<

Tuesday, December 4

meme*


today's self portrait, canon digital rebel xti


Inspired by Thea:

Have you taken any dance classes in the past year that you loved?
The only dancing I've done is up in my studio in the mornings to get my blood flowing (and to help me loosen up mentally, as well as physically). I love to dance. I danced most of my life. I've been wanting to take up belly dancing again. This question has inspired me to look into some classes for the new year. One of my favorite dance classes ever was back when I lived in Berkeley. It was called "Karuna" (i think its called TransDance now) and it was at the YMCA. Totally wild and free stuff. I think people would be surprised at how good of a dancer I am. I know my husband would. Not sure why I am so shy about it now. I used to do it in front of hundreds of people. I have a weird thing in regards to being shy about my talents. I am the same way with singing. I find myself toning it down when around people but when I am alone, I let it go and down deep I know I'm pretty good. I wonder what that is all about. Hmmmm.

What is your favorite tea and where do you get it?
Vanilla Nut Yerba Mate. My dear husband orders it online here. We let it steep in our bodum for a while and then mix it with warmed up vanilla almond milk and a little squirt of agave nectar. Delish!

What is your favorite podcast? What do you love about it?
I haven't listened to many but one I will never forget was by my friend Penelope. It was an interview about her journey into illustration and it was beautiful and inspired me to be more brave and playful with my own art.

What food did you love when you were a kid, that when you eat it as an adult it brings you back-carries so much more than just the flavor-but memories. And would you share a recipe?
Believe it or not...BBQ pork spare ribs. My father was an ace at this and it was a special treat for him to BBQ outside and for us to enjoy it as a family on the weekends. He had a special sauce that we still cannot master. I don't eat meat that much anymore but even if I get a whiff of BBQ ribs it brings back such fond memories of my sisters and parents with sauce all over our face and huge smiles. The recipe is top secret...obviously. ; )

What was the last thing you bought yourself?
This sweet lens.

What color is your bedroom? Is it the nicest room in the house?
Our bedroom is a dark midnight blue which is really soothing to be in. I love it because my husband built an arched entryway, so it has a beautiful Spanish ambiance. Although, I think the nicest room in the house is our studio up in the loft. Perhaps because for me, it is full of creativity and inspiration. I also have pieces of my dear ones all around me. You can even see in this picture a flower print from Thea, a portrait of me and Boho Boy taken by Susannah, a boho barbie from Jen, a shawl draped over my chair that Frida brought from Afghanistan and me wearing Schmoopy's sweat pants that she left here! So much love and more spread throughout that is not seen here in this picture.

Are you a better cook or baker?
Definitely a better cook. Boho Boy is the baker. He made a gluten-free pound cake that was to die for a bit ago.

What time do you go to bed usually and when do you wake up?
I don't really have a set schedule. There are nights that I cannot shut my mind off and I get to bed way past midnight and wake up around 8am. Then there are nights I go to bed around 10pm-ish and wake up at 6:30am. Depends. I've been wanting to do more of the later but I am trying my best to get at least 8 hours of solid sleep per night. It's so key to replenishing your body, mind and soul.

What sign are you? Do you know your rising and moon? When is your birthday?
I am a Virgo. I don't know my rising moon yet. I wish I did. My birthday is September 15th. How do you find out your rising moon, anyways?

What was the last thing you said no to that felt like you were taking good care of yourself?
I had to say no to a really amazing party invitation that was celebrating a close friend of mine. I was not feeling well but more than anything was feeling overwhelmed and not myself. In the past, I may have gone regardless to please my friends but it felt really good to be honest and my friend completely understood and appreciated my honesty. Our friendship is stronger because of it.

What is your happy place you go to in your mind when you need to close your eyes and take a moment for peace and calm?
Most of the time my happy place is an enchanting garden with waterfalls, ponds with lily pads, birds singing, trees creating arches above me and a myriad of flowers. I'm always in a white flowy dress. Sometimes its the ocean but mostly the garden awakens in my mind.

I tag anyone who is inspired to play on their own blogs. Just remember that the last question has to be one you've made up.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

i loved reading all these sweet, juicy bits about you.

next time i see you we will dance and sing. i get shy too, but we will overcome that! i don't think i would be surprised at all at how good of a dancer you are. youz got mad skillz, girl... hee hee

you are too yummy in my sweats, that are now yours. they were made for you!

i think your rising sign is determined by the time you were born.

love you, yummy you.
xoxo

December 4, 2007 at 12:09:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love figuring out moon and rising signs -- it's not too difficult (i have a book i used and had my chart done twice afterwards), i bet there's someplace on line that figures it out for you now! loved going back to your first blog post as i've never gone so far back in your blog)...and as a dancer myself (any kind but belly is what really got me recognizing the dancer in me), i have this site bookmarked as they just totally mesmerize me...http://www.urbantribaldance.com/
and this one has me curious http://www.movingarts.net/

December 4, 2007 at 1:15:00 PM PST  
Blogger Martha-Anne said...

fun!!! i played along on my blog! thanks for the mental break from my school work! :)

December 4, 2007 at 4:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger madelyn said...

I loved your description of
your studio being filled with
reminders of all the love in your
friendships ~ it is a magical
and blessed energy to have around ~
these beautiful gusts of their
spirit ~
Your yerbe matte sounds delish ~
I love the chocolate teabags and
loose tea they sell but I have not
seen the bottled nectars ! Yum:)

On saying "no" ~ I still struggle
with that one and yet I am
learning how wonderful it feels
to take care of myself so
I can be even more 'present' for
everyone els ~

fun meme sweetie:)

December 4, 2007 at 5:03:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw. thanks miss! I'm so flattered.

I loved that photo of you too. You are radiating joy. Like sunshine.

xo, pd

December 4, 2007 at 5:50:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

denise you are such a gift to us all - much love...

ps. thanks for the sweet compliments on andrea's site:)
xoxoxo
stef

December 4, 2007 at 10:17:00 PM PST  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Hee hee-I am clapping and dancing in my chair and kissing the screen with big soft smooches-you are so cute-and I looooove that you answered this meme and added your own fabulous question.

To answer yours: my place is a hammock swaying in a soft breeze by water-sometimes a beach sometimes a lake.

I love you so much darling.

This was super fun to read.

December 5, 2007 at 6:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger vava + wei wei said...

Hey I've been following your blog because I'm totally in love with your photographs.and the lovely posts that's inspire my own reflection

Am a fan of astrology myself, check out cafeastrology.com, and get your free birth natal chart. You'll get your rising sun and moon from there, it's very accurate, and more so if you know your birth time.

My own blog is sublimelydivine.blogspot.com

December 5, 2007 at 8:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

I'll play with you...hope your day is magical!
xx

December 6, 2007 at 12:03:00 AM PST  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

so much delicious yumminess in this meme, honey ;-)
your vanilla nut yerba mate sounds absolutely lovely!!!
thinking of you, with love.
xoxoxo

December 6, 2007 at 9:16:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to know your birth time. I highly recommend going to www.astro.com. Open a free account and it will let you play around with their charts for free. You can do compatibility charts too. So fun!

December 8, 2007 at 9:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mariette said...

Thanks for the meme, I really needed the mental pause from my hectic retail world this week.

I borrowed it for my blog, too.

By the by, your photography is beautiful.

Cheers!

December 12, 2007 at 10:48:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home