<

Sunday, August 17

the language of surfers...


logan (photo session), canon digital rebel xti

Boho Boy and I just returned from a few days away in nature to celebrate our anniversary. It wasn't far away. In fact, just about 30 minutes north of us...but we imagined we were thousands of miles away on an island resort near the sea. We both have pretty huge imaginations, so it wasn't hard to dream up and believe. We tried not to remember that our computers and our work were just a few exits down the highway.

Both him and I talk so much about wanting to live somewhere else. Somewhere cooler and less expensive so we can actually buy a house with a yard. Somewhere more cultural and funky and artsy and well, different. Because we spend so much time dreaming of this place, we don't take enough time to appreciate where we are, in the present moment. Its always during times when we step away from our everyday life that we realize we live in a spot where thousands tourists come from across the world for their vacations. Our beaches are sublime. Our waves a m a z i n g. Our weather pretty much perfect. Whenever we spend time at the beach, we look at one another and say "we live here...". For some reason during this time away, it hit us a little harder that we need to appreciate the parts of our hometown that are indeed unique and magical and spiritual.

As much as I have loved the ocean and being near it all of my life, I also fear it in a big way. Being submersed in salty water with sea creatures and powerful currents crashing over me can cause a bit of anxiety and at times has kept me watching from the sand. Lately, I have been a bit more daring like I was when I was younger and have played in the waves. We went out a few times over the past few days and there is such a magical energy force that permeates my being when diving underneath a large wave. It makes me both laugh out of joy and cry out of fear. It's such a rush. I realize I am beginning to speak the language of surfers but in a sense, I am resonating with them a bit more each time I go out. I so get it. I get why it consumes them and why they would get up at the crack of dawn...even during the wintry weather.

So, a lot of inspirations came to me while in the water but one was a bit random and odd that I just can't seem to get out of my head. I envisioned this cool vintage looking sign to hang in my kitchen with the word "Recycling" on it. We need to put a sign above our recycling bin because people tend to think it is our garbage when they come over. I am wondering if any of you creative betties are into making painted signs or know of someone who does that would custom design one for me? I wish I had time to make one myself but I also love to support other independent artists out in our world. I love the worn out shabby chic look (but not overboard). Totally random, I know...but if you can think of something or someone, please let me know in the comments. Thanks so much!

17 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

This story gave me an even greater appreciation for your photograph called "Brave," which I purchased from your Etsy shop as a Christmas gift for my sister . . . the one with the brave woman out in the ocean waves, facing the horizon as she's waistdeep in water. Now I know why you named it "Brave." I love that.

August 17, 2008 at 6:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Rowena said...

You know, I keep getting awestruck by all these bloggers, you included.

I search around for wisdom daily, search around for inspiration, search around for connection, and I keep finding it!

Thanks for reminding me to ride my wave, the beauty and the fear, the overwhelm and how far it takes me. I don't surf at all, too scared, can't swim well enough, but I get it, love the ocean, and find truth there.

Here too.

August 17, 2008 at 7:31:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the ocean and that feeling of diving under a wave with a passion. it's so good for the soul. it's a bit long but below is an excerpt from a Tim Winton novel, Breathe. i think he describes the joy of surfing the way only someone who loves it could.

"I will always remember my first wave that morning. The smells of paraffin wax and brine and peppy scrub. The way the swell rose beneath me like a body drawing in air. How the wave drew me forward and I sprang to my feet, skating with the wind of momentum in my ears. I leant across the wall of upstanding water and the board came with me as though it was part of my body and mind. The blur of spray. The billion shards of light. I remember the solitary watching figure on the beach and the flash of Loonie’s smile as I flew by; I was intoxicated. And though I have lived to be an old man with my own share of happiness for all the mess I’ve made, I still judge every joyous moment, every victory and revelation against those few seconds of living."

August 17, 2008 at 8:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger kristen said...

i'm a bit scared of the sea as well. i think it's more an appreciation of its beauty and power. i feel like i'm invading another world and that my body is like a dangling oddity in a world where i shouldn't be.
i believe in mermaids and another world below and i like to believe it's that appreciation and not a fear of sharks that keeps me humble on the sand.

we're visiting LA right now, with plans to spend the day on the beach tomorrow, i can't wait.

August 17, 2008 at 9:12:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to live in San Diego and began to feel like you...without the self-reflection of "wow, we live here!" and moved away to a little artsy town on the East Coast. Boy, do I wish I did a little more self-reflecting back then! :) I miss So Cal terribly! (But thankfully my Mom and youngest sister still live there!)

August 18, 2008 at 6:18:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this etsy shop a while back. She has vintage looking signs and will do custom work. Hope you find something!

www.lizeaton.etsy.com

August 18, 2008 at 9:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger jill said...

You took the words right out of my mouth... I grew up in OC, went to Laguna and San Clemente beaches all my years growing up. For some reason, I was always looking for ways to "move away." I finally did and stayed gone for 12 years (new york and texas). It took one vacation back to Laguna for a 4 day stay, and my hubby and I said, "Why don't we live here?"

Now we're back and I am appreciating more than I ever did. I'm so loving the ocean/beaches this summer and all it makes me feel, remember and experience.

Hope you had a wonderful anniversary!!

August 18, 2008 at 10:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Swirly said...

When I was a surfer girl in Santa Barbara, I loved the tingly feeling I always had after a few hours getting tossed around in the waves. It was like a drug...I miss it!!

August 18, 2008 at 11:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

You darling beautiful sea goddess....


roaring over here for your sea adventures.

XO
loving yu like crazy

August 18, 2008 at 2:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Maria said...

I love your blog. It's such inspiration. It's actually like a gift to me..Sure you write about your life and no I am not living vicariously it's your words. Everytime I come here I find inspiration. Thanks again.

All the very best... M

August 18, 2008 at 2:44:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have great signs and do custom orders at....

www.sawdustcityllc.com

I love your blog. Thanks for sharing your journey. I too am going through the same journey. Your words are comforting.

Blessings.

August 18, 2008 at 3:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

love you sea goddess!! i am so happy to hear you had this time away together to gain this perspective on where you are currently at as well. i will remember your bravery next time i am near the sea...

xoxo

August 18, 2008 at 7:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kim Kwan said...

i, too, am of the sea. i live in the desert now, but the beautiful ocean, my mother, sings its powerful song to me and becons me to her. toes in the sand, spray on my face...i am at peace. the tides and waves calm me, center me...re-set me like nothing else can. i ache for her when i am not there. my body aches physically when i have to leave...please enjoy the blessing it is that you LIVE there...some day i will again, too!

(i *get* you on this one.)

August 18, 2008 at 9:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eileen W. said...

The sea would scare me when I was a kid in NJ- yes, even on the Jersey Shore I saw "sharks" in the water- not really, just scared... Today, I'm still a bit frightened to leave my feet dangling for Jaws to eat. But, I'm the first one to want to dive in if I see dolphin fins- which is stupid, because it's no certainty that sharks aren't following behind. lol! I'm proud of your bravery, bohogirl. This is coming from a woman who imagined sharks in the pool at night while swimming. :D

I'm glad you took the time away at the beach with your sweetie- happy belated anniversary!

August 19, 2008 at 6:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger enchantedartist said...

I too, feel much the same way about the sea. I grew up in Victoria...and while I love the oceans beauty, it's power it truly overwhelmed me. I think it's opening up myself to the fear in the face of all the beauty that keeps me going back for more.

I know it's something I think I could live with everyday. :)

(Oh, and I sent you a little email in regards to your sign...)

August 19, 2008 at 10:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Violet said...

You have a beautiful way of writing the imagery of your life adventures and thoughts. I have fallen in love with the oregon beach but have haven't braved going into the water above my knees.

August 19, 2008 at 11:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spiral Bettie said...

Boho Girl,
I wanted to share that I long to live where you do. I have the yard, the house and grass. I would trade it for the sand, the water, and the earth friendly community in a second! Enjoy!

Also, I would be willing to make a sign for you at no charge. You have added so much to my world already without even knowing it!If you like, take a look at the painted journals on my website. I could paint you one on wood or canvas in that style if you wish. I could even use recycled materials and collage it!
my site is at http://www.artofthehumanexperience.com

We will have the chance to meet at the SAW event this fall. Thank heaven for that event!!

August 19, 2008 at 3:20:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home