<

Friday, April 25

photographing artists*


andrea scher, canon digital rebel xti

An epiphany I had a few weeks ago that was always in my subconscious but most recently has come to light is that I am absolutely wild about photographing artists.

They just seem to get the way I move, the moments I may need to be quiet and stare for a while. In those quiet moments I find a relaxed intimacy between us. They don't seem afraid of a story I may need to create in order to capture my vision. The trust and openness between our two creative souls is so very powerful and magical.

There are times when I can be very energetic and funny but I find I am most comfortable in my skin when I am observing quietly, where there is space to breathe and communication is more from movement than words. Perhaps this is why being a dancer and a mime always came naturally to me in the past.

Creative souls seem to get this about me. They don't feel intimidated or question the shifts during our session.

The other day, I was talking with a dear friend about what I would like to manifest in my life this year. One of them was photographing more artists...of all types...including musicians. Over the few weeks following that conversation, I heard from some creative beauties that I have admired from afar, inquiring about sessions with me. I now have future sessions with these three amazing creative geniuses. When I heard from them, I felt weepy in a good way. I mean, these are women that I have been a fan of without them knowing. Women I secretly drool over behind the scenes...not only because of their inner and outer beauty, but because of their insanely creative talent that inspires me to no end.

I felt like it was such a gift. Like I am being protected and reminded that life, even through the pain, can unfold into other dreams coming true if I stay open, clear and confident about what I love to do. I remember squealing to my husband..."I JUST said a few days ago that this is what I wanted!" (i am sure there was jumping and clapping and more nerding out of some sort).

This all happened when my heart was broken and I felt messy about the possibility of being a mom after the adoption fell through. I somehow still found the power within myself to say..."Wait! I am so many other things than a woman longing to have a child with the love of her life! I am an artist! I have lots to give to this world! Screw self doubt!". Its always when I focus on what I want, rather than what I don't want to happen, the magic trickles in. Its not always easy. Sometimes its fricken hard and nearly impossible to get into that head space of knowing I have the power to create the life I want. It mostly happens when I become really *clear* about what I desire and then when I allow myself to hope and believe and FEEL worthy of these things...it starts happening. Sometimes in small ways...and sometimes in big ways, like with these photo shoots I'm excited about.

I am so grateful I have something else to put my energy into this year while we are back on the crazy wild horse of trying to conceive. I want to manifest more of this in my life.

So, if you're an artist/musician and need photographs taken for your website or album covers or for marketing in any way...and you're not afraid of a grungy arty style and feeling like a rock star...I might be your gal. ; )

23 Comments:

Blogger Silvia said...

Recently I've seen the law of attraction work for me as well. It's so much fun when you see the results!

I'm really excited for you :)

Have a great weekend!
With love,

Silvia

April 25, 2008 at 10:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

if i were an artist or musician...you'd most definitely be my gal ;-)
i love how you recognized you have SO much to give...never lose sight of that, sweetie. you are an amazing gift to the world.xo

April 25, 2008 at 11:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

I want you to photograph me!!!!

I want you to take my portrait before during and after the day in October - you make women look so gorgeous. You capture the inner goddess and the beauty that we all hope we have on the inside -

LOVE YOU - glad to read you feeling feisty again!

ox

April 25, 2008 at 12:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AbraMichelle said...

I swear, if I ever come out to Cali, I will look you up and beg you to photograph me. I feel like I would actually be comfortable in FRONT of the lens with you...as I usually hide behind the lens. You are amazing.

April 25, 2008 at 12:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Georgia said...

If only I lived near you, or had money to get there I would LOVE to pay you to photograph me :) I love what you capture with your lens... I have been feeling like I really need to see myself in a different light, and the way you photograph people is exactly how I want to see myself. I love how you see people, I want to see myself like that :)

Perhaps I can save up enough to make this happen sometime soon.

xoxo

April 25, 2008 at 2:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger lisa said...

your process and photographs are just beautiful.

April 25, 2008 at 2:09:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful photo of andrea ~ i just wish I was that musician or artist to get photographed by the lovely awesome you my dear!!! rock on!
xo
stef

April 25, 2008 at 3:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger all over the map said...

I couldn't agree with you more about self doubt. It's so damaging and energy draining.
These are amazing and wonderful blessings you are receiving and it's so good to know you are happy and joyed to receive them. Yay!
Along with all the rest, I would love a session with you so when you come down under, you're hired! :)
xo

April 25, 2008 at 7:44:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so beautifully talented ~ what a special gift you have! Thinking of you ~ may all of your wishes and dreams come true. We are sending to you our love and positive, happy thoughts .. now and always!
Much love, N

April 26, 2008 at 6:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger nap girl said...

very cool ~ i can imagine them all in a fab coffee table book!
ox kelley

April 26, 2008 at 3:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kelly rae said...

would have LOVED for you to take my author photo for the book - i should have thought about this when you were here!

doing lots of research on cameras today (thank you for your advice).

big XO,
k

April 26, 2008 at 4:43:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh I want.

April 26, 2008 at 9:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME! You already know I want you to photo me!!! Just waiting for the time when we can meet... sometime in the next year. promise!!!
xlxlx,
j

April 27, 2008 at 7:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger changapeluda said...

Oh Boho GIRL!
You are Beautiful
so it follows that your eye is
Beautiful
so what you see thru your lens w/said Beautiful eye is
Also Beautiful.

:0]
Happy Sunday!

April 27, 2008 at 10:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

this photograph of Andrea took my breath away holy shit you are such a talent my love.

I will never forget driving down a snow lined tree road with you my love. This is you-this is what you are meant to do.

You completely and utterly rocked my world and in the process opened me up to all the fabulousness I have experienced since our shoot together.

Your mojo is magical.

Love you tons and tons.

You rocksatr you.
XOXOXOXOX

April 27, 2008 at 7:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

you are manifesting some serious creative mojo, girly! i'm inspired by you, always.

love it and love YOU!
xoxo

April 28, 2008 at 10:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

woo-hoo! this is really fantastic. how exciting. and this pic of andrea is just gorgeous...

April 28, 2008 at 1:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger That City Girl said...

i love your work! it is so beautiful. i have been a big fan of your words/photography for awhile, but never had the courage to come out and say hello!

so, hello... :) i am a musician and artist, and would LOVE to have you photograph me sometime....i am in NYC, but who knows, maybe we can work something out sometime...

~katie

April 28, 2008 at 7:23:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lovely, exciting manifestation.

you just keep on creating...
good, good stuff.

love,
mccabe x

April 29, 2008 at 1:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Nic Bridges said...

Oh!! I wish you lived just around the corner, not across the ocean from here. I need a pic of me for a magazine profile (like, today) and you would be so perfect to take it for me. Sigh...

April 29, 2008 at 11:12:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness how the world works in such strange ways. I found your blog after making a big loop via another artist blog friend in South Africa...from her post on my blog, to another... and another... and to you...right here in my country, in my state, and posting a picture of one of my most favorite people ever, Andrea, who lives in my neck of the woods.Stunning photo...it brought tears to my eyes.
'Amazing how small this world is.

I have walked in your shoes...miracles do happen...mine at ages 45 and (shockingly!) at 47. Two little girls,now 10 and 8.
For you dear girl, I am sending good thoughts into the universe.

May 6, 2008 at 9:37:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kathleen said...

eek! i just bought my first items from treehouse 28! i surfed over there from your page about a year ago and have been lusting after her clothes ever since.
i got a pair of pants and a hoodie and they are perfect.

i have been here, reading, nodding my head in agreement and understanding over the last coupla' months, sister. you are so amazing. my heart is bursting for you and your love-filled future. xo

May 14, 2008 at 9:59:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have made me sit here crying while reading through your latest posts. i feel so lucky to have connected to you through miss thea - who i also feel so lucky to have connected to.

i feel like i can learn so much from you.
tara

May 16, 2008 at 2:33:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home