<

Wednesday, March 14

Letha the Brave...


letha sandison & me in Seattle, photo by susannah

I've known Letha since I was 10 years old. That means she's been one of my best friends for 25 years. I don't mind dating myself, btw...I am proud to be in my thirties! *smile*

It's always blown me away how parallel our lives have been throughout our friendship. It could be as simple as getting the same haircut without knowing it (every time), to as huge as marrying men that have such similar personalities, it's freaky.

I remember cuddling up to Letha on her bed when we were teenagers and gazing around at all of the beautiful dolphins surrounding her bedroom. She had a spiritual connection to them and she always led me by my hand into the magic of their meaning. She had candles, crystals, angel cards and books on spirituality (before it all became the hip thing to do). Letha's always been a deep thinker and self~evolver. She has taught me so much throughout my life. She is one of the most loyal friends I have ever had. Whenever I have had huge things happen in my life, she was right there with a phone call, a long hand written letter, a package full of healing remedies...you name it. We've been apart for over 10 years now while she's been in Washington and me in California but we make sure to visit as often as we can.

I am writing this because my heart is full of excitement and anticipation for her. At this moment, she is walking the dirt roads of Kampala in Uganda, Africa. She is visiting for 10 days to lay down roots since her and her husband will be moving there in a few months for about five years. I just finished reading one of her long emails to our tribe detailing her days there. It is such a trip to see her dreams unfold. Dreams she has shared with me all her life. She's always wanted to make a dynamic difference in our world with her gifts and both her and her husband are doing just that. Reading it, I had tears of joy in my eyes. My Letha...the one who did a dance routine for me in the 80's to the song "Shock the Monkey", is over in Africa, starting up a non-profit organization. She will be building a housing community with Habitat for Humanity and hire Ugandan women to sew her clothing designs so that they can make more money to take care of their families. She is also going to teach Art Therapy to children with cancer at the hospital where her husband will be working to save lives.

I am so proud of her for sacrificing the pampered life we can all lead to living in a place that only has power and water every other day. She's one of the most brave, inspiring, beautiful women I know.

With all of this excitement comes the fear of the unknown. This is all so HUGE and I know she has her moments of feeling scared and vulnerable. This is where you come in. If you are also jazzed and inspired by her story, could you go to her blog and send her some words of encouragement, wisdom and support? I know it would be a pleasant surprise and much appreciated on her journey. Thank you all...

16 Comments:

Blogger Wanda said...

Leatha the Brave!
What a wonderful inspiring story. I have loved to paint the people of Africa in my watercolors. I pray her journey will bring much love and grace to the people she ministers too. I will visit her blog. Thanks!

March 14, 2007 at 9:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

our darling friend is such a warrior - i am so proud i am going to burst :-) xo

March 14, 2007 at 11:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

What an amazingly inspirational story and beautiful tribute. I am heading over to her blog now...

March 14, 2007 at 1:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

you are such an awesome friend.
:)

March 14, 2007 at 3:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

i've lurked -in awe and admiration- at her blog for a long time now.
you have just inspired me to de-lurk and show some love.
thanks!
Vx

March 14, 2007 at 4:00:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a heartwarming post; so amazing to read of someone realizing such a wonderful dream. i will visit her and give her whatever support i can. thanks for sharing of your friendship.

March 14, 2007 at 4:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger bronxbt said...

boho darling,
you are such an amazing and inspirational woman in your own right, how can we NOT go flocking to yer dear friend's site / link to it, and save for future supportive comments-o-goodness!?

i can only hope that you say some amazing things about a few of us someday, like you have about this wonderful gal.

'course, next time yer in seattle if i don't get a buzz, since it's my BACKYARD... we're sooooo broke up.

;)
giggle

Bronxbt

March 14, 2007 at 7:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Toni M Photography said...

What an inspring post dedicated to such an beautiful soul.....

Big hugs,
Love Toni xoxo

March 14, 2007 at 9:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

Den, I don't know what to say...this is so beautiful and I am so touched to read and reminisce the moments of our friendship over the years. I have so many memories I could add, so many wonderful times. YOU have always inspired me, you are WAY cooler than I am. In fact you make se sound better than I am but I appreciate it :)

I am without real words to express how very dear you are to me. I am forever grateful to Redwood Glenn :) for bringing you iinto my life.

I love you pumpkin and can't wait to visit with you when I get home and to see you again before we move!
XOXOOXOX

March 14, 2007 at 10:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Bob the Frog said...

what a beautiful tribute to your soul sister! these friendships are precious beyond words. sometimes my soul sisters are the only thing that keep me going...i totally get it.

March 15, 2007 at 2:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AMANDA said...

Wow ~ that is truly amazing. I will keep this short and stop by her blog to send some encouragement~

March 15, 2007 at 5:06:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing woman she is! No wonder you are so proud of her! And what incredible adventures she and her husband are going to have in Uganda. I'm in awe of women like her. :)

March 16, 2007 at 2:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

What a beautiful photo, really captures your bond. Best of luck to Letha on her grand adventure!

March 16, 2007 at 3:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger bee said...

i went and de-lurked at letha's (i had been there before but hadn't 'introduced' myself...) you are right. i had been aware she was going to africa but didn't know the reason...i am so impressed. my heart is crying happy tears - you know? the good, washing-everything-clean kind.

boho, i am soooo happy you are reading eat pray love. i found out about it too thru the blogging community and i honestly didn't think it would hit me in the same way as everybody would be saying it did. but it changed my life.

my sweet friend, would you feel comfortable sending me your address? j'ai quelque chose petit pour t'envoyer. (i have something small to send you.)

(hug)

March 16, 2007 at 6:07:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You girls are just too beautiful! What a courageous spirit your friend has.. I wish her luck in her endeavors!

March 19, 2007 at 7:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger angela said...

oh that photograph is beautiful! of the both of you!

just read your note... precious you.

i'll write more later, but you can reach me at angela [at] omondieu [dot] com any time...

hope you're having a lovely sweet day...

oxo

angela.

March 19, 2007 at 1:42:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home