<

Wednesday, May 23

making time


my lunch today: brown rice tortilla wraps (avocado, sprouts, turkey, mozzarella,
mustard, olive oil with red pepper pesto dip on the side), canon digital rebel XTi

Lately the days feel so quick and short. Not enough time in them to do all I need or want. Last week I was consumed with my friends wedding and this week I find myself consumed with deadlines for a few projects.

I feel a bit off balance and as a result feel short tempered. I snapped at my husband last night when all he was trying to do was help me solve a software issue that was freaking me out. He deals with situations like that so much better than I do. If he snapped at me when I was trying to help him, it would probably bring on tears or I might snap back. He, on the other hand, quietly turned his chair around and said..."I am just trying to help" in a really calm, centered voice. The silence after his sweetness lingered and about an hour later, when I was ready, I climbed into his lap and explained where my head was.

Part of it is hormonal but most of it is that I have neglected some things the last few weeks that are so very important to me feeling balanced. Exercising for one and connecting deeply with my tribe. I've been spinning and I am in a place of trying to stay centered in the midst of all this stuff coming at me.

One thing I feel has definitely altered in my life after doing the Master Cleanse is that I always make time to nourish my body with food no matter how busy I am. Usually, when I was so busy like this, I would go hours not eating never realizing why I have such a bad headache or feel so lethargic. I am listening closer to the signals and not rushing through making a meal. I am also trying to chew my food slower. Not only do I digest it better but the energy sustains me.

I am struggling though with how to maintain the raw food diet as much as I'd like with how busy I have been. So much of the raw food diet is the preparation. Sometimes it takes up to 8 hours in advance with soaking and dehydrating. I haven't eaten completely raw in a week and my body is craving it. So, for dinner I will attempt to make raw sushi from this recipe book. The ingredients are in my purse and off to the store I go soon.

I am in awe of the people that can do this diet everyday in the midst of their busy lives.

Funny though, when I think about all the stuff in my life that is creating this busy-ness, it is actually stuff I have asked for. Stuff that I have intentionally dreamed about and wanted.

I am so grateful for it all and now I am asking for balance and the ability to make time for everything that is close to my heart.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I just came across your blog and it is really really lovely. I have been peeking at past posts whenever I have a minute. I especially love the photography.

Thanks for creating this.

Susan

May 23, 2007 at 12:33:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that spinning feeling and attempting to stay centered all too well:) Try Apana Mudra. Bring your middle and ring fingers to your thumb while sitting outside if you can. Apana is sanskrit for Earth, so this mudra REALLY helps to ground us. I've been playing with mudras a lot recently. I did an entire yoga practice using Shuni Mudra (middle finger to thumb) to help cultivate some patience ... let me tell you, it works!!!!

Peace
mina

May 23, 2007 at 1:12:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you find your balance very soon. I think you're so wonderful and I just love every post that you produce. Sending good vibes your way!

You should share recipes on your blog! That looks delicious and I know I'd love to see more!

May 23, 2007 at 1:13:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there gorgeous....

you post made me giggle when you described the software scenario with boho boy....its sounds like us! i actually start yelling at my mac sometimes....(maybe i need anger management?)

i also have not been working out due to a bladder infection. its hard to let it all go sometimes, isn't it?

continue to be gentle with yourself denise...you are doing so great my friend.

xx

May 23, 2007 at 1:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kristen said...

the raw food thing makes me feel so clean inside and yet it's the time needed to commit that I find hard to well, commit to. I've been eating poorly with our kitchen being renovated and it's not a good excuse. It seems I'm either exercising consistently or eating well, hardly ever both in synchronicity.

May 23, 2007 at 1:32:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a similar place. I've been feeling off balanced for some time.

I know I need to create more, meditate more, connect more with others...time enough, but I allow myself to dwell to much on certain things.

This post has been a reminder for me. Thanks sweetie!

The food looks delicious by the way! Beautiful colors too :)

Love and hugs xx silvia

May 23, 2007 at 1:32:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amanda said...

i know you will find your way and eventually beautifully balance all the blessings that are coming to you.

May 23, 2007 at 1:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Darlene said...

whooosh ~*~ you posted before I got a chance to comment on the wedding...your photo's are simply the most beautiful I have ever seen. I just told mom (who is visiting) that you have such a gift for capturing the 'essence' of the moment in every picture.

You do something rare and blatantly special with your photography...it's actually breath taking. I felt myself suck in my own breath and I held it, while my eyes read the meaning behind your lens...a visual connection right into your thoughts.

Wow Den...I couldn't be a more prouder sister than what you have made me feel :)

and your lunch looks yummy....and sooo you! :)

miss you honey bun
xoxoxo d

May 23, 2007 at 1:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Louise said...

That looks delicious...mmmm!

Proud of you for explaining to your husband why you snapped, it is such a pride thing for me one that I am SO guilty of when things get crazy and I snap it takes me a while to suck it up and apologize or explaing why....way to go!!

I am also guilty of eating on the run and not always choosing healthy things, your post is a great reminder why that is important! have a great day!!

May 23, 2007 at 2:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

first, that food looks so yummy!
second, i do that...forget to eat. i have been trying to be better and have had to admit that planning in the answer. otherwise, i will eat ice cream for lunch.
three, seeking the balance. you have talked about it so eloquently here. so important and hard.

thanks for the reminder of all these things.

May 23, 2007 at 3:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Georgia said...

That food looks delicious! Thank you for reminding me to eat... I don't think i have yet today, and here it is 3:30 already.... yikes!


I admire what you are doing with trying to eat raw, and eating healthy. I need to find a way to incorporate "healthy" into my life somehow...

Love to you.

P.S.

I just realized that I am a loser and I never called you way back when I was trying to do the cleanse. I will have to remedy that one of these days.

May 23, 2007 at 3:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

TMB, have you read the raw food books written by Leslie and Susannah Kenton? i was a big fan of theirs when i tried switching to a more raw diet a few years back with my ex. i keep meaning to mention it..... lovin the DOF baby ;-) xo

May 23, 2007 at 4:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

What a lovely loving lunch darling...it is fabulous that you have kept up with nourishing your body when it needs it.

I wish I had you as a personal chef.

Hope all settles into a bit calmer busy-being with a friend getting ready and during a wedding plus taking photos probably took a lot.

Sending you time and love
XOXO

May 23, 2007 at 5:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Oh sweetness, I so understand everything you are saying here. I commend you for asking for what you need right now: time to balance all your blessings.

Perhaps we will pick up some good tips at our raw foodie class... kisses

May 23, 2007 at 7:14:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home