! to your frister and hug Romina for me! Sounds like a WOWieeeeeee week-end! Can't wait for maybe a few pics!!! XO ps. don't forget to kiss Amber for me!and a huggy wuggy for Carsten! lol i'm thinking of that song, "Love is in the air" by John Paul Young

September 15, 2006 at 9:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger lisrobbe said...

Happy Birthday! Good wishes for the next year!

September 15, 2006 at 9:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger nina beana said...

happy birthday dear sweet sis. glad you liked your treaties- it was my pleasure.

September 15, 2006 at 10:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Darlene said...

Birthday Girl~

Wishes and hopes that THIS year will bring a special gift for you and C.

I always loved how you embraced turning 30 and now 35...wow lil sis...in my heart, you're still that naked happy baby swinging in that electric contraption in front of a fan on a hot summers day and looking like you're having the time of your life!

You're still swinging baby ;-)

Happy Birthday Sistar Sledge
I love you
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox Dar

September 15, 2006 at 10:55:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Virgo sis! (mybdaywas on the 10th)

You are beautiful at 35 inside and out...I want a full review of the movie!

xoxo
Vivienne

September 15, 2006 at 11:06:00 AM PDT  
Blogger bronxbt said...

hmmm.
i'm still the only guy on yer site postin' big "lurve" for ya.

happy birthday sweetheart.

you've touched us all with your feelings, caring notions, and wondrous photos of your life.

35 going on 20-sumthin's not to bad in my book.

hugs,
B

September 15, 2006 at 11:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birhtday darling!!

hope today you receive joy & love & make memories w/ people you cherish!!

blessings on your head & this coming year!

love to you ~ chele

September 15, 2006 at 12:17:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, boho!!

September 15, 2006 at 12:39:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 35th, Denise!! I wish I had known that it was your bday week when we met for lunch the other day because then it would have been my treat!

Sounds like you have a fun day and weekend lined up so ENJOY! And let us know how the movie is... I loved Garden State.

September 15, 2006 at 12:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Happy 35! The best is yet to come :)

September 15, 2006 at 2:18:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Boho! You deserve a wonderful day and I love what you said about your 20s and 30s because I feel the same way about it.

You're beautiful!

LC

September 15, 2006 at 2:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Denise said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

September 15, 2006 at 2:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

Happpy Birthday love!!! i hope you got my phone message, your package is on it's way!!

I am so glad you have a wonderful dayy planned. Enjoy love.

XXOXOXXO
Letha

September 15, 2006 at 2:37:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 30, and after reading this I am even more excited for this decade. Exciting things are in store, I'm sure. Cheers! :)

September 15, 2006 at 4:31:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kelly rae said...

a beautiful happy day to you. i was also so excited to turn 30. i was ready for the good stuff. and being in my 30s hasn't never been a disappointment! good for you!

September 15, 2006 at 6:19:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you bodacious birthday girl!

Have a wonderous and amazing time celebrating L I F E and yourself!

love and joy,
Leonie

September 15, 2006 at 9:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Viking Womyn said...

happy birthday Denise!

I bet you had some good memories made today!

Your 35! I just can't believe this! My how time does fly doesnt it?!.... Can't wait to here about your day. IM sure Carsten made it just the way the doctor ordered.....lol

Love you!

''Viking Womyn''

September 15, 2006 at 10:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

hey you sweet girl! i am so out of touch with blog world that i missed your big day...

happy, happy birthday darling! I hope your day was filled with laughter and joy! and i hope this year is filled with grace and silliness and bold new beginnings.

love to you,
liz

September 16, 2006 at 8:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Happy Birthday sweet darling.

You are one good looking 35 year old. I will be 35 in Jan and look forward to it as well:) This is such a terrific photo. I love the portraits you have been doing.

I hope the film was delightful and as much as you hoped.

I am so happy you are celebrating and surrounded by love.

I am loving you from all the way over here wishing I was able to meet you at the pub too.

Hugs and kisses dear one.

Loving you

September 16, 2006 at 10:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Deb R said...

HappyHappy Birthday!

(I'm not late, I'm extending the celebration!)

September 16, 2006 at 12:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

happy very special day to you! ;)

and you've just managed to make me get all excited about the next 5 years of my life. if you feel that great at 35, i can too! thanks, dear.

September 16, 2006 at 12:37:00 PM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

hey sweet girl - I had no idea it was your birthday - I hope that you had a wonderful WONDERFUL day. You know what?! I have a funny feeling that THIS is YOUR year!! ;)

Love to you!

September 16, 2006 at 2:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Alex S said...

Hey! Happy Birthday to you!!!! Wishing you a year full of all good things you love, cherish, and are waiting for! I agree with Megg. This will be your year of the next wave of dreams coming true.!

September 16, 2006 at 3:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amber said...

As a fellow September 15th birthday girl, I wanted to wish you a happy one! I hope it was good, and you get all your wishes.

:)

September 16, 2006 at 6:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I hope you had a great birthday! Yes, older is definitely getting better.

September 16, 2006 at 7:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

Happy Birthday to you, lovely girl!
XXOO

September 16, 2006 at 10:03:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack, I am late, but happy happy HAPPY birthday! Sounds like you enjoyed it...hurray!

September 17, 2006 at 7:31:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Baby!
I love you.

September 17, 2006 at 9:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday sweets.. I hope you got my email bday message.
Bx

September 18, 2006 at 2:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Daibh said...

Happy birthday, Boho! 35? You're younger than me!!

I'm halfway to 37, myself. 35 is a good time, equidistant between 20 and 40, right? Haha!

Anyway, hope you had a happy day.

September 18, 2006 at 11:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Erika said...

Hi there, Boho!

Belated happy birthday from someone who just discovered your blog! Let me just say that you rock! Reading your blog entries has motivated me to work on becoming more grounded and let myself relax and be creative.

Thanks for being such a good influence! It's a pleasure to 'meet' you and I hope you had a fantastic birthday!

Erika.
http://thisismyspotat.blogspot.com/

September 21, 2006 at 12:47:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home