<

Monday, May 14

the boho momma


boho boy's mom & older brother, circa 1968

Mother's day shouldn't just be one day. It should be every day.

Look at this raving beauty. The true boho momma. She wore baby carrier's long before they were hip and in style. Perhaps she started the trend.

I stare at this photograph often and that is why I chose it to honor her. I want to crawl inside and stroll down this sidewalk with her. Something tells me we would do a lot of laughing. She is wearing a smirk on her face here that I often have on mine.

Birgit Kroon is her name...formerly known as Birgit Boelcke.

When her son and I first became serious, I had a longing to get to know her. There is something about the mother/son connection that runs so deep and I wanted to reassure her that I would take good care of his heart. Since she lived in Canada, I didn't have the luxury of stopping by for tea or wine, so I started with emails. We exchanged long emails, back and forth during the months leading up to our first encounter. A sweet friendship developed through our words and it was the foundation of our mother/daughter relationship to this day. Since I tend to be shy sometimes in person, I was grateful for those exchanges. It is easier for me at times to express myself with writing and I chose to be completely raw and open with her. Boho Boy wasn't sure how his mother would respond to my brave spillings and was pleased to see her equally sharing herself with me in return. Our friendship blossomed and we learned we had a lot of interests in common. A few things in particular is our passion for interior design and having a unique style with our clothing and accessories! So fun to share and I get all of her interior design mags when she's finished! Thanks, mom. ; )

She's a fascinating woman. Each time I am with her I gather the wisdom she so freely shares and tuck it away in my heart.

She was born and raised in Hamburg, Germany and in her twenties, moved across the globe all by herself to be a nanny. Even though, since then, she has lived away from her home town, she carries her native culture with pride. I hope someday that we can travel to Germany with her, as Boho Boy did every summer growing up, so that I can see her face light up as she shares the world of her childhood.

Every time we go to visit her in Canada, she has a plethora of German friends that stop by to break some bread and see the "California kids" (as she calls us). It is so fun to see her in her element, speaking the language and feeding us German cuisine...and lots of wine. Always lots of wine.

I often get lost in her big, kind, beautiful blue eyes...and her enveloping hugs. It has been a rough year with her husband passing. They had a creative, wild and adventurous marriage living in a home that could have been a museum. There were people always over for intellectual conversation. Monkey bones boiling on the stove. Archaeological digs to plan. Art to create. A kiln in the backyard to fill. You know...the usual.

Her world is more quiet now. Her strength and resilience is something to watch and learn from. What I love most is that she's taking this time to nurture herself and her body...and surrounding herself with the love of friends and family.

We will be out in Canada in July for Leonard's wake. I miss her. It's hard being away from her during this time. I know she's a pillar but I wonder how many times her blue eyes fill with tears and I wish I could be there to hold her and listen...if she felt up to sharing. Otherwise, I would just sit there in silence and share wine, with no expectations.

I also want to know if she still has that yummy coat she's wearing in the photograph above somewhere in her closet. She must know I am coveting this. ; )

Birgit on their dock, mid seventies

13 Comments:

Blogger Toni M Photography said...

Dearest Boho,

What a warm wonderful post to Boho Boy's Mum. So sweet and tender are your words I just wanted to swallow them all in inside and just sit with them.

You are so caring and sweet with people it's amazing. How wonderful the connection you both have with each other. It makes smile from the bottom of my heart.

Sending my love and hugs to you all through this time,

Big hugs,
Love Toni xoxoxoxo

May 14, 2007 at 10:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Oh honey,

What a beautiful and moving tribute to a lovely and fascinating woman.

What a sweet friendship the two of you share.

I hope you get all get to travel to Germany one day.

And may we both get our coats... {wink}

love you.
xoxo

May 14, 2007 at 11:02:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denise,

This is a wonderful post. What a beautiful friendship you two share!

If you ever come over to visit Germany, we have to meet :D Hamburg isn't that far away from the netherlands.

I have many memories of which the origine lies in germany. This story has brought some back and I think i'll write a post about it later. Thanks for the inspiration ;)

love to you, xoxo

May 15, 2007 at 12:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

this is a lovely tribute to B, love. and my goodness, don't the boys take after their mama! i heart her hairdo in this pic especially :-) love you MB xxo

May 15, 2007 at 2:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Louise said...

What a beautiful tribute to your man's mom!! She must love hearing those words from you, she sounds like an amazing woman of strength and wisdom, what a blessing to share a relationship so close with her, it is always my prayer that I would have a daughter in law someday that I can be close with!!
May your friendship continue and grow during this time!!

May 15, 2007 at 6:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Amanda said...

what a beautiful friendship. you are very lucky that you share so much with her.
love
a

May 15, 2007 at 7:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Erin said...

Such a great post! I love the pictures, she is a beautiful woman!

May 15, 2007 at 8:14:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute for a momma that if full of life and love. This was beautiful honey.

xoxoxo

May 15, 2007 at 10:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother-in-law - she sounds as though she is as gorgeous on the inside as the outside. To be such friends, such soul friends at that is so amazing. I am sure Boho Boy is in awe of how his 2 best gals share this bond.
xo

May 15, 2007 at 6:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger bee said...

i'm a bit teary-eyed after reading that post, there is something so incredibly WONDERFUL that you get to share that kind of relationship with her - i loved reading about how it started, and how it sustains...and the respect and love that's inherent in it for both of you...

May 16, 2007 at 8:26:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful post.

May 16, 2007 at 8:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

what wonderful photos of her, she is so beautiful and isn't it wonderful to have such a special relationship with one's mother-in-law : )

May 17, 2007 at 1:08:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to your mother-in-law! She must adore you. It makes Life so much easier and enjoyable when your husband's parents are also your friends. I lucked out with a great mother-in-law,too. And she's also Canadian. :)

May 19, 2007 at 7:50:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home