<

Tuesday, March 20

girlfriends


Thea in Seattle, canon digital rebel xt

I totally love this picture of Thea. I caught her taking a picture in a funky yoga squat position (malasana pose) in the rain. It's classic and it goes to show you what us photographers go through to get a good shot!

I was in yoga class today and our instructor asked us to take a moment and think about something we are truly grateful for. Immediately, my girlfriends came to mind.

Yesterday I took a few steps back from the "loving of self" that I talked about in my previous post. I had misunderstood something one of my clients communicated to me and felt myself spiral down into self doubt. Within two seconds I went from feeling fabulous to totally unfabulous (if that is not a word, it is now). You know what "two seconds" I'm talking about. It took something little and something that actually wasn't even true for me to forget all that I have been learning and fall back into an old pattern of thinking.

I dialed a girlfriends number in tears and doing what girlfriends do best (which is remind us how kick ass we are), I took a deep breath and ROARED. She cheered me on (with imaginary pom poms) and reminded me of who I am. She even made me say out loud some things I thought were cool about myself. That's not easy to do but it really does feel fantastic.

We all go there...and its not a pretty place but there are ways to pull yourself out and reaching out to close friends is one of them!

So, I spent my time in yoga today concentrating on all the extraordinary friendships I have in my life and how grateful I am for their unconditional, non-judgemental, free flowin' love.

Speaking of...do take a look at my gorgeous friend Susannah's photo store "Unravelling" that she just launched. She's selling some delicious prints that I cannot wait to hang in my home.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes indeed...the friendships are that important...and the doubt...um, I completely understand that. BUT...you are completely awesome, and don't you ever every forget it!!!!!

love you

March 20, 2007 at 3:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

Monkey, those pom poms are always at the ready :-) and thank you for the shout-out for my wee little store - you're an angel xxoo

March 20, 2007 at 3:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

yes, we definitely do all go there at times, funny how it can just be that one little thing that causes us to spiral, but aren't girlfriends the best?! i don't know what i would do without mine sometimes.

you know I am always on the sidelines doing the boho cheer should you ever need one.

as a woman, artist, designer, friend, wife, nurturer, entrepreneur, spiritual being and writer ~ simply beautiful is what you are...

loving you.

March 20, 2007 at 3:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

This photo brings back such wonderful memories. It amazes me how vivid they are.

I am sorry you had that moment-but thrilled you were quickly helped out.

Girlfriends are truly one of life's most tender loving gifts. And you are one of my all time bestest.

I miss you so much darling.

XOXOXOXO

March 20, 2007 at 4:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Wanda said...

Two special girlfriends have pulled me out of the pit many times. Thank God for Girlfriends that love us warts and all, and always see the best in us.
Great picture of your friend!

March 20, 2007 at 6:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi BOHO girl...you are beautiful..and friends do not offer fear..F(false) E(evidance) A(appearing) R(real).
Freinds help you away from the scarey moments.
Yeah I can see you with pompoms.
with love and respect...jon-erik
ps nice photo!!!!

March 20, 2007 at 7:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

oh so sorry you had one of those moments but its wonderful that you have so many amazing friends to put it all back into perspective and let you know how amazing, beautiful and talented you really are :)

'cause you are ...

March 20, 2007 at 7:32:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlfriends are amazing and always there to tell you what you already know ;) Sometimes we need a little girltalk to see ourselves clearly again.

XOXO Sophie

March 21, 2007 at 12:34:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 100% with you - in my morning meditations I love the part when I get led into a meditation on gratitude and love - I always have so much wonderful material - my parents, my sisters, my lovely man and my amazing girlfriends. My girlfriends have mastered the art of a long-distance love - through email and crackling phonelines with massive timelags they have lifted me up and carried me through the darkest moments. I give thanks for them now - and for all the wonderful women I meet here.
Yah for Susannah's shop - I'm off now to do some shopping.

March 21, 2007 at 2:00:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to have that kind of unconditional love and support from your girlfriends. I've been misunderstanding and sensitive to everything that comes my way these days and I have felt a little displaced with whom I can lean on (other than my family) because the one person who I thought was my rock, has turned out to not be so and it's disconcerning to have been wrong about someone you were close to. Sigh.

This post reminds me what friends are for. I hope you're feeling better and it's a terrific photo of Thea, I wish I could get that low!! (=

March 21, 2007 at 2:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Regina said...

It's those little moments that can really throw us for a loop sometimes, but they do make us stronger as well.
Thank God for girlfriends... and what's really wonderful is when we can reciprocate for someone who needs us just as much as we need them!
I am so glad you found what you needed through the loving support of your friend...
xo

March 21, 2007 at 4:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Beka said...

I just found your blog and I wanted to say that I love your musings and photography.

I stepped up to a DR XTi in January and it and I are still getting to know one another.

So I thought I would ask you if you have a lot of lenses or if you have found just a few that get the job done quite nicely.

Again, love your blog. ~bug

March 21, 2007 at 6:36:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have one awesome friend! Well, actually, it sounds like you have MANY awesome friends. I'm glad she reminded you how terrific you are.
And yes, Susannah's photographs are beautiful, aren't they? My favourite are her beach scenes. She really has a good eye for colour.

March 21, 2007 at 5:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger all over the map said...

girlfriends rock! woman need each other in a unique and special way.

after reading the post you had written about letha i was reminded of just how beautiful and awesome the friendships we nurture are. here your post is to remind us, once again, how these are the friendships that lift us up! thanks for sharing.

*btw,it's me, the one from the email about the ending being "ent", ring a bell? i just started a blog.(it's a wee baby now but it's going to grow).

thanks for the inspiration with the words, photos, and all the creative, talented, and beautiful woman connected to the blog here. i'm thoroughly enjoying, hope that's ok.

March 21, 2007 at 9:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home