<

Monday, August 13

niece, sister, friend...


kelly, senior portraits, canon digital rebel xti

After taking her senior portrait, we just played in the sun, sand and waves...







I think some of you know this but I have been an aunt since I was 10 years old. So, I suppose I have in a way grown up with my nieces and nephews (I have 5 all together).

I think because I was so young, they've always seen me as a friend more than anything, which is what I want, what I love about our relationships.

The past four days with Kelly was like hanging out with a girlfriend. Especially because she is such an old soul. All the elements of our relationship surfaced; friend, aunt, sister, daughter, mother... flowing into one another comfortably and gracefully.

She's very sensitive and intuitive, picking up on whether or not I want/need to talk about something and never pressing the issue. We did that for one another. She also sees the bigger picture of everyone and everything in her life, rarely taking things personally which is so difficult to do. It took me until my late twenties to figure that out. She gets it at 17. If someone hurts or offends her, she always seeks and understands what led that person to this particular behavior. Knowing its rarely about her but mostly about their wounded heart. Brilliant, I tell you.

She fit into our everyday life like a glove. She's so curious about health and nutrition (studying to be a nurse), so never once judged our interesting diets or neurosis about food and how they make us feel. She joined us with fresh veggie juice first thing in the morning and snacking on goji berries during the day. She actually had me write everything down so she could begin her own conscious way of eating.

It's so fun to share your wisdom with someone who is hungry for it. It's so heart warming to share your love with someone who embraces it wholeheartedly. It's so refreshing to share your humor with someone who gets it.

One time, her and I were sitting on the bathroom floor, putting our make-up on and curling our hair, looking into the various mirrors I have leaning up against the wall. I made sure I put the mirror in front of her that she was admiring when she first arrived. When I did this, she looked over at me and said..."you're going to be such an amazing mother...you are."

I smiled, gulped back my tears and grabbed one of her cool eye shadows to try.


kelly & me canon digital rebel xti

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post warmed my heart more than you'll ever know. i needed this tonight. the wisdom your niece possesses at such a young age... it was a blessing to be reminded of such truths.

and seriously, denise, i am amazed at your photography. you are my role model for what *good* is in the world of pictures.

August 13, 2007 at 7:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger jenica said...

stunning pics.

you ARE going to be a tremendous mother! i think you already are...

August 13, 2007 at 7:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Darlene said...

Kelly...if you read this, I want you to know that you are stunning and so very beautiful...and I miss you terrible.

Denise~ you're the cool auntie and do so many thoughtful things for all of your neices and nephews. They adore you because you are easy to love and your pherenomes (sp?) are addictive ;)

We do all need to take a girly picture together...lets plan that in Sept.

Booch, Whammies, Dar Dar, Angie poo and Willy. :)

xox d

August 13, 2007 at 7:21:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photography is amazing--you capture magic !
You are both such beautiful people-inside and out. You can definitely tell that you guys are related--yoiur features are so much alike! Good Luck to Kelly in nursing school--her patients will be very lucky:)
And you will definitely be a wonderful mother-no doubt about that:)

August 13, 2007 at 8:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

monkey, these are gorgeous photos of a stunning young woman, and i loved reading about your soulful connection... your whole fam is so delicious i want to eat you all up!

ps. i can't wait for you to take my portrait when i come out there ;-) x

August 14, 2007 at 1:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Brandi Reynolds said...

that picture of the two of you is just incredible. So much strength and femininity radiates through it.

August 14, 2007 at 5:40:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! I'm longing for the sea ... and that dress, too *smile*

Best greetings from at least sunny Germany,
Johanna

August 14, 2007 at 6:06:00 AM PDT  
Blogger bronxbt said...

my gods you are both lovely!
Kelly, you are simply angelic... your smile and passion behind your eyes draws my breath in gasps and awe...

boho, darling.. your proud, "mamma-like" smile in that last pic warms my heart.. and it's been SO COLD lately.

thank you for brightening my day, you both!

lurve,
b

August 14, 2007 at 7:22:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a doll~~~!

oh i just love her. such a sweet, beautiful girl.

(must run in the family)

not only will you be a great mommy, but you already are a great mom. you take such good loving care of everyone around you including yourself.

:)

xx
mccabe

August 14, 2007 at 9:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

baby, you take the most breathtaking photos. she is so beautiful, it runs in your family that is for sure.

what a lucky young lady to have such a cool aunt/friend who takes such good care of her in so many ways.

you already are an amazing mother whose babies are on their way to their compassionate, soulful, hot mama!

xoxo

August 14, 2007 at 10:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger lisa said...

Love, love, LOVE these! What a beautiful girl and beautiful photography. Can't wait to see more!

August 14, 2007 at 10:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Julia said...

This post brought me to tears! It was so sweet! The photos are beautiful, Kelly is beautiful, how you described her soul and the words you chose to use were just perfect! Thanks for sharing!! You are beautiful! And you will be an amazing mother!! Thanks!

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears"

August 14, 2007 at 12:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lianne said...

As always visiting you here has brought me great joy. Kelly is beautiful, your photogs are metaphysically captivating (did that make sense... you captured her spirit) and you, you are just an amazing woman goddess.

I am so glad I know about you and your blog.

August 14, 2007 at 1:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

How bloody incredible are the genes in your family?! Is EvERYONE GORGEOUS?!?

SO glad you had such a great time!! And she is right.

xo

let's talk soon?!

August 14, 2007 at 2:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

you're a wonderful auntie ;-) ...with a very wise, perceptive and beautiful niece.

i'm so happy you had the opportunity to spend this time together.

LOVE the photos...especially the last one of the two of you together.

xo
k

August 14, 2007 at 4:03:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must be a beautiful gene in your family. Your niece is enchanting.

August 14, 2007 at 5:22:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your niece is GORGEOUS. And IA with Bella...your family is so beautiful...all of you. And yes, you are going to be a wonderful mother. Your baby is already lucky to have you. xoxo, M

August 14, 2007 at 5:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh sweetness-it does not surprise me that you connect so closely with her.

These pictures are so freakin fabulous. WOW. You are such a talent.

I love the last picture the most-beautiful you

August 15, 2007 at 2:17:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great time it sounds like you had...the pictures are beautiful

August 15, 2007 at 6:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger madelyn said...

I loved reading of your soulful
connection with your "sister" of
the heart:)

She is quite lumious in your
lovely portraits of her - her
spirit shines out - and
the photo of the two of you
together makes me just beam -
beautiful!

August 15, 2007 at 3:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendee said...

You two, your work, your affection - - are all just gorgeous! What great smiles!

August 15, 2007 at 4:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger sweet expressions said...

this is a cool post and so heart warming I have a son 17 and his knowledge amazes me
at his age it seems like some 17 years olds are wise beyond their years aren't we the lucky ones to
see that for we know they will go on to great things.

I believe your niece to be right you will make a great mom, I have been where you are and I feel this to be true. good luck with your surgery and God Bless

August 19, 2007 at 9:00:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Di said...

Very lovely capture! :)

August 23, 2007 at 1:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Louise said...

Great post! What a great relationship!!
You are both stunning..the pics of her are GORGEOUS!! wow model material!!
You are SUCH a gifted photographer!!

August 23, 2007 at 6:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amber said...

She is really really lovely! You two look a lot alike to me, only light and dark. Do you remember that fairy tale, Rose Red and Rose White? You two are like that.

:)

August 24, 2007 at 8:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow, what a beautiful post and what absolutely gorgeous pictures. The one of the two of you is so sweet.

August 24, 2007 at 9:16:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home