<

Saturday, March 24

live simply


man at Pikes Place Market, canon digital rebel xt

My husband and I discovered some beautiful silver antique Chinese coins while on our honeymoon at this quaint zen shop and spa. There were five of them and each one had a Chinese symbol engraved on one side and a written message on the other. At the top of each coin there was a hole, to string them together and hang the coins where you can see them each day. This was to remind you of the messages they hold.

I had them hung in my studio near my computer for a few years but a month ago I had to pack everything away in order to paint and renovate. When I put my studio back together, I couldn't remember where I put the coins.

Today my husband and I went for a walk along the beach and then strolled across one of the piers. When we reached the end of the pier, I leaned the top half of my body over the railing to get a closer look at the turquoise waves crashing below. I looked over to my left to where the beach stretched for miles and watched the surfers do their dance. Feeling the cool ocean breeze through my hair and the warm sun on my face, I remembered how much the simple things in life, like this moment, bring me such peace and solitude.

I thought about how I can so easily forget this and how I tend to complicate my life sometimes. Being with mother nature always seems to ground me. I need to spend more time near the beach and in the woods.

I came home and while standing at the sink in my bathroom, I glanced down and saw something sparkle at me. It was the Chinese coins. They were in a little dish where all of my favorite necklaces are. They were right in front of me in the midst of all my colorful gems but I hadn't noticed until today.

It was a little confirmation that I need to simplify. The five coins say...

1. Free your heart from hatred

2. Free your mind from worries

3. Live simply

4. Give more

5. Expect less

19 Comments:

Blogger Toni M Photography said...

Boho ~ this post is exactly what I needed today. Thank you for putting a teeny tiny smile on my face. I too forget about the simple things in life, especially lately. I think it's time for a retreat and getting back to nature. Thank you again for this post and your words lately,
Big Hugs,
Love Toni

March 25, 2007 at 12:30:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

five little pearls of wisdom indeed. we are loving simplifying our lives right now and have all our worldly goods stored in a 3metre x 2metre storage locker. it feels soooo good to down-size!

March 25, 2007 at 12:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Intrepidflame said...

Great little post. It gave me those goosebumps, that remind us that we are not alone. Thank you, you have effectively shared peace...that is what i feel is our basic human function.

March 25, 2007 at 1:32:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´ve written a post about collecting bricks of wisdom...live simply will be added to that :)

XOXO Sophie

March 25, 2007 at 1:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

Wonderful, wonderful blessings Deni.
Perfect!
Bx

March 25, 2007 at 4:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger madelyn said...

beautiful - and profoundly - and
simply - true.

:)

March 25, 2007 at 8:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger k said...

Gosh, those are powerful. i was wondering if there was a way for you to incorporate/borrow them for one of your necklaces? i would love to have something like that close by so i could touch it daily for a reminder. just a thought...
thanks,
kristin

March 25, 2007 at 9:02:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear one, this post is just yummy. I want to bundle it up in my pocket along with those coins. I am out for some bonding time with mother nature today, no doubt you will be there as well.

March 25, 2007 at 10:15:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I don't consider myself much of a spiritualist, I too must have needed the reminder today.

Reading the five made me teary. Thank you for the reminder to enjoy and experience!

(And continued hugs and love for your loss too. Although you don't post about it, it must still be difficult. Hugs to you today.)

March 25, 2007 at 11:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Martha-Anne said...

a beautiful post. i'm so glad you found the coins!!

March 25, 2007 at 1:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Regina said...

What an enduring message... thank you, Boho Girl, for the reminder...

March 25, 2007 at 5:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Wanda said...

*Amazing that 5 little coins can speak volumes*

March 25, 2007 at 5:59:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing it.

March 25, 2007 at 6:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kristen said...

Those 5 coins are words to live by.

March 25, 2007 at 7:00:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these!

LC

March 25, 2007 at 9:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

:) lovely

my husband and i walked for hours yesterday, through the river valley, through trees and melting snow, sunshine and windblown and you have expressed exactly how i have been feeling ...

March 26, 2007 at 8:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger bee said...

yum. just yum.

March 26, 2007 at 8:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Claudia said...

Wonderful advice.

March 26, 2007 at 11:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

I've enjoyed so many of your Canon Digital Rebel XT photos that I went out and got my own.
Nice pic of the man playing guitar.

March 30, 2007 at 6:30:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home