<

Tuesday, August 28

three magical years*


down the aisle ~ 2004 , photos by robin nations

This month marks three years of marriage to my soul mate/friend/husband.

I spent some time this morning thinking about our wedding and the emotional high of that day. One of the moments that is closely knitted to my heart is when I was walking down the aisle towards Carsten.

I remember holding onto my father's arm so tightly as we walked through the trees on the way to the silky, rose petaled aisle. I could feel my father holding back the tears and I knew if I looked at him, the flood of tears wouldn't stop. I just looked ahead, stroking my dad's arms and telling him I love him. My father kept reminding me to breathe. He was a pillar for me that day.

I remembered waiting to feel afraid but that fear never came. I felt like I was walking into a whimsical adventure with a man that I could have sworn I knew as a child, playing in a field of flowers and giggling together. That's how I felt when I met him for the first time. "Didn't we play together as children?" The familiarity was other worldly.

Once my father and I stepped on the silk, I couldn't take my eyes off of Carsten. The way he looked at me wrapped me in a love and tenderness that I had always dreamed of. People told me for years that my idea of a husband couldn't exist. But they were wrong. It was right there before me and I wasn't afraid. I walked towards him with an open heart...feeling so sure of his love for me.

A friend of mine sent me an old Amy Grant song the other day. Believe it or not, she was my hero back in the 80's. I memorized the lyrics to all of her songs and still remember them to this day. I had forgotten about the song my friend sent to me.

When I heard it yesterday, the tears fell. I remember when I was in my early teens, listening to this song, dreaming of this very love I have found. Dreaming of falling in love with a man that loved me back fiercely. That wasn't afraid to give his heart. A man that was sensitive to the core but whose strength always made me feel so protected. I would listen to this song and imagine us dancing, gazing, filled with a warmth that was pure magic.

I didn't realize that I was manifesting a reality for my future...




Happy Anniversary my love. Our love inspires me every day. That day my heart was so full that I could never imagine our love growing because it was so big. But it has. Deeper, wider and more free. Thank you for loving me so much that you set me free each day to create the world around me that I need to thrive. It always draws me even more near to you. Every day...

Here is the song:

Let me say once more that I love you,
Let me say one time, maybe two,
That I love the way that you love me,
And I wish I knew more of you.

Tell me that time can't erase
This look of love on your face.

Let me say once more that I need you,
One more time or just maybe two.
Oh, my life will always be richer
For the time I've spent here with you.

Let me say once more that I love you,
Let me say one time, maybe two,
That I love the way that you love me,
And I wish I knew more of you.

Tell me that time won't erase
The way that my heart sees your face.

I call your name,
You look my way,
It's clear you trust each word I say.
When life is long and problems come,
You'll always be my only one.
So now we're standing face to face,
And with one look your eyes embrace me.
Squeeze away each haunting fear,
And say the words I long to hear.

Tell me that time won't erase
This look of love.

Let me say once more.
I love you.
I do.

"Say Once More" by Amy Grant

35 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

WOW!

August 28, 2007 at 11:09:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

You gave me goosebumps for you (and for me - eeep!) Happy Anniversary you two - this will be your greatest year yet!

love LOVE LOVE LOVE xo

August 28, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

this was beautiful baby... and my god, you looked fabulous in your dress :-) xxox

August 28, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

happy anniversary bohos! the way he is looking at you in that first photo.... um, swoon!

you both make me smile and dance. i love when you say you wonder if you played together as children as jimmy and i said the exact same thing to each other when we first met. it was wild to me when i first heard you say that. i love how much i understand your words and that knowing of when you find the person you were meant to be with.

i wish i had known you then and could have shared in your love on this beautiful day. thank you for sharing these photos, you both are breathtaking. you can just feel the love radiating in these images.

wishing you a day filled with love, laughter and beautiful memories today and all the days to come. you are a truly gorgeous couple with an inspiring story of love.

kisses to you both. xoxo

August 28, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

hey!! me and meggie commented at the same time!!

August 28, 2007 at 11:35:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful words...*sigh*

Happy Anniversary you two!!

xox

August 28, 2007 at 11:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger ritu said...

happy anniversary to both of you. saw your music list.. it could have been mine..:o)

August 28, 2007 at 11:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!
You both look so beautiful and very much in love.
Amy Grant was one of my favorites when I was in high school...

August 28, 2007 at 12:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Natalie said...

wow...what a wonderful way to remember a union between two soul mates.

the pictures are beautiful...but your descriptions are breathtaking!

Congratulations on 3 years....you make it seem effortless!

August 28, 2007 at 12:02:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

husbands are so groovy...enjoy your day.

August 28, 2007 at 12:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mames said...

congrats on your third year...it seems august was the time to form the bonds that will never break. reading your words brings such great joy as i revel in the love i have for my husband. it is amazing to think we can be loved as we are. yours is a beautiful thing to stand as witness to, though it is just as a reader of your blog. cheers.

August 28, 2007 at 12:52:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you. I celebrate my 11th this Friday. (=
You look stunning in your dress (I love the back) and of course, the way you and your man look at each other, it's definitely a love thing. The first dance photo is stunning.

August 28, 2007 at 12:57:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Happy anniversary!

I too had/have a fondness for Amy Grant.

August 28, 2007 at 1:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lucia said...

That's lovely. Congratulations :o)

August 28, 2007 at 2:56:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Denise,

I just want to say that your beautiful relationship with your husband is so incredibly inspiring, I hope my Marriage will be as strong. Andrea and Matt I also find inspiring as well - I am so incredibly happy for you today and I hope you have a wonderful, loving anniversary. Warm hugs from Toronto :)- Andrea Daoust

August 28, 2007 at 5:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

sweet....happy anniversary!

August 28, 2007 at 5:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Genevieve said...

I'm getting married to the love of my life in six weeks and i can't wait! He was my first boyfriend and i'm his first girlfriend. People used to tell me that i was too intimidating, too ugly, too dark, too fat, that i would never find someone who loved me.
Well, i have and he's everything i could ever have hoped for. And then some.

Happy Anniversary!

August 28, 2007 at 5:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristin said...

I absolutely LOVE your Lovestory! Sooooo romantic! And Happy Anniversary! Our 3 year is on Sunday =)

August 28, 2007 at 6:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful.

all of it.

you deserve such excruciating happiness and joy.

August 28, 2007 at 7:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger PixieDust said...

Imagine the Flintstones, ok? Here goes:

Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
HAAAAAppy Anniversary!
Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy -
Happy Anniversary!

:-D

August 28, 2007 at 7:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

you & your boy take my breath away...
happy anniversary to you both.
all my love,
k

August 28, 2007 at 8:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Georgia said...

:)

Happy Anniversary!

xoxo

August 28, 2007 at 8:08:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to read this today.

Happy Anniversary!

It matters so much to me to know that love, such as what you both share, exists.

August 28, 2007 at 8:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mindy said...

so beautiful...you look like a goddess in that gorgeous flowing gown. please know that your love story is one that inspires me so much...happy anniversary to you and your soul mate! xoxo

August 29, 2007 at 4:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Marcia Francois said...

I know exactly what you mean about not being scared at all.

This post was so beautiful and so were you (on that day) and now.

Congrats to both of you!

August 29, 2007 at 6:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Martha-Anne said...

Congrats on three years! A beautiful post and gorgeous pics of you guys!

August 29, 2007 at 6:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Swirly said...

Happy Anniversary!

August 29, 2007 at 8:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Brandi Reynolds said...

I am walking down the aisle in 9 days to meet my best friend. What a journey it has been and I am so excited to see where the adventures turns from there.

August 29, 2007 at 8:36:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me smile so wide. A big, warm Happy Anniversary to the two of you...may your just continue to grow and deepen and flourish.

xoxoxo

August 29, 2007 at 12:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger all over the map said...

May the love you share continue to grow stronger and deeper with each passing day.
It's the most beautiful thing to see two people celebrate each other the way you two do.
May the blessings continue to pour out on you.
Happy Anniversary beautiful souls.

xo

August 29, 2007 at 5:21:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to the boho family! We used to love Amy Grant too... oh my goodness, so much. She was just SO COOL. :) I knew all of her songs! The one your friend sent you is perfect for you and your hubs. The pictures look magical from that day three years ago. I hope this next year brings lots of wonderful surprises and continued growth.

August 30, 2007 at 10:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger jenica said...

congarts you beautiful boho's. many more beautiful and fulfilling years to you!

August 30, 2007 at 11:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AmiDA said...

so beautiful :)
happy anniversary!! :)

August 31, 2007 at 8:12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger madelyn said...

i love the love in that swooney
photo - and warmest wishes
for your special day:)

September 1, 2007 at 8:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Erin said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to your husband. You just pour love out of your writing, always. I can feel how much you love each other when I read your words and see your pictures. You two looked beautiful on your special day.

September 1, 2007 at 9:43:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home