<

Wednesday, July 23

my utopia*


story board of me dancing, canon digital rebel xti (click for larger view)


Dancing has been healing my heart and opening up my senses lately.

Today I danced to the song Utopia by Alanis Morissette and wanted to capture the freedom I felt. The freedom I haven't felt is so, so long. My body is loosening from the tight grip of sadness that has taken its toll on my spirit.

I'm going back to what used to feel healing as a young girl, when I felt troubled inside and would bring the "boom box" out to the backyard and dance it off. I have a clear image of twirling and moving while my dear mother watched from the kitchen window, wiping a dish and smiling, knowing that this was my nirvana.

So, in a sense, me bringing dancing back into my life is like being in touch with that inner child. The one that was more free and enchanted with her natural ability to move.

Today, as I cleared the stuff aside in my studio, I danced to this song that has always taken me to a place that I dream of for our world.

The lyrics carried me...

Utopia

we'd gather around all in a room fasten our belts engage in dialogue
we'd all slow down rest without guilt not lie without fear disagree sans judgement

we would stay and respond and expand and include and allow and forgive and
enjoy and evolve and discern and inquire and accept and admit and divulge and
open and reach out and speak up

This is utopia this is my utopia
This is my ideal my end in sight
Utopia this is my utopia
This is my nirvana
My ultimate

we'd open our arms we'd all jump in we'd all coast down into safety nets

we would share and listen and support and welcome be propelled by passion not
invest in outcomes we would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference
be gentle and make room for every emotion

we'd provide forums we'd all speak out we'd all be heard we'd all feel seen

we'd rise post-obstacle more defined more grateful we would heal be humbled
and be unstoppable we'd hold close and let go and know when to do which we'd
release and disarm and stand up and feel safe

this is utopia this is my utopia
this is my ideal my end in sight
utopia this is my utopia
this is my nirvana
my ultimate

23 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

i love that dancing is opening you up. and i've never heard that alanis song before, but the lyrics are divine. i'm headed over to youtube now to check it out. :)

July 23, 2008 at 6:30:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous. it so lovely to hear the lightness in your voice.

July 23, 2008 at 6:57:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your wild free dancing spirit...

I was moved seeing those photos of you~
love,
a

July 23, 2008 at 7:21:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have just recently discovered your blog - your words, images and all combined are so freeing and uplifting! i just wanted to say thank you. :)

July 24, 2008 at 3:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jacki said...

Wonderful, such a lightness to you!

(And might I mention I LOVE the way you've diffused your overhead light in the room you're in...awesome idea!)

July 24, 2008 at 4:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger michael morrow said...

"The freedom I haven't felt is so, so long"---yes freedom IS soooo long, always here, always there, in your picture, in my picture.....it's so, so long, it comes around and meets itself in and then through you, in and then through me, freedom is long universe, dance girl, dance boy, yeh, dance freedom's long dance life

July 24, 2008 at 6:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

oh wow, honey. these pictures are so fluid, i can actually see your body moving. you are so gorgeous and free and light...

these moved me. i so want to take a dance class that you are teaching.

and i LOVE that shirt. ; )

xoxo

July 24, 2008 at 8:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

p.s. you dancing about in your studio each day makes me giggly and happy when i think of it.

i will hold on to this thought when i need a smile in my day.

xoxo

July 24, 2008 at 8:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger heather l murphy said...

wow...thank you for sharing these, so beautiful and inspiring. So happy that are feeling free and loose, I think that is so power-FULL!

July 24, 2008 at 9:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sleepandhersisters said...

I haven't danced in a long time, I don't even think I have a good twirling skirt anymore...

your words and images together are something special.

thanks

Katherine

July 24, 2008 at 3:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Maria said...

Amazing... I don't know where to begin! What a beautiful mosaic. I am in love with your mirror and your ceiling adornment. How creative! and how beautiful!

I am a dancer myself and it's a medicine like no other! You just have to smile when you dance!

wishing you all the best,
M

July 24, 2008 at 6:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori Duncan said...

I love that song. And I love dancing. Thanks for sharing your writing.

Lori

July 24, 2008 at 11:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Swirly said...

You are one foxy momma and I can't wait to dance and twirl with you again!!

July 25, 2008 at 9:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

fabulous. I wish I could be dancing with you!!!

LOVE YOU

July 25, 2008 at 10:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Darlene said...

beautiful you
beautiful curves :)
xoxo b/sis

July 25, 2008 at 12:52:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous, i love your photos, you make me want to dance it all out.

July 25, 2008 at 7:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Love how you are 'floating' through the dancing...we are already free!
Love how the dancing has opened your heart even more...love you! xx

July 26, 2008 at 10:22:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look so fluid and grounded at the same time. Blissed out! ps I love that top!

July 26, 2008 at 4:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eileen W. said...

dance, boho girl, dance! :D

July 27, 2008 at 8:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

both dancing and swimming wake me up {metaphorically}, change my perspective, and make me free again. creativity flows. the photos are fabulous!

July 27, 2008 at 4:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

GET OFF THE COUCH--
YOUR DEAD ASS WILL COME TO LIFE


physical movement
produces and magnifies
friction
between body and spirit
required to iron-out
wrinkles
inherent in the fabric
of the human experience

Movement, life's lubrication faculty, is such a beautiful gift. Too often I take this great opportunity totally for granted, forgetting its inherent power to transmute confusion into education. Creative/conscious movement is an exceedingly productive and practical tool for us humans to use for contacting and polishing the multi-faceted being (I) BE.
Hense, conscious movement is the goal.
As I get myself off the couch, and engage in any sort of conscious movement: improv, choreography of any sort, martial arts, etc, personal issues are perceived and dealt with from very different sections of my brain and spirit. Of course, movement enacted as dance is the most productive way for me to work out my stuff and is very different from everyday life movement. Although, everyday life movement becomes more of a conscious dance as I afford myself personal time to dance my dance consciously, often, privately.

July 28, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post. I have been reading your sight for a while and thought this was a good post to comment on. Dancing is magic! I love to dance around my living room all the time to get he mojo flowing.

July 29, 2008 at 2:49:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning! Eachandeveryone!

thx..micki z.

July 31, 2008 at 8:46:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home