<

Monday, April 23

master cleanse ~ day nine


me today, canon digital rebel xt

Ohhhh...today was a toughy but I've survived. One more day to go. I almost caved today not because I miss food and would like to start chewing again, although that does sound mighty good. I almost caved because I've been feeling so sick. Yesterday I wrote that I was feeling better, although, as the day progressed, this "bronchitisy~pneumonia-like" feeling came over me again pretty hard. The massage, as good as it felt in the moment, sort of moved things around in my lungs, which is probably good but not so fun. It's really hard to lay down flat because my lungs feel full of fluid. My poor husband...I kept him awake last night coughing. I don't quite feel as achy all over as I did on Saturday but I definitely don't feel like myself and have zero energy.

So last night my husband and I wondered if I was indeed sick rather than detoxing and discussed whether or not we should quit. It sounded so absurd to quit on day nine but I was worried about making myself worse.

I then talked to my Master Cleanse angel, Thea and she did some research for me. She didn't feel this sick while on the cleanse, so she was just as perplexed. She found this article which basically confirmed that what is going on with me is a major detox and that this cleanse is doing its job. Yeah me.

I learned that if I was indeed sick, being on this cleanse would not make it worse. Many people with major illnesses are put on this cleanse for detox because it provides you with all the vitamins and minerals one would need for the body to heal itself.

Apparently, this cleanse can also bring up the symptoms of past illnesses if it never quite left your system. This makes perfect sense. I have had a history of lung issues. Meaning, I was born with asthma and when I was young, I had a serious lung infection where one of my lungs collapsed and since then, have had some crazy things go on. I was diagnosed once with Legionaries Pneumonia when I was in my early twenties and was in intensive care for a long time. No one in the hospital could figure out why meds weren't helping me. The docs didn't test me for Legionaries at first because typically that comes with many people being infected (hence the name "Legion") in a surrounding area. No one at my college or work had it, so they passed on this test (which takes five days for the results). Finally, after my parents were told to "be prepared for the worst", someone decided to test me and there the positive result was! It baffled everyone that there were no other reports of this illness but me. So they gave me the right meds and I immediately improved. That was the most sick I have ever been. I remember laying there in the hospital in so much pain and in a daze that I was unable to move. Hours and days passed without me realizing it. SO WEIRD. Anyways, since then, whenever I catch a cold, it goes straight to my chest and I bring my inhaler with me everywhere I go. My lungs have never felt super healthy.

It makes perfect sense that I might still be holding some bacteria in my lungs and that this cleanse is doing its magic to help it pass through my body. I don't ever want to get that ill again. I am hoping this cleanse will increase my chances of steering clear of it.

So...I am pressing on thru today and tomorrow.

I feel bad that I don't have anything really positive and inspiring to share today. I made a promise to myself and to you that I would be completely honest and raw about this experience. I do not at all regret being on this and I would suggest it to anyone interested. As sick as I have felt the last few days, I do see other goodness. My skin is really soft and clear. The whites of my eyes are so WHITE and I have dropped weight that has been tough to come off due to depression over the last few years. I also feel inspired to eat more raw foods when this is over and exercise regularly. I have been craving exercise but have felt too weak to do it.

So, don't let this scare you away. For anyone who does this, I would like to return the favor to support you, as my Master Cleanse angel has supported me.

ps. i know you're probably tired of this mirror...but it is the only full length one we have in the house right now! ; ) oh and yes...i practically wear these baggy green draw string hemp pants every day. time to get another color, eh?

26 Comments:

Blogger Chellie said...

Although you haven't felt so good, it has been inspiring to me to read your blog as each day passes. I have been reading about doing the same detox diet and think it would be so good for me. I hope to do it in about 2 months when I am healed and settled at home. One more day.... you can do it.

April 23, 2007 at 6:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger *the mama said...

feel better boho....

i am following, and wanna join when I am done nursing the littlest bean....

sending you feel better vibes.


hugs,
A

April 23, 2007 at 6:08:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your experiance with the detox program intrigues me. I wondered though- could you do this for a shorter period of time? Would the elimintating part get in the way of work? I feel the need to detox my body, as all the junk food I've eated has taken a toll on me and I want to get healthy. I'm just scared of the side effects and how that might affect those around me. Do you have any thoughts?

April 23, 2007 at 6:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Zorana said...

I love your honest posts! They are very inspiring and helpful. I was afraid to try the mc before, but now I feel like I would not be doing it alone. I started today and will go back to your posts for support. Thanks!

April 23, 2007 at 7:08:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A while ago, I noticed that my asthma would flare up when I was really struggling with my sadness and my losses. I later learned that practitioners of Chinese Medicine believe that grief settles in the lungs. Perhaps that is also contributing to what you are experiencing on this detox? I'm curious to know if you see any long-term benefits from the cleanse for your lung issues. Hold on - you're almost there.

April 23, 2007 at 7:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Helen said...

So proud of you for hanging through and *super* happy you found the article. I TOTALLY agree with this and it resonates with what I have known and read firsthand. I worked with a nutritionist for over two years and her whole philosophy was all about the "trash can" (i.e. how are ya poopin?!). Her point is that if you free up your trash can then the rest of the junk that is "backed up" way back up into your other organs & their cells can then let go. She explained how I would go through this healing crisis and for weeks I went through mild to moderate headaches (had history of migraines), sore throats OH the sore throats and even my wrists (carpel tunnel issues) were tighter and aching. It's fascinating but true. And I completely believe that lung issues relate to grief issues, I had a friend whose grandmother died when she was pregnant and her daughter suffers from chronic allergies that end up in life-threatening pneumonia... anyway NOT to be that person putting fear and negativity and advice, but just wanted to send my love and say keep working it how you are, wrapping yourself up in warmth & nurture and cozy love, healing healing golden energy. Proud of you from afar! I've always wanted to do this cleanse but never have.

April 23, 2007 at 8:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

i am so glad you are sharing this because i am planning on doing this cleanse AND i have a severe form of asthma having to take steroids everyday so i can breathe. this would scare me a lot having spent far too much time in hospital with lung issues but knowing its normal will hopefully keep me going. i will definitely be back here to read through for inspiration when i attempt it ...

hope you feel better soon ~ my lungs ached just reading this ... hugs!

April 23, 2007 at 8:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

ps .. i love that mirror, could never get tired of looking at it, so super beautiful, just like its reflection of you : )

April 23, 2007 at 8:43:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you and PROUD of you for kicking MC's butt, no matter how bad you feel. Just think of all those toxins you're releasing. You are inspiring to me, as always. You are such a sweetheart and I just wanted to say hello.

April 23, 2007 at 10:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Rebecca said...

dear boho...

just wanted to say i've been following your journey here, and have found your words so honest and refreshing.

i started the mc two days ago. i had been familiar with it, but never thought i could actually do it. something about reading here has been such an encouragement and inspiration to me... i count it as no accident that the timing worked out this way, as it seems to be the perfect challenge for my body and spirit as well. so thank you.


sending healing energy your way.


rebecca

April 23, 2007 at 11:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks for sharing your experience during your cleanse. Hang in there until the end!

April 23, 2007 at 11:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lucia said...

I am fascinated by your experiences with the detox, both good and bad. Thank you for sharing them. x

April 24, 2007 at 5:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Regina said...

It's amazing all that you have been going through and even more amazing that you have been able to stick with it! Kudos to you for the inspiration!

April 24, 2007 at 6:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Fran said...

I am also inspired by your journey. But I have a lot of questions. I work two jobs do you think it could be squezzed in with work? I get bad migraines when I don't eat. Should this stop me from doing the cleanse?
Are you going to go longer than the 10 days to clear out your lungs totally? I read where the cleanse could be done up to 45 days.

April 24, 2007 at 8:00:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so inspired by your intuition, most of all. you follow your body's needs and you know how to take care of yourself. this is something i need more of. thank you! ONE MORE DAY! GO FIGHT WIN!

xoxo p

April 24, 2007 at 9:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

Like a few other commenters, I've been thinking of trying the cleanse after reading about your experience. I have a feeling there are a lot of disgusting things I need to release! Thanks for the offer of support as I would surely need it.

Way to hang in there!

April 24, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh baby baby-I am so proud of you!

DAY 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya freakin who.

You are fantastic and strong-
I love you sexy slender clean woman you.
XOXOX

April 24, 2007 at 10:22:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Mindy said...

you sharing IS positive and inspiring :) always. bye bye bad stuff. can't wait to say congrats tomorrow! xo, mindy

April 24, 2007 at 10:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Day 10 ~ WOO HOO!!!

I am so in awe of you. You are a toxic-free goddess rock star.

xoxo

April 24, 2007 at 11:35:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your cleanse sounds really good, thank you for writing about it.
This is going to sound a bit odd, alright very odd, especially since I haven't written here before, but, about your green trousers - there's something weird about you and the colour green, I don't know what it is. But in that photo all I can see is black lungs (your top half) and congested and sludgy lower half of your body. I read what you wrote about learning to love your curves but those trousers seem to say that you don't like that part of yourself and that something is literally stuck there. Maybe I'm making this all up because I have read all the struggles you have had with your fertility but I have this feeling that something in you is fighting something else outside yourself. Something to do with your mother's side of the family, especially your grandmother. Try watermelon coloured trousers if you have them and a yellow top.
Bizarre idea of the day, don't mean to be too intrusive or wierd!
x

April 24, 2007 at 12:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger boho girl said...

emma,
i appreciate you sharing your thoughts here and while i don't know you, i'd like to assume you were trying to come from a helpful place...so thank you.

i am feeling really amazing at the moment and not quite resonating with what you shared here. i actually feel i have let go of so much of what i was holding onto with this cleanse. i am not in a place of feeling weighted right now.

as far as my green pants. i simply wear these because they're so fricken comfy! i am a creature of comfort and drawstring pants...and hunter green is one of my favorite colors. i am not sure if i want to analyze it any more than that at this time.

not sure if you saw today's post but i am wearing bright orange clothes...yum. i think you would approve. not quite watermelon and yellow but pretty darn close! ; )

as far as my mother and my grandmother...they were amazing, fertile, happy women that loved to dance...

April 24, 2007 at 1:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger boho girl said...

Lauren,
People have done this for a short period of time but I believe what I read is that sometimes toxins take a bit to actually release from your body, so there is a chance you will not release all toxins you need.

As far as the elimiating part getting in the way of work...I am fortunate to work from home. I did know someone that did this that had an office job. She got up a few hours earlier than usual to do the Salt Water Flush to give herself some time to eliminate.

My hubs waited til he got to work to do the Salt Water Flush...and brought one of those mini water jugs with a handle full of about 9 glasses of the lemon drink.

It's totally doable!!! Good luck...; )

April 24, 2007 at 1:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger boho girl said...

Ferm/Fran,
As far as you typically getting migraines if you don't eat food, I think it would just be important that you continued to drink the Lemon Drink all day long, as well as a lot of plain water and peppermint teas. Supposedly, the lemons and maple syrup provide all the vitamins and minerals you would need and the cayenne pepper helps to loosen up the stuff around your colon (also helps with energy). I would give it a try...and focus on you not having migraines so that you don't create that experience for yourself!

There is a message board that helps with questions like this too. I will put it in my most recent post!

Good luck superstar!

April 24, 2007 at 1:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Hi gorgeous, ravishing you,

I just had to come back here and say that I don't know wtf Emma is talking about but I LOVE you in those green comfy pants. So much in fact that when I see this photo, I just want to put kisses all over your cute belly! xxxxxxxxx x!

schmoops

April 24, 2007 at 5:22:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry if what I wrote sounded critical to you or just plain nasty. That was not my intention, I was really trying to be helpful and I feel bad that it might have come out so wrong. Sometimes I get funny ideas about people and sometimes, if I think it's right I tell them and then they can make up their own minds if i am making any sense at all. I obviously didnt make any sense to you and that is fine, but i wouldn't want you to feel that i was being deliberately hurtful because that wasn't the case. In fact I admire your honesty and strength and only wanted to tell you what I saw. I did like the orange pants though!

April 30, 2007 at 7:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ma'at said...

peace and light
praying everyone is well, at peace and happy RIGHT NOW...not waiting to be happy or for someone to bring it to us!
this post may be a lil 'outdated' but in my realm there is no space or time, so i decided to post it anyway.
i am on day 7 of the MC (my third one in almost 3 years). it has been challenging, but the rewards are outweighing those challenges.
i am glad i was led to this site bc i woke up feeling sooo sick. i was having the detox symptoms: aching body, weakness, nausea, a lil headache here and there, but never felt this SICK on the MC. but after reading your post i am SURE these are detox symptoms and and i will stay on the MC!
growing up i had a history of tonsil infections. they were horrible but never 'bad' enough for doctors to remove them, i was always sick, in bed...i agree that this is my body getting rid of any traces of those infections from my past. so i did a lil salt water gargle (my mom's home remedies, lol) and will embrace this as a sign that my body is releasing toxin after toxin..
thanks for that light i needed, i was in a dark tunnel all morning
peace

November 5, 2007 at 6:56:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home