<

Friday, May 11

a cool gig


swirly reflection, canon digital rebel xt

I got a photo gig taking pictures of my acupuncturists new spa, as well as her staff for her upcoming website. Last night Boho Boy and I had the pleasure of going into this zen retreat after hours, with only one person there. We became intimate with the room quite quickly. In the dim light, we gathered all the candles and lit each one of them, moved furniture around from room to room, crouched on the floor, climbed ladders...you name it. They had pictures taken before but they were bright and it wasn't at all the vibe one feels when walking in. This place is very dark and candle lit. The ambiance is moody and puts you in a trance. I am hoping we captured this. I will show you some when they're ready. The picture above is the last picture taken...just for you because I thought this mirror behind the reception desk was pretty cool. Although, it's hard to look cute and cozy with a tripod.

The one staff member that was still lingering around in her office was a therapist. She counsels couples that are struggling with fertility. I think it is absolutely wonderful that my acupuncturist has created a place where one can walk in to make an appointment for not only acupuncture but massage, as well as therapy. Each room is full of cushy couches with lush silk pillows, orchids, funky dark furniture from all around the world and of course...candles.

I took a few portraits of the therapist for their website. She doesn't like having her picture taken so it was fun seeing her laugh and relax and transition into confidence. I thought she was gorgeous and has such a welcoming spirit about her. A spirit that said..."talk to me, I am here, I understand". My acupuncturist had told me a bit of her story a while back. This woman had struggled with fertility for years. Her and her husband tried everything and they came to the point where they both accepted this journey. I believe they adopted. Her heart went out to all the couples that have gone through what they have, so she decided to dedicate her life to creating a safe place for couples to be *real* in her office and then guide them to a place of peace. I thought about how difficult it would be to see a therapist that had struggled with fertility but then got pregnant. I think it would shift things. There is something about sharing this journey that is different when talking to someone still struggling compared to someone who no longer is. This woman has a gift and she seems so very at peace that her struggles and acceptance will help thousands of others move through their pain.

She very gently asked me a bit about my story once she realized I wasn't just a hired photographer but also a client. It was interesting because I quickly said "we're in such a good place" and then she got this twinkle in her eye. A twinkle that told me she knew there were so many more layers than I was willing to share in that moment. I laughed and told her I needed to hold myself together for this photo shoot and she put up her hand with a huge smile on her face and said..."I totally get it."

I might make an appointment to see her even though it scares the living hell out of me. Although giggling about girly stuff while taking her portrait might have moved us into a different level of relationship than therapist and client. ; )

13 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

What a neat gig!!
Sounds like an incredibly peaceful place to visit.....ah to have a day at the spa!
Really neat to have a therapist in the building, friendships grow in the most unique of places and situations eh?
Can't wait to see your pics!! You have a gift!!

May 11, 2007 at 8:20:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i am so happy that you got the gig and even happier that you have made such a great connection.

May 11, 2007 at 8:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Judging by this shot, I'm sure they'll be pleased with the ambiance that is reflected. Can't wait to see the rest.

May 11, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful gig. This photo already looks inviting, can't wait to see the others.

xoxo silvia

May 11, 2007 at 3:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another angel. Coincidence? I think not. Thank you for sharing this.

May 11, 2007 at 4:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Oooh, that picture makes me relaxed just looking at it. Can't wait to see the rest. I am sure they will be more than happy with your vision. What a wonderful sanctuary, a cool gig indeed my love.

xoxo

May 11, 2007 at 4:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger HLiza said...

I've been following your journey for quite some time now. I enjoy your stories; all of them so true and honest, and the photos..they're awesome! All my best wishes to you girl..remember to concentrate on your blessings and the happiness you have now..just like what the angel on the beach implied.

May 11, 2007 at 7:38:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You meet the most remarkable people! You are truly being blessed on this journey and the cool thing is - is that you are seeing it. You are feeling it.

Sending love -

LC

May 12, 2007 at 6:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger madelyn said...

From this photo I can tell you
have captured the essence and inspiration of this beautiful spa -
I love how the owner is sharing her
experience as a gift every day with
her visitors. Having a sense of your
lovely personality through your blog
I can just tell you will be wonderful
friends:)
Life is magic that way:)

May 12, 2007 at 6:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

Hey you - congratulations on a great shoot - they were so lucky to have you! I love how the universe is sending you people and support on your journey. Love to you my friend!! xoxo

May 12, 2007 at 11:21:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous opportunity. It sounds like it was soothing and fun all at the same time. I look forward to seeing the rest of the shots.

Have a wonderful weekend honey.

xoxo

May 12, 2007 at 12:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Intrepidflame said...

Sorry to do this to you, but I was tagged with a meme and I have tagged you. See my blog for details.

I miss your portraits for SPC.

May 13, 2007 at 5:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

You are a magical soul-you attract beauty serenity and understanding.

I love reading about your meetings and connections with new people.

And every time I get a bit meloncholy- that we won't stumble upon eachother by living in the same town.

It saddens me to be almost the whole country away.

The photo shoot sounds so fabulous.

I can't wait to see more pictures like this lovely one.

love you

May 13, 2007 at 9:17:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home