<

Thursday, November 16

Poetry Thursday ~ I will shelter you


boho girl & boy, canon digital rebel xt

This picture was taken minutes before us leaving for a Ray LaMontagne concert this past weekend. We've been so consumed lately with opening up my business and him being a web designer extraordinaire, that we haven't made time to go out on many dates. So, while I was spending time with my Seattle Sweeties last week, he surprised me with scoring two tickets to one of our favorite musical artists at a beautiful opera house nestled in the middle of downtown.

It is difficult to put into words how it felt to see him play live and so close. This man is one of the most passionate musicians I have ever seen. He's very quiet, humble and shy. In between sets, he would mumble into the microphone how grateful he is to be here while he nervously ran his fingers through his hair. My empathic self picked up on the fact that it was almost painful for him to be up on stage unless he was playing. Those in between quiet moments felt so awkward for him. When people would shout out..."we love you Ray"...or..."you're gorgeous Ray", he replied quietly..."it isn't true". The fact that he truly has no clue how absolutely amazing he is and that all he wanted to do was play music made him even more endearing to me...to us.

Before he would begin each song, he would stand there quietly for about half a minute to gather his passion, to breathe deep, to bring his head and heart back into the space it needed. Then all of a sudden as he began to strum his guitar and turn around to welcome the other musicians on stage to join in, he would transform into this confident, soulful, passionate, fearless, brave man on a mission to change lives. The music resounded and we could feel his soul with each note.

It was a beautiful thing to witness and brought both my husband and I nearly to tears a few times. At one point, I looked over at my husband and his eyes were closed and his head was swaying to the music, his feet tapping to the drum. It made me fall even more in love with him, if that is possible. I love his passion for music and I appreciate that we share it together.

I love how music has the power to bring such harmony between people when words are not enough.

So, for Poetry Thursday, I am sharing with you one of my most favorite Ray LaMontagne songs:

Shelter

I guess you don't need it
I guess you don't want me to repeat it
But everything I have to give I'll give to you
It's not like we planned it
You tried to stay, but you could not stand it
To see me shut down slow
as though it was an easy thing to do
Listen when
All of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do
You will shelter me my love
And I will shelter you
I will shelter you
I left you heartbroken, but not until those very words were spoken
Has anybody ever made such a fool out of you
It's hard to believe it
Even as my eyes do see it
The very things that make you live are killing you
Listen when
all of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do
You will shelter me my love
I will shelter you
Listen when
All of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do
Hey you will shelter me my love
I will shelter you
If you shelter me too
I will shelter you
I will shelter you

22 Comments:

Blogger madd said...

Thank you so much for this post..yes I went to each link..what a wonderful magical musician he is, I like his gravely voice and brings me back to my woodstock days..checked your site..you are very talented..as is your sig other, you both are truly blessed with many gifts..I will return and if you do not mind I would like to put all your sites on my links roll..m

November 16, 2006 at 11:02:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This warmed me from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. The fact that C planned this as a surprise, and more so, the fact that the two of you can share such a passion and love for music together is beautiful. I believe that music is such an incredibly touching medium...for me, it is the most touching, as it can hold my hand during certain moods, alter other moods, make me want to jump and dance, make me want to hug and cry...it's power is indescribable.

I adore the lyrics to this song; what heartfelt song of love.

Thank you for sharing this D.

Love to you...xoxoxoxo-J

November 16, 2006 at 11:21:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in just a few weeks i will see ray for the third time this year and i feel like i still haven't had enough of him!

November 16, 2006 at 11:23:00 AM PST  
Blogger Darlene said...

Awe~ boho boy & boho girl look like they are in love

love a bunch of boho's

*muah*

xxx d

November 16, 2006 at 12:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh beautiful bohos what joy to see you two together on your way to a romantic date/concert. You are such a gorgeous pair. WOW!

I love Ray too, and this song is beautiful. The words are a perfect love poem.

Love you darling
toe to toe

November 16, 2006 at 12:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

you wanna know the cutest thing about your photo of you and your gorgeous hubs? i've seen you wearing that scarf and coat LIVE in person :-) i feel like i was there in the room with you guys... when i come over can we all go to a concert together? xo

November 16, 2006 at 12:58:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm listening to the Trouble CD right now! He's so fabulous...
and so are you, by the way :)

November 16, 2006 at 3:09:00 PM PST  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

This was such a sweetheart of a post--thank you for sharing it with us! Ray LaMontagne is a wonder...I couldn't agree more. I've never seen him live, so your description got my wheels turning...hope your day has been poetic!
--D.--

November 16, 2006 at 4:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger Bob the Frog said...

ooh, ray is soo dreamy... he was just here in seattle last night, but i missed the show :(
i'll have to catch him next time. love these lyrics...

November 16, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM PST  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

Lovely photo! Congrats again on your store. I linked to you from my website. Your products are beautiful!

November 16, 2006 at 5:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, thank goodness for technology! I got to read this beautiful post, then I got to listen to this artist, then I got to download his album and now I get to listen to this voice...this beautiful voice whenever I want.

November 16, 2006 at 5:57:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of his too. It sounds like a great concert. I didn't realize your husband was fractal tree. That is so cool. Your website looks amazing. And that picture of you too- man. Beautiful. I hope it's ok for me to say this: WHEN you two have a baby, she/he will be so incredibly beautiful.

November 16, 2006 at 8:09:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like ray's music as well. i wanted to go see him when he goes to boston in december but unfortunately i'm getting back too late. maybe when he performs around london in a few months, i can hop on a train from paris and go see him there. sounds like you had a great time. xx.

November 16, 2006 at 11:37:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never heard of him...but i think i'll be looking for him, soon.

thanks, boho. :)

November 17, 2006 at 5:32:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the picture... of boho boy sheltering you. you two are quite the pair of lovers!

November 17, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM PST  
Blogger bronxbt said...

hey boh,

this is one of those days when i really have nothing intelligent to say 'cuz i'm busy working out details for the next few days of personal crap i have to deal with out of town...

soo, hello... i lurve that poem.. i lurve you more, and that pic of yer hubbers and you makes me happy.

oh, and i posted early for next weeks fuzziechads vote if you want, and i finally got off my duff and finished another page on somethinsketchy too.

have a great weekend n stuff.

B & mr puddins (who's eyeing me warily this AM for some reason)

November 17, 2006 at 8:36:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a gorgeous couple or what?
Two Bohos melting in each others arms. Swaying to the sounds and taking in the magic that love and closeness can bring.
Have a good day my sweetness.

November 17, 2006 at 11:00:00 AM PST  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I love seeing your lovely faces-had to come back for a peek.

November 18, 2006 at 6:11:00 AM PST  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

love his words...and his voice. thanks for describing the concert as well - i need to find out when he is playing in seattle next.
so glad you guys had such a wonderful time.
(and p.s. i know i said it before in an email...but the shop just looks awesome! congratulations on such an amazing adventure coming to fruition!!!)

November 18, 2006 at 10:00:00 AM PST  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Great to have a date night with your sweetie! Love the photo of the two of you and the song lyrics. You will shelter me my love, And I will shelter you, I will shelter you ... what a gift to have someone in your life with whom you can shelter and be sheltered. much peace, JP

November 18, 2006 at 11:17:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in love with Ray's voice since I picked up The Last Kiss soundtrack. To me, he sounds like the missing Righteous Brother - just so yummy and soulful. Yesterday I picked up Trouble and I love, love, love it - and when I saw that it had the song you posted about, I was like, oh Boho's song! :) I love to hear that he's so humble and unassuming in concert - maybe he will come down South and I will get to enjoy his goodness!

November 18, 2006 at 3:19:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is your interpretation of Shelter? What is the story he is telling? I struggled with its meaning.

January 19, 2007 at 9:32:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home