<

Saturday, June 23

kapha girls


Beautiful Schmoopy, Canon Digital Rebel XTi

Imagine this...

Walking through a concrete and metal land of high lofts dripping with colors and covered in deconstruction. A contrast to this is the lush green ivy trailing up the side of the lofts and a plethora of tall and small potted plants providing privacy to the entrances of each door as we pass them. Artists of all types live and create there. A whole community of them. A commune of sorts tucked away in the craziness of downtown Los Angeles.

This is where the lovely Schmoopy lead me to today. At the end of our journey, we found our destination. Hip Cooks...a funky loft with a kitchen to die for and a large farm table with bench seats to sit, learn and break bread together.

We spent the day learning how to make and consume raw veggie and fruit juices, raw pasta, stuffed raw mushrooms, walnut pate and dessert tarts. At times the class of 12 would stand around the instructor's half moon shaped counter and help her slice zucchini or push down veggies/fruit in a juicer and fill up wine glasses while she waved her hands around and passionately shared her wisdom of food. She was so totally animated and adorable...creating such an easy, fun, welcoming environment for each of us. The other half of the class was spent sitting at the farm table, sharing our stories and learning more about how and why to juice, detox and tips on incorporating raw foods into your diet.

There were two women teaching and they both had such a balanced way of doing this. They encouraged us to listen to how our bodies react to the diets we try and the foods we consume because we all are so very different that there is no way one diet works for everyone. YES...open and practical minds!

The best part of the day was being with Schmoopy. She's someone you can just melt into because she is so calming, kind and down to earth.



Each student in the class did a test on Ayurveda to find out what dosha body type we were. Everyone was the same dosha except for Schmoops and I. We were the only Kapha's. Totally funny and made us feel special because in another time and place Kapha's were considered royalty. ; )

It cracks me up how the three dosha's (Vita, Pitta, Kapha) sound like sororities!

I am off to hug the redwoods for a week. Bless all of you...

16 Comments:

Blogger Silvia said...

I've never heard of dosha body types before, but I did the test and I am a Kapha-Vita. I'm gonna print out all the info and sheets and dive into this for a while. I don't know what it will bring me, but it all just seems to make sense!

Beautiful photo's Denise, Schmoops is divine!

Sending love to you and boho boy. Hug a redwood for me :)

xoxo silvia

June 24, 2007 at 7:54:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Pitta, very interesting little quiz.

You and Boho Boy have a wonderful, restful trip. I pictures of Schmoops are beautiful!

June 24, 2007 at 9:26:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a kapha as well.

Woohoo ... royalty!

The raw food get together sounds absolutely lovely. Yay for you and schmoops.

June 24, 2007 at 10:33:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was blog jumping and happened to find yours and wow, I am inspired! You have such beautiful thoughts and gorgeous photo's. You are going on my daily feed list!

June 24, 2007 at 4:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger all over the map said...

Love the photos of Schmoops. What a great experience. Definitely something I would enjoy. Just reading about juicing is making me crave one now. I hope you share some things you learnt in the class. that would be nice.
Safe journey. Enjoy the awesome Redwoods with your boy.
xo

June 24, 2007 at 5:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lianne said...

I too am Kapha... reading more about this new discovery right now. Thank you for sharing about your very fun class, fun friend, and this new fun thing.

Love the redwoods... they are sacred temples.

June 24, 2007 at 5:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Irie said...

I took the quiz and I'm a double dosha- vita pitta. My husband, however, is a pita. Thanks for the link.

June 24, 2007 at 8:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amanda said...

schmoops looks beautiful!! the day sounds so fun:)
lucky girls.
xx

June 25, 2007 at 7:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

schmoops looks absolutely beautiful :) wonderful photos ... sounds like a wonderful day :)

June 25, 2007 at 8:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristen said...

have a fabulous trip:)

June 25, 2007 at 4:00:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is the cutest picture EVER...

her sweet spirit just SHINES right through the screen. :)

schmoops is adorabably beautiful!

glad you kindred spirits
got to spend some real girl time together.

have a great week in the redwoods!!!!

with love
mcmermie xx

June 26, 2007 at 11:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Hel said...

Your photographs just take my breath away. They are wonderful

June 26, 2007 at 1:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger My Chutney Garden said...

Love your photos. I found you via Chookooloonks but have always been too shy to post. Hope you have a truly wonderful trip.
Sharon

June 27, 2007 at 2:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Scarlett said...

ya'll are just so darn cute!!! i thought of mentioning the auryveda (i still can't spell that word!) a while back when you were doing your cleanse, i am a vita, and i did do some of the diet suggestions in that book, it's really good, i'm glad you found it and i hope it works for you! hope you're well!!

June 27, 2007 at 4:25:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

Hi gorgeous ~
I had a truly wonderful day with you, thank you for everything. I miss you. I hope your time in the trees has been magical so far. Kapha's rock... {wink}. xoxo

June 28, 2007 at 8:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Indie Mama said...

hey! just took the test, and apparently i'm a kapha too...hehe..

= )

have fun with those redwoods!

June 30, 2007 at 10:14:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home