<

Friday, February 22

this beauty*


my niece kelly, canon digital rebel xti

I get to spend time with this beauty over the weekend. She's on her way with some girlfriends to our city for a cheerleading competition she's participating in (Bring it On...totally). I also get to see my sweet sister (her mom) and get some snuggles in while we're rooting for our blond babe doing gymnastics all over the floor.

I spoke to Kelly last night on the phone for awhile. Its her last year of high school and her brain is wrapping itself around how much her life is evolving as she goes away to college, friends move away, boyfriend stays at a nearby college and a new journey begins.

I find myself in awe of her wisdom at such a young age. I also melted one hundred times as she continued to ask for my thoughts on decisions she is about to make or not make. I got a tiny taste of the sweetness of parenthood as I shared with her some of my experiences similar to what she is going through and how they influenced my life. I realized in our conversation how important it is to encourage her to think for herself and dive into her own inner wisdom. I asked her a lot of questions, rather than answering them for her. It was sweet to see by the end of our conversation that she felt really empowered to tap into her inner voice and felt the freedom to take one moment at a time rather than rush into emotional decisions.

Another thing that melted my heart was that she listened....truly listened about our adoption journey. I was again in awe of how insightful she was, without me needing to share all the details, about the birth mom and what her emotions might be about the whole process. She was seeing it at all angles and showed such sensitivity and warmth. You never know how people are going to react about adoption and I've been so blessed at the support from my family and friends. Kelly was full of anticipation about holding her little cousin soon and being a mentor and friend to our child. I have two amazing nieces that are now young adults that will be wonderful examples of independent, strong, deep thinking, creative women to our child. Like big sisters...much like I had.

I'm not sure if I can get a camera into the arena so that I can show you a few of her groovy moves and stunts...but I'll try.

We adore you, Kelly boo.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are just the sort of sweet auntie i've always wished i had.

enjoy your time together.

February 22, 2008 at 12:15:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a lovely family you have. Filled with so much love and support.

February 22, 2008 at 12:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lovely.

February 22, 2008 at 1:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger jessamyn said...

you are so wise in your approach to communicating imporant things to your loved ones. that is one element that will add to your incredible mama-ness. best wishes for your powerful journey...

February 22, 2008 at 2:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

All yumminess...cheerleading...always made me feel as if I wanted to do it...I could be a cheerleader...ooohhh...just imagine a few years back...maybe we should start our own cheerleading group...just imagine Jen and Andrea leading us!:-)

Enjoy the time...the show...the hugs..the connection...your family! xx

February 22, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Swirly said...

Ohmygosh I would LOVE to go to the cheerleading championships with you!! She is lucky to have you in her life, and I bet that is one of the reasons why she is so wise already. Look at her role model!! xoxo

February 22, 2008 at 3:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger christianne said...

this was so sweet. i love hearing you talk about your niece kelly, and i always adore the pictures you take of her. she's gorgeous, and you capture that gorgeousness in such breathtaking ways.

i so agree with you about the importance of listening and asking questions more than talking or telling. it really is about helping people along into the person they're trying to be, not who we are trying to make them be or think that they should be. what a precious gift it is to offer someone the freedom to be themselves, to listen to their own deep inner voice, as you said, and to make decisions that come from that place, instead of a place of fear or obligation or misplaced trust in someone else's idea of who we ought to be.

i love that you value this. i value it, too.

February 22, 2008 at 3:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

this will be my niece clare in a few years. i love to take her on little artist journeys, she is always so enthused, curious and grown up. she does irish step.

February 22, 2008 at 4:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger kirsten said...

so full of insight & wisdom. it is a good & brave thing to ask questions that help another to know herself instead of trying to imprint her with one's own set of opinions. so many parents don't get this [mine, thank heaven, did].

i am so thrilled for you, anticipating the day when you will hold your own little boho baby, when the mother you already are will have a child to hold & to love.

blessings.

February 23, 2008 at 2:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger britt said...

boho - i have goosebumps and am so excited for your journey. birth in a different way. i cannot wait to see your beautiful child, knowing how loved it will be, how sacred your mothering will be. i can't wait! please keep posting us on your journey. it's amazing.

February 24, 2008 at 7:09:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have such chills after finding your beautiful blog and reading about this wonderful/scary/unsure part of your journey to your child.
Drink in every moment. Savor and cherish it. I promise you that when your child is safely in your arms you will see that GOD chose this very child for you.
I am an adoptive mother. After giving birth to three wonderful children, we turned to adoption. First from Korea then Russia. Many years later, we became foster parents. Today we find ourselves at 51 and 54 with 3 special needs two year olds. Eight children in total. GOD is good. I look back to see that each child was appointed to our lives just as GOD planned it.
Many years from now you will be able to look back and see how all the puzzles pieces were fit into that special puzzle...your life.
Blessings to you!
Shelley

February 24, 2008 at 5:29:00 PM PST  
Blogger meghan said...

wow - I hope you had a wonderful time!! What a blessing she will be to your little one. It's all falling into place!!!

xo

February 24, 2008 at 11:07:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts ~ you are really amazing. Thank you for sharing all that you do. Your pictures are very beautiful! I am so blessed to be surrounded and embraced by my dear, good, sweet friends who I treasure and cherish. Thank you for including a picture of dear Tammy and me ~ she is an angel! I am so very excited that you and Boho Boy have chosen your beautiful path of adoption, just as your baby will choose the two of you to be his/her parents ~ a blessing for all. Your wishes and dreams will come true! Love, love you :)!

February 25, 2008 at 1:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

what a gorgeous photo. You captuer her beauty so perfectly.

I am so warmed by knowing you have such wonderful lovely family.

You rock baby love.

You are going to be such a sensitive loving supportive mama.

February 25, 2008 at 4:04:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home