<

Sunday, April 22

master cleanse ~ days seven & eight


the goods, canon digital rebel xt

Okay, so I love my marmie. Have I ever told you that before? She's absolutely wonderful and just said some pretty amazing things to me during our Sunday morning chat. You never really grow out of needing your parents to be proud of you. Somehow, my mother always knows what to say to put a soothing balm on my heart. She knows what I need more than I do at times.

She shared with me that she didn't feel good about what I said a few posts ago about me having the habit of not finishing things in my life. She told me I sold myself way too short. She said that she's always seen me as a go-getter, never a quitter and that when I've wanted something in my life with a passion, that I have gone full force into it with gusto. She shared that she's always been in awe of this quality and is so proud. She said a few more yummy things that I'll keep sacred.

She didn't realize that when she said this, I gulped down tears as I shared my gratitude and told her I needed to hear this.

When I really look back on my life, she is right. The things I didn't quite finish were the things I wasn't that passionate about. I wasn't willing to move forward with something that I didn't feel right about even if to others it appeared I was quitting. I just didn't want to settle. Having the courage to follow your heart can be challenging in a world that tends to focus on not following your heart.

I like this perspective better. It resonates more with the positive attitude I try to maintain. Thanks marmie for your deep love and gentle reminders!

Now onto the cleanse. Yesterday was day seven and was my toughest day yet. I woke up with a ton of mucus in my chest. It was sore, as was my throat and I had aches and pains everywhere. Later in the day I got a migraine. So, I spent most of the day in bed coughing and napping. The last time I felt like this was when I had pneumonia. I didn't have a fever, so both my hubs and I knew it was me detoxing. It was tempting to give up but that would defeat the purpose of this cleanse. Everyone detoxes differently. I wanted to ride it through because if I really have that many toxins, I want them OUT. So, I slept it off and drank a lot of hot tea and water and some of the lemon drink (although it burned my throat).

Yesterday evening we both went to a beautiful zen spa downtown. We treated ourselves to a clay body wrap and dry brushing, as well as 30 minutes in a steam room. That was the best thing I could have done for my body. The steam helped break up a lot of the mucus and my chest was less tight. So, last night before bed I felt so much better.

This morning, day eight, my chest pain is gone, as well as my aches and pains all over my body. No headache either. I am still coughing up mucus but it doesn't hurt as bad to cough. I still find it difficult to talk for some reason. It puts my chest and throat into a coughing spasm. I don't mind not talking. I can go hours and be silent. I've always been this way.

This morning I got on the scale and I have lost 10 pounds. So has my husband. Speaking of...he has been feeling fantastic. His tough detox days were in the beginning when he had headaches and a lot of mucus. So far he hasn't had any sinus problems (which he has had every day of his life) and he isn't snoring because he is finally breathing out of both nostrils. So, this means his allergies are from certain foods. When we gradually start eating again, we will pay attention to which foods trigger him and eliminate those foods from his diet.

Later this evening we are returning to the spa for a massage and more of the steam room. We realized how much our body needs this and it makes it a bit easier to treat ourselves like this around dinner time!

This spa is dimly lit with candles and zen music everywhere. They have the most soft and cushy robes I have ever worn. Their lounge room has two cushy velvety couches to rest on while sipping fruit water. It's the perfect oasis for anyone on a cleanse. We've been so focused and working hard to get through the tough moments. We felt we deserved some indulgence. ; )

17 Comments:

Blogger Georgia said...

Mmmmm, the spa sounds delicious. I could replace dinner with that ANY day! :)

I am getting ready to start tomorrow... The hubby has backed out *grrrr* but I still plan to move forward. Wish me luck (especially because we went grocery shopping yesterday and STOCKED up... on all kinds of really delectable things. argh.

Love to you.

April 22, 2007 at 12:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger claireylove said...

It's been an while since I showed my face around here, but your words about different types of 'giving up' and different types of 'courage' mean a lot to me today, a day of difficult choices, and I couldn't agree more with your conclusions. I feel the solidarity :-)

Hope you both enjoy(ed) your well earned treat ~ you are AWESOME for sticking at it.

love xox

April 22, 2007 at 12:56:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Spa sounds amazing.

Have a wonderful time you two!

XOXO sil

April 22, 2007 at 1:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger madelyn said...

I have written a few times about this
subject - the failing to follow through -
and I thought it was so resonant for me -
in the sense that when i am passionate -
i always follow through -
beautiful observations from your Mom:)

I wish they had a zen spa here in Vancouver -

keep squeezing!

:)

April 22, 2007 at 3:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Day one of the cleanse for me was today........what a challenge it was to be around groups of people for two separate gatherings and not eat! I'm proud of myself for doing it though. Thanks so much for the inspiration to try this cleanse.....hearing your story gives me hope that i can make it ten whole days!!!!

April 22, 2007 at 5:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

beautiful boho,

your post today opened up a floodgate of emotions on the eve of my raw vegan detox. i feel overwhelmingly excited and terrified at the same time!
your words will be of great comfort to me in the weeks ahead...i thank you for your openess and honesty in sharing them with us.
your zen spa....ahhh, sounds dreamy.. i think you've found exactly where you're meant to be ;-) enjoy your beautiful oasis and time with hubby, it is indeed well deserved!!!
looking forward to hearing about day 9...
you
inspire
me
xo
k

April 22, 2007 at 5:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful conversation with your marmie. Through your words I am able to see some things in my own life a bit differently now.

Thank you, angel.

Hope you and C are in spa heaven right now! You both deserve it for jobs well done.

April 22, 2007 at 7:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Marc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 22, 2007 at 7:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger boho girl said...

good thing i don't crave sweets.

nice try, Marc.

April 22, 2007 at 7:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Marc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 22, 2007 at 7:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mindy said...

isn't mother magic the best? so glad you are feeling better today. enjoy your time at the spa with hubby. you both deserve it for all your hard work. you're almost there!!! xo, mindy

April 23, 2007 at 5:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Wonderful news about boho boys allergies. Amazing isn't it?

I noticed my mood change when I ate some sugar-no news here but good to know it is easier to see food reactions after the cleanse.

Your marmy sounds so fabulous. I felt the love from your description of some of the conversation.

Yeah on the weight loss aspect. I knew it would happen darling-so proud of your focus on the good things.

You are fab. You are almost there....sweetie. I am so proud of you.

Hugs and snuggles
toe to toe
XOXOXOXO

April 23, 2007 at 5:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger nina beana said...

you DO deserve it.

this is so inspiring, i don't even know what to say.

April 23, 2007 at 7:21:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! i am so dazzled by your stick-to-it-ness and your success. you are, without a doubt, a superhero. what is also so inspiring is that you and bb are doing it together, sharing your journey. i feel i would shrivel if i couldn't share these types of things with my hubs. he and carsten should go bowling.

you have some mighty big cajones, sister. i wasn't kidding!

xo p

April 23, 2007 at 9:12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger jenica said...

i love this post. you are making it through this amazing cleanse and coming out a stronger person. (is it possible for you to be any stronger? ;-D) how lucky and blessed you are to have such an amazing mom!

April 23, 2007 at 11:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

how great that you and carsten are doing this cleanse together--you can cheer each other on!!!

April 23, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristen said...

you are doing such an amazing job. i can't imagine how hard it must be.

April 23, 2007 at 2:17:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home