<

Monday, July 23

so juicy!


our daily juice: carrots, celery, beets, apple, goji berries

A huge contributor to me feeling so balanced lately is juicing. I've wanted to get into juicing for a long time but remembered when I was in high school and my mom and sister got into it and what a pain in the arse it was to clean up. I knew myself well enough to know that this would eventually annoy me and I'd stop doing it. Although, I never forgot how much energy my mother had and how she couldn't say enough about it at the time. That stuck with me.

Over the last few months, there have been a few elements that reintroduced me to world of juicing. First doing the master cleanse, then trying the raw food diet and last but not least attending that juicing and raw food cooking class in downtown Los Angeles with Schmoopy. I saw that the juice machines today are a lot easier to clean and less complicated. Our instructor actually made us juice ourselves to get over any fears we might have of the contraption. Believe it or not, her making me stuff down spinach, seaweed, tomatoes and all this stuff I wouldn't think would be used for juicing opened my eyes and truly inspired me. Especially when she pressed how beneficial it is to drink veggie or fruit juice directly from the juicer because the enzymes, vitamins and minerals are most ALIVE and kicking, making your body oh so happy.

Someone in class asked if it was okay if you made a large amount of juice and kept it in the fridge. Her response to that was that it is best to drink it fresh because some of the vitamins, minerals and enzymes will die off but it is much better to drink it from the fridge than not at all. So, I made the decision go all the way baby!!

I came home on a contagious high and my husband started getting excited too. So, we decided to invest in a quality juicer that would be easy to work with.

Since then we've done it every morning and sometimes for a late afternoon boost. We've tried all sorts of veggies and the cocktail I like best is carrots, celery, green apples, red beets and soaked dried goji berries. I didn't realize how much I LOVE the color of beets. Perhaps that also inspired me to dye my hair red!

I know its important for your body to mix up your juice concoctions and I plan to do this more and more. The other day I tried a recipe from our class for a Bloody Mary with tomatoes, celery, red onions, garlic cloves, oranges, goji berries...YUM.

The shifts I've noticed in my body/soul/mind are my skin feels more clear and supple, I have a balanced energy throughout the day, my mind feels more sharp, my moods consistently calm and I crave more healthy foods. My husband feels the same way.

I want this to be a consisten part of our home and when we have children. I'll make pretty little drinks for them in the morning and perhaps they'll crave carrot sticks rather than chocolate bars. Right! ; )

17 Comments:

Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

oh i've been wanting a juicer myself. i've never tried using one but i've been following a raw foods diet (raw until dinner) and there are a lot of juice recipes...which i can't try out because i don't have a juicer...

July 23, 2007 at 11:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

okay, that's it. i am going to purchase a juicer right this second. i have been procrastinating but this post is just so juicy that you have me inspired to be blessed by beets.

i LOVE you for putting your pinot colored beet red and goji cocktail in a wine glass... with garnish. tres fab!

...oh and my friend makes juices for her two little toddlers and they actually crave things like sweet grape tomatoes and avocado rather than sugar. although dark chocolate bars aren't so bad... {wink}

LOVE you.

July 23, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Silvia said...

You've got me interested...I have a blender which I sometimes use to make smooties.

I don't have any ingredients now so I'll settle on a glass of orange/passion fruit/soja juice and buy some fresh fruits and veggies tomorrow :)

Hope you're having a great day!

xOx Silvia

July 23, 2007 at 11:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger BrianC said...

Thanks for the kind words you left on my blog the other day. So glad I didn't offend with my reference to your site and self-portraits, and happy that I managed to understand something of the essence of your efforts. I also saw that at some point in your past you were a church-goer. I'd love to hear about the current state of your spiritual journey. (I'm currently exploring both Buddhim and Quakerism after years of bouncing between agnosticism and mainstream religious practicee.)

As for this juicing thing and the cleansing regimen you've mentioned in earlier posts, it's something my wife and I should explore. We've developed such bad habits here in NYC. I'm sure we'd feel better if we simply adopted a healther routine and paid closer attention to what we ingest.

July 23, 2007 at 12:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger lisa said...

This looks so yummy! I've always avoided vegetable juice because I hate V8 (and to drink tomato juice in general). My Lyme doctor keeps after me to try juicing because of all the healing, good-for-you stuff that's in it.

Now that I can see the combinations of fruits and vegetables a person can put together, it's looking more appealing. Thanks for another great blog and more inspiration to try something new!

July 23, 2007 at 12:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Georgia said...

Hrmmm... I have been neglecting my juicer lately... I should really remedy that.

My favorite favorite juices are Apple, pear, pineapple. And Apple, Carrot juice. yum. I am scared to juice some of the veggies... My mom juices EVERYTHING though.

xoxo

July 23, 2007 at 2:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Julia said...

My three year old son loves peach juice! He asks for one at least twice a day, he likes to watch me make it. He eats carrot sticks but is a total chocolate addict too!

July 23, 2007 at 3:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I just had a juice craving today while I was at the grocery store. My favorite is carrots, apples, beets, pineapple, and a bit of ginger. It's time to get that juicer back out and make something yummy.

July 23, 2007 at 5:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger britt said...

hi - i used to be a raw foodist and not only was a high from the diet, mixed with meditation - but we would have juice parties where we would all drink fresh juice, sit in candlelight and just feel all kinds of crazy. carrot juice has a lot of sugar - maybe that was why! cheers!

July 23, 2007 at 6:44:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you adopt me and make me pretty little drinks?

:)

xx
mcmermie

July 23, 2007 at 6:47:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sister feeds her children very well, and actually didn't let them drink anything but water till age 2 (except for supplemental formula of course). Now, sure they want a candy snack every now and then, but these kids actually get a little self righteous about having apples and carrots with lunch. LOL!! :)

July 24, 2007 at 1:53:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds like so much fun! I need to move to California so I can take juicing classes with these juicy fun women. You guys are so cool. Why can't I find more like minded souls in Dallas?

July 24, 2007 at 2:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Yummy! Today I made celery, beet, lemon, carrot with a 1/4 of a red pepper.

I grew up drinking veggie juice. I love it but I also love chocolate:)

Love you baby doll. So happy you are taking care of you.

I am enjoying juicing lately too.

July 24, 2007 at 6:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

when we get back from the coast, its the first thing we are buying ... we have been talking about it for years, its time :) mmmmm beets!!

July 25, 2007 at 8:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lianne said...

I have done juicing in the past.. don't even know where my juicer is. But I tell you... the produce you get in So. Cal is on a scale that we here in Utah cannot even fathom. We have carrots, apples, and cabbage.

How I long for the produce aisle at Trader Joe's.

July 25, 2007 at 10:35:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Maddy said...

Just here from 'Tides and Seasons' who describes you as a kindred spirit.

Great posting on juicing, although I have to admit that having just come off more than 7 months of purely liquid diet [jaw surgery] I think I will probably limit my intake.

Ooo the joy of solids! [hope that's not a spoiler?]
Cheers

July 25, 2007 at 11:28:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is the very same juicer that Cean bought me for mother's day! :-) I have been a bad girl and have not juiced in far too long..this inspires me, as do those beautiful photos.

Beets, who would have guessed? They are fabulous.

xoxoxo

July 27, 2007 at 3:57:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home