<

Wednesday, December 19

holiday rain*


rain & leaves outside my home, canon digital rebel xti

I get absolutely giddy when it rains. I am the opposite of most people in that I feel lighter and happier in chilly rainy weather. When it gets too hot, I feel lethargic and a bit depressed. I suppose this means that living in the Southern-est (new word) part of California is probably not the best place for my emotional well being. ; )

This morning I woke up to rain and as I looked down at all the gorgeous red and orange toned leaves (my favorite colors), I just had to grab my camera and get wet.

In a few days, I'll be leaving to be with my family in Northern California. My parents live on the bottom of the Sierra Foothills and the view from their adorable house up on the hills is magical. Snow capped mountains and rolling hills with houses draped in holiday lights.

I am craving time with my family. Last year during the holidays, my dear nephew was in a dreadful car accident and we spent all day, every day, in intensive care praying for his life. Today, although his body is not back to normal, he is much improved and buried in studies to be a respiratory therapist. This was inspired by his time in the hospital and the excellent care he received from his RT's. So, this season, we are marinating in the fact that although it was one of the scariest times in our lives, it has also brought some blessings into his life...as well as ours. We have all walked away from this not taking one another for granted.

After being with my family, I'll be heading to San Francisco with Boho Boy and his Boho Brother until the new year. We are house swapping with a friend of mine. It will be Boho Brother's first time in the city. Can't wait to show them my old stopping grounds in Berkeley. That place is home to me. I'm excited to pack my cute rain boots and play in the puddles all snuggled up in hats and scarves.

If I don't get a chance to post again over the next few days before I leave, I wish all of you a peaceful, soulful, messy~beautiful, drippingly gorgeous holiday. Cry if you need to. Dance in the rain. Make love under the Christmas tree when all are sleeping. Belly laugh as often as you can and remember its so not about the gifts but all about the love and comfort of those that get you and even those that don't.

Blessings.

29 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

be well, happy solstice, christmas and new year...

we are working on getting snow in the Sierra right now, so it should be all pretty for!

cheers,

December 19, 2007 at 10:33:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denise,
Happiest of Holidays to you....Im glad you are brimming with spirit!
Have a safe trip to your folks....are they in Oakdale by chance? Im not far, just south of Modesto, and get to enjoy the beauty of the foothills as well....and its a quick jaunt when I wanna get messy with snow and, nautre! Be well....
Becca

December 19, 2007 at 11:06:00 AM PST  
Blogger boho girl said...

thanks sweet becca!

i don't think i should really give away where my parents live since i try to be cautious about that stuff on the internet and all. ; ) but it is somewhat close, a bit more into the mountains...yes!

getting messy with snow...so FUN.
XOxo

December 19, 2007 at 11:09:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO! YES! Of course...didnt want you to post that, goodness no, thats the last thing your parents need!
BUT, you'll be close.....I'll send you a hug and hope ya can feel it!
Blessings!xoxo

December 19, 2007 at 11:13:00 AM PST  
Blogger boho girl said...

i feel it already!
hugs back to you, becca-licious.
xoxo

December 19, 2007 at 11:15:00 AM PST  
Blogger Swirly said...

Safe travels my love, and have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. I love you.

December 19, 2007 at 11:26:00 AM PST  
Blogger Kristen said...

wishing you a magical holiday season too!

December 19, 2007 at 11:27:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blessings to you dear one ~ much love,
stef

December 19, 2007 at 12:21:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you have a safe and wonderful trip...both to see your beloved family, as well as in S.F.

Happy Holidays to you all..hugs, warmth and love.xoxoxo

December 19, 2007 at 12:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Scarlett said...

wow! i live in the northwest (oregon) and i get depressed here because it rains for months on end without stopping! we hardly see blue skies for months, and i need the sun to thrive! (i'm from the south and it's a bit too hot there....) maybe we should switch houses!!! mine's pretty darn cute!!!

hope you have a wonderful holiday.

December 19, 2007 at 1:05:00 PM PST  
Blogger kristen said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours and safe travels north. I love the Bay Area - I spent my 20's in SF and I have a real love for the city still.

So cool that you're swapping houses - what a great idea.

December 19, 2007 at 1:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Sweet travels...
sweet memories..
sweet family...
sweet you! xx

December 19, 2007 at 4:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Liz said...

OH I am so with you on the rain making me happy happy happy! have a beautiful time with your family...

December 19, 2007 at 5:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger thisdreamergirl said...

I just wanted to share that I really do love reading your posts.. they make me feel comforted and inspired at the same time.. So Happy Holidays.. and Thank You.

December 19, 2007 at 7:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger mames said...

enjoy your holidays...it sounds like you are not far from the same part of the sierras we head to when we have the time. i love those mountains. and i feel the same about the rain....funny, i would not wish to be elsewhere at this time but i do miss the places we once lived that carried more weather to us. happy happy holiday, denise...have a great time.

December 19, 2007 at 8:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Have a wonderful time with your family and in the City. What fun. (It's raining here and should be right through the holidays - enjoy)

December 19, 2007 at 9:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jill said...

I love the rain too! Probably something from my childhood when my mom would look out the window on a stormy evening (and we had a lot living in the tropics), close the curtains and say, "Nice night to stay home."

Merry Christmas to you!

December 20, 2007 at 5:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

one day, me and you will have a snowball fight - yeah!!! i love you MB - wish i could pop by for a mince pie :-) safe travels..... xox

December 20, 2007 at 5:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger sweet expressions said...

may you and your family have the happiest of holidays and may all your wishes for the new year come true

December 20, 2007 at 8:38:00 AM PST  
Blogger The Passionate Palate said...

Boho Girl, you always help me feel reconnected. A beautiful post. I, too, love the rain (especially since we rarely have "weather" in So Cal)! I had so much fun on my walk this morning stomping through all the wet leaves that fell the last two days. Bring it on!

Thanks for the last paragraph as I know these holidays will be full of lots of sadness along with the happiness for our family. I have to remember it's okay to cry!

Happiness to you.

December 20, 2007 at 9:02:00 AM PST  
Blogger Stacy said...

instead of a snowman, you should build a "bohoman"

cheese, i know. i couldn't resist. ; )

xoxo

December 20, 2007 at 9:40:00 AM PST  
Blogger selftaughtgirl said...

Have a wonderful time while you are here and if you need anything, you have the digits!

xo,
Kate

December 20, 2007 at 11:09:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rain is so rich, and of course, maple leaves are glorious in it. With thanks for your acquaintance, with every good wish, and with a nod to your nephew, whose story proves indeed that there are no accidents.

December 20, 2007 at 11:44:00 AM PST  
Blogger Kimberly Scott said...

i am jealous of those phots. period.

December 20, 2007 at 2:55:00 PM PST  
Blogger Cali said...

Merry Christmas to you, sweetness. Sending more hugs than you can count. Have fun with your family!!

Love, calissa

December 20, 2007 at 6:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger La Page Française said...

Thank you for your offerings of inspiration and beauty on your blog. I hope you have a magical holiday with your loved ones and dreams coming true in the new year...

December 22, 2007 at 4:07:00 AM PST  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Hard to believe Mark's accident was a year ago already. Wishing you joyous holidays, Denise...and best wishes for a loving, authentic, beautiful 2008.

December 23, 2007 at 10:33:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boho Girl I go to your sight when I need to find some peace in my heart.You are amazing and its obvious you touch so many souls.Thanks for sharing all that you do.

December 28, 2007 at 2:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lianne said...

You should have come to Hawaii with me. The rain was its own orchestra, drumming on the roof and through the trees and bushes. It was magical, albeit a little excessive.

My love to you and yours this season.

December 28, 2007 at 4:01:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home