<

Thursday, December 6

waves*


waves at Wind & Sea beach, canon digital rebel xti

My husband phoned me up yesterday morning telling me that there were 20 foot waves and encouraged me to go to the beach and watch. This does not happen very often here and when it does, surfers are encouraged to stay out of the water (but of course the seasoned ones rarely heed that warning).

When I arrived, the cliff above the beach was lined with a plethora of people. Strangers were having conversations about the power and beauty. Interesting how nature can bring us together as one big tribe of appreciation and awe. I always marvel at this when we're hiking and everyone that passes says "hello" and/or smiles. It is a nod of understanding between nature lovers that doesn't happen when crossing one another on a city street.

Although, rather than join the tribe up at the cliff, I was craving some quiet time, so I took a risk and walked down the steps to the rocks and got a bit closer. When I sat down, feeling the splashes of water on my skin, I was joined by a winged friend. I felt like he was trying to communicate that I really shouldn't share this alone.


my winged friend, canon digital rebel xti

So there we sat, side by side, feeling the powerful vibration of the thump beneath the rocks one after the other. This particular beach always has these three waves in a row which made it even a bit more eerie.

My mind has been full of noise lately. A weight lifted as I curled my knees to my chest, sat my chin on my knee and let the noise drift into the sea while the hush that I've been craving breathed through me. My winged friend stayed with me until I left.

13 Comments:

Blogger Swirly said...

Those moments in nature where we are truly one with the earth are so magical. I had a similar experience on a hike recently. I had done a monstrous hike - about ten miles - and towards the end of the trail (near where we took my pictures) I was all alone surrounded by trees and green and a perfect breeze. I stopped walking and just stood still, listening to the silence. I will never forget that.

December 6, 2007 at 8:42:00 AM PST  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

wow. that is really a special moment. the waves and the fact that the bird stayed by yourside the entire time.
beautiful, powerful, nature.

December 6, 2007 at 9:19:00 AM PST  
Blogger The Passionate Palate said...

Oh, sounds wonderful in a "I want to feel small, insignificant and out of control" kind of way. I have done just that many times and find the power of the ocean to be at once calming and transformative. Do you know what I mean? Great photos, as always!

December 6, 2007 at 10:10:00 AM PST  
Blogger AnnaC said...

It is so magical to have our guides bring us physical, tangible reminders that we are not alone, even when we crave to be alone.

I know that I hide from the calling from my soul to take QUIET alone time...not in front of a tv or listening to a radio or searching out the voice of someone else.

It sounds like a glorious time.

December 6, 2007 at 11:31:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

I long to be near the ocean everyday, and this lovely post makes that longing even stronger. I keep asking myself why I live in this landlocked state when my heart yearns for the sea...

December 6, 2007 at 11:47:00 AM PST  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

and as each wave wash over the rocks...it washed over our emotions...freeing us at that very moment of all the feelings...leaving behind only magistical awe for the beauty of nature...and being alive!

December 6, 2007 at 12:27:00 PM PST  
Blogger bee said...

i love the peace that comes with being by the ocean...there is nothing quite like it.

it's not yet time for my head to be emptied of its buzzing to-do list, but i'm already preparing for a week of quiet meditation.

i'm glad that your weight lifted, dear one. (hug)

December 6, 2007 at 4:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger Stacy said...

i hear you on the noise, too much of it as of late.

i am so happy you had this quiet, therapeutic time with mother nature.

so gorgeous and powerful, just like your sweet winged friend who shared the moment with you.

xoxo

p.s. that is so true about hiking, or being in places of nature, huh? people smile and say hello, understanding the connection, a rarity in the concrete jungle.

December 6, 2007 at 5:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger mccabe said...

did you spot any mermaids?

:)

mccabe x

December 6, 2007 at 7:52:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes a change is coming.

December 6, 2007 at 7:58:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are such a sweet hearted goddess!! here's a little somethin' xxxxo

LOVE DOES THAT

All day long a little burro labors, sometimes
with heavy loads on her back and sometimes just with worries
about things that bother only
burros.

And worries, as we know, can be more exhausting
than physical labor.

Once in a while a kind monk comes
to her stable and brings
a pear, but more
than that,

he looks into the burro's eyes and touches her ears

and for a few seconds the burro is free
and even seems to laugh,

because love does
that.

Love Frees.

~ Meister Eckhart ~

December 6, 2007 at 8:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger kristen said...

I miss living close to the ocean. My mind has been full of noise as well - being in nature is always a way to restart.

December 7, 2007 at 4:06:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a glorious way to witness all that power.

BTW, i love the Be Good Tanyas.

December 9, 2007 at 7:50:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home