<

Tuesday, September 18

magical day*


sweet giftie from McMermaid on my doorstep, canon digital rebel xti

My birthday was a magical one. I've noticed that as the years press on, I am less excited about my birthday. It has nothing to do with getting older. I've never been one to freak out about that. When many of my friends were leery about turning 30, I wanted to shout it to the world. I had heard from so many of my hero's that in your thirties, somehow your experiences make you more comfortable in your skin, so I was ready for that. Now that I am 36, I can say that is indeed true....but I have noticed that I no longer crave the idea of a party or gifts or making a big deal about it.

After this birthday, that just might change! It was magical...from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep. It felt good to celebrate my entrance into the world and as time went on that day, it wasn't just about that. It became more about what this whole year has been about for me. It was a time to reflect on all I've gone through and the wisdom I've gained. This time last year, I was frightened after months of fertility treatments not working and I was just about to embark on a holistic path to healing. Wow...so much has transpired and I am grateful for every morsel of it. Because today, I am a more calm, at peace me. I am more in touch with my body and I am in love with taking care of it, knowing I have so much more to learn.

I woke up to Boho Boy bringing me what we call "special drink". It is a creamy yerba mate tea blend with chocolate almond milk (did your mouth just water?). He then put a HUGE brown Anthropologie box on my lap. You can imagine my grin became too huge. Us girlies like big brown Anthropologie boxes...because that means either one huge yummy thing or many yummies inside. ; )

It was a gorgeous floral silk lined coat. When I tried it on, it wasn't a perfect fit, so he decided to take me back to the store after breakfast to switch it out (oh darn). We usually get water delivered to our doorstep, so he asked me if I could bring one in (wink, wink). When I peeked outside, I saw a bundle of colorful, painted rocks laid out on our doorstep. My heart swooned. I sat down in front of them so I could read each one carefully. Tears welled up in my eyes. Sweet McCabe drove 30 minutes this morning to leave this beautifully thoughtful gift for me full of all the affirmations my heart needed to hear. She had conspired with Boho Boy in secret. I felt an overwhelming amount of love and care for our friendship. She sprinkled her magic on my doorstep and that magic lasted the remainder of the day.

I had many birthday songs and sweet messages in my voicemail box and lovely packages from sweet dear friends and family. Boho Boy hung out on the couch at Anthropologie reading books while I salivated all over their clothes. This was the coat I chose! We browsed through bookstores, ate a scrummy salad, loaded up on health food and then he took me on a go-cart ride around the new gorgeous Spanish style school he works at. We then dropped the food off at home and drove up to the mountains to stargaze when it became dark. Snuggling up to him on the blanket and starring at the stars was dreamy. It was quiet and peaceful and surreal. Its been too long since I've done this and yes...two falling stars had my wishes.

I didn't realize how much I've needed this time to reconnect with him. I've been in a bit of a daze following the surgery and he has been working around the clock on websites and databases. We really missed one another and my birthday was the perfect excuse to fill our love cups.

This week I am feeling better but still not yet myself. I am having a hard time knowing when I push it too hard until its too late. I am trying to pace myself but I like to be on the go, so perhaps have not been as patient as I should be. Another lesson in taking gentle care of my body and listening to its signals.

Oh...and speaking of magic, thank you to everyone who left a comment for Grayson in my last post and/or left a message on his carepage. It is making the WORLD of difference. He is back in the hospital not feeling well, so if you're inspired, keep sending your love. Thank you so very much.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you had such an awesome birthday Denise! Cheers to you :) I hope this next year brings you all your joy, smiles and laughter to a whole new level!

September 18, 2007 at 3:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lina said...

I have been reading your blog for a few months now, and i just want to say happy happy birthday, so glad it was such a beautiful dreamy day!!!
Peace

September 18, 2007 at 3:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

such yummy rocks! i am happy you had such a magical day.

you have another package coming but she couldn't ship it out until thursday... so think of it as your birthday month and keep the celebration going.

xoxo

September 18, 2007 at 3:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger all over the map said...

It is so wonderful that you had such a glorious birthday. Happy Birthday girlie - ok a little belated but the nonetheless the sentiment is still the same. Mine was the 14th! Yeah to September babies.

McMermie rocks! I admit I welled up a bit. The gesture that she cared and left you such a personal surprise, and at your doorstep no less, is simply awesome and obviously made you feel so loved. There is nothing better or more special than a friend that loves on you. It's such a good example, and reminder, to love on those we care for and take the time to make it special and personal. It's not about the gift it's all about the act and this one spoke volumes.

Your day sounded like pure bliss and balance. Just what you needed. It is an important day and I hope the rest are filled with the same magic that this one brought.

I also feel the same as you regarding "getting older". I embrace this entirely and am enjoying the journey. There is nothing good in worry, is there? I still think birthday cake and candles are pure magic; even at 40. It is all about celebrating life and counting our blessings. Thanks for counting yours and sharing them.

September 18, 2007 at 7:37:00 PM PDT  
Blogger all over the map said...

oh yeah . . . . . i forgot to add the love. . . .

xoxoxoxo

September 18, 2007 at 7:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Amber Cargile said...

What a perfect day! :-)

September 18, 2007 at 7:55:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a magical day
for a magical girl~*~*~

sounds just about right to me.
;)

i am so glad you
FEEL
as loved as you are....

with love
mcmermaid

September 18, 2007 at 9:27:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, i meant to say WATERgirl....

:0

September 18, 2007 at 9:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jaime said...

Cute jacket! And Happy Birthday! It sounds like a lovely one.

September 18, 2007 at 9:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

denise...
your journey is so beautiful..and you have so many lovelies on the path with you..continue to travel gently with purpose...
and continue to celebrate your natal day in love and joy
all good things, all ways, always
mama clarity

September 18, 2007 at 10:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

mcmermaid rocks take my breath away!!!
it sounds to me like you were treated to the day you deserved... wishing you many more magical days like it, in the year ;-)
love to you,
kirsten
xoxox

September 18, 2007 at 10:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kelly said...

Dear Boho Girl,
Happy Birthday. Sounds like it was a truly magical day.

September 19, 2007 at 6:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Swirly said...

Happy Birthday Sunshine...I am glad you had a fun day filled with delicious-ness!!

September 19, 2007 at 7:53:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

September babies rock! :) Mine's on the 29th...coming up on my 37th...yeah baby!

I am so happy to hear that you had a great b-day. May you have many, many more years filled with love, friendship, peace and magic.

xoxo glo :)

September 19, 2007 at 10:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

what a beautiful magical day for a beautiful magical girl :)

xox

September 19, 2007 at 10:44:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it does indeed sound like it was just perfect! I am so glad to hear that you are up and around a bit more and that your day was full of all the best things.

Love you.xoxo

September 19, 2007 at 12:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger bee said...

oh, boho girlie...

i am so happy your birthday was so full-filling! much, much love and joy to you, that i hope spreads out and envelops your year.

September 19, 2007 at 2:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Martha-Anne said...

What an amazing birthday!!! I'm so glad!!!!

September 19, 2007 at 2:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger madelyn said...

such a perfectly magical day:)

i love those pretty stones on your
step - a true and imaginative friend -
and hurrah for romantic husbands!

I know you wishes will come true

:)

September 19, 2007 at 7:05:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yayyyyyyyyyy
for
magical r0cKs
and a swell birthday

xxoo
nicole
11photographs.com

September 25, 2007 at 7:10:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home