<

Tuesday, April 22

felt like home*


my new mary jane crocs at a Vancouver park


two sweet old ladies at a pond in Victoria, B.C.


Capilano Lake, Vancouver B.C., canon digital rebel xti


West Vancouver, B.C.


me walking across the very wobbly Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver
(i'm afraid of heights, so this is HUGE for me...being that it was 250 high)


boho boy at Treetop Adventures

It seems we somehow find a way to get to Victoria, B.C. at least once a year if not twice. Stepping foot off of the ferry into the charming little city always feels like home for us. Perhaps because we are surrounded by like-minded people that always treat us with such warmth and openness.

The city is rich with historical buildings, museums, charming Victorian homes, earthy restaurants and funky independent coffee shops. It feels like everything I love about my favorite cities all rolled into one place with the bonus of adorable Canadian accents that I could never tire of.

There are a few sweet moments I'll share that my mind keeps trailing back to...

The first morning I woke up before my husband, which is a RARE thing. I took a walk with the morning dew into some neighborhoods I hadn't yet travelled. It was so quiet...everyone sleeping...only the birds and me. I walked through the legislative building from the late 1800's. I thought I was alone and these two old jolly cops came down the stairs to chat with me. They asked me where I was from and loads of questions about California. I felt like I was with two dear Santa Claus men. I thought it so typical that even their police officers are far from intimidating. So kind and warm and welcoming...sending me off with wishes for a splendid vacation.

We found a coffee shop that we practically lived in. By the end of the week, they knew us by name and started whipping up our "usual" (yerba mate lattes with vanilla rice milk). Hanging from their brick walls was local art strung from metal curtain rods throughout the shop. Lots of comfy couches and bohemians sitting in them. We saw a fabulous local band there one night called The Gruff...sitting right up close, loving every harmony and instrument and sweet smile and winks from their eyes.

Midweek we took a ferry over to Vancouver Island. It seems this is the only day I whipped out my camera. Not sure why that is. I think I really just needed to settle in Victoria like it was home and live in the moment and not think much. Next time I'll take more in Victoria. Our trip to Vancouver was eventful to say the least. Boho Boy took me to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I think he tends to forget how very frightened I am of heights (I say this because he took me up in a hot air balloon to propose to me). I braved the wobbly bridge strung 250 feet above Capilano River and tall trees. It was surreal. I panicked a wee bit the first time, clinging to him for dear life as I felt shaky all over. On the way back I did it on my own (see photo above)...still clinging to the rod but smiling this time. The park also had Treetop Adventures, which was tree houses and bridges going from one tall tree to the next to walk on. We also stumbled upon the largest Whole Foods Market I have ever seen. This rocked our worlds. Especially when this jolly dude with a funny knit hat that worked there enthusiastically shared his passion for Spelt bread, guiding us around and encouraging us to squeeze each loaf. Totally our kind of peeps.

Back in Victoria, we found a corner sandwich shop, owned by a sweet German man. His wife and three children worked there as well. They encouraged us to bring our own bread (as i can't have gluten and boho boy can't have yeast...fun pair, eh?). They made us the best sandwiches we've every had and we kept coming back for more. Boho Boy spoke German with the owner and that was it...they were instant pals. We might house swap with their family on future vacations. We fell in love with the them. So open and jolly and passionate (and still very much in love with three teenagers/twenty somethings in the house).

At least once a day we would go down to a pub and drink virgin Ceasars with lots of garnish (pickled green beans and green olives) to watch Hockey. Its so fun to see how passionate Canadians are about their hockey. I got into it a bit too.

We spent one day driving all around Vancouver Island (where Victoria is...I know it can get confusing that there is a city Vancouver and a Vancouver Island and they're separate). We found a delicious park with a pond and two sweet old ladies snuggled up together. I had to take a photo (see above). This park had a four mile path all along the water. I love how Canadians love their community parks.

By the end of our time there, my husband's Canadian accent was back in full swing and even I started pronouncing my t's...among other endearing sounds.

There is more to share but I'll stop for now. We are home feeling more empowered...and healed from a rough few months. I know I haven't shared a lot of details here about what happened. I really respect the privacy of all involved, so my apologies for choosing to be vague. I will share more about what is transpiring in our hearts soon.

For now we are home and I am choosing to focus on the beautiful blessings that are happening in our lives right now. Some yummy stuff.

20 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

this sounds so divine for the two of you. makes me so happy for you. i feel peace and comfort and lots of love in your words.

i, too, am afraid of heights. when i saw you on that bridge, i about died. it was kinda nice to read that you were clinging to boho boy the whole way across, as that's what i'd be doing to my hub, too. i'm not sure i'd be brave enough to go it alone on the way back . . . but who knows? your own bravery inspires me.

April 22, 2008 at 6:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Toni M Photography said...

:) what a lovely post about such sweet adventures you had. I too am afraid of heights, one day I am going to tackle this. But to be proposed in hot air balloon tops the list, how romantic.

I truely love your red crocs. Mine are pale blue ad the most comfortable foot wear I won, how do you find yours?

The yummy stuff sounds very sweet indeed, wishing you the best with it all,

Sending you lots of warm fuzzy hugs,
Love Toni

April 22, 2008 at 6:03:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still feel nauseous, looking at that pic BOho , i get vertigo, you are brave i coulnt do it !!!!sounds like so much fun and more, enjoy your space now with LoVe Carole XXOO

April 22, 2008 at 6:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing those photos. what a magical trip! it looks like you were immersed in green lushness and kindred spirits!
love to you,
deb

April 22, 2008 at 6:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gem said...

thank you for sharing the delicious-ness...
xoxo,
gem

April 22, 2008 at 7:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kathleen said...

i feel as if i just went on a mini-vacation...thank you.

love and peace to you, dear lady. xo

April 22, 2008 at 7:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Vivienne said...

wow. so lovely to hear of your adventures in my old stomping grounds! i love solstice cafe! did you happen to go to mole (pronounced mo-lay) that is across the street? some seriously delicious gluten free breaky!

and its wonderful to see your images of the city i live in (vancouver). i'm so glad you enjoyed your trip here!

April 22, 2008 at 8:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger boho girl said...

Dear Lady V...

YES we loved loved loved Mole. We talked to the owner a bit there too and he was awesome. The food was delish.

We also loved Rebar...

Oh, and I of course had a gluten free pizza delivered to our hotel from The Joint. ; )

Vancouver is so fun...and stunningly gorgeous!

xoxo

April 22, 2008 at 9:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mames said...

i dream of going back to canada someday. we had a precious and cherished week, some days spent on the island of salt springs, some in whistler. it was the most alive and lovely i had felt in a long time. the island really soaked into me. funny, to read this post today, i was just looking at a bottle of wine that we bought on the trip, to be opened on the occasion of our boys' first birthdays. canada gave us them....it holds all the magic and love and you captured it well in your writing. so lucky, that you have connections to that wonderful place. and i love them crocs, i have them in a glaringly hot pink. yow.

April 22, 2008 at 9:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger WhimsicalBird said...

Haha - I feel your fear about the suspension bridge. My Grandparents' live less than 5 minutes from there, but I've never been on it. How bad is that? I promised everyone I'd go on it during the family reunion this summer.

I'm so glad that your trip was lovely and I cannot wait to hear about the many yummy things ahead.

April 22, 2008 at 9:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

hey you - glad to have you back! Feels like home eh? (Did you like my 'eh'? I think you should move there!! (And call me - I have a cute Canadian accent you can hear ANY time!!!)

SO glad to hear so much peace in your words!!!!

xo

April 22, 2008 at 11:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Brabarella Update said...

i miss those canadian accents -- northern vermont natives tend to have a wee bit of it too...and like a southern accent it's so easy to pick up when you're immersed in it...and i'd say your carsten is one smart fella taking you up in a balloon to propose ;)

April 23, 2008 at 5:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Swirly said...

I want to do this trip!! Sounds lovely, and I am so happy you got away for such a peaceful escape.

April 23, 2008 at 7:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Thea Coughlin said...

hee hee-I got to wear those leggings you haveon in the first pic....so silly but that made me feel so happy. I loved when you visited here, and am so glad you had such a magical time in Victoria. It seems like it is such a perfect fit for you two.
The photos are just amazing-especially the ladies in the park. I want to buy this as a print from you love. I will hang it and feel us sitting just so when we are old-side by side in a park-talking and holding hands.

I love you smuchy.hee hee made that up just now-feel like an 8 year old saying that.
XO

April 23, 2008 at 8:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger ELMERC said...

Nice pictures of the area around the pacific coast area. British Columbia, Canada is one of the best and most beautiful places in the world. I'm so glad I live in British Columbia, Canada. Elaine Cooke

April 23, 2008 at 9:18:00 AM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

do we have accents, we don't have accents, tee hee ... i heart solstice cafe and mole seriously rocks. vancouver island and some of the surrounding islands along with the sunshine coast are some of our favourite places to be. hopefully in the next six years we will be living on the sunshine coast, that is the plan anyway. :)

April 23, 2008 at 10:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Truly devine! So happy you made it back safely...

April 23, 2008 at 10:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Darlene said...

yummines all around :)

but you know me...glad you're home safe *crooked smile*

i heart you a ton!
b/sis d

April 23, 2008 at 11:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

*sigh*...such gorgeous images...

April 24, 2008 at 1:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

i have family in vancouver, but it's been a while since i visited. i'll be heading there in the early fall and can't wait!!!
thanks for all these beautiful photos!!!
xo

April 25, 2008 at 11:31:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home