<

Tuesday, September 23

indigo girl*


kelly...the beautiful indigo girl, canon digital rebel xti


In reflecting back on all the delicious Squam moments, I often come back to this one. I was walking by the playhouse and I saw Kelly of Camp Indigo getting ready for her class. I have wanted to photograph her for years. I whispered her name and pulled her aside (so impromptu...what a sport) and we nestled up on the wooden steps in the front. The steps were lined with pots of flowers and for some reason, that made the environment feel as if we were on the steps of our home. People were walking by and up the steps to the class but I was mesmorized by her beauty and her energy. It was the first time Kelly and I were able to steal a true moment, totally relaxed and face to face after a few years of reading one another's blog.

I loved how comfy I felt with her. The pleasant surprise that transpires when meeting the real person behind the blog and realizing she/he is one in the same and not at all different than what is portrayed. Her sense of humor on her blog was very alive in this exchange. I finally convinced her to be serious for a little sex kitten shot and I think I said a swear word or something and I immediately stopped and asked..."Oh my gosh, are you a Mormon?"...totally feeling mortified that I may have offended her and we both burst out laughing and my camera moved and captured this shot. Then she proceeded to tell me she had a potty mouth and I felt much better. When looking through all of my photos, I was so very grateful that my lens captured this moment for us because as silly as it was...it was a healing balm for me during a time that I was feeling tied up in knots about some stuff.

Thank you, indigo girl...you are magic.

Although, later during Squam I met a Mormom that sweared...but I am not telling you who it was. ; )

18 Comments:

Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

I'm totally soaking in your stories. You're making me feel like I was there. Snif Snif. Next year for sure! Thank you for sharing such fun stories. xxo

September 23, 2008 at 9:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

she is a shining beauty and a rock star!
xoxo

September 23, 2008 at 9:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Georgia said...

I wasn't there... but you KNOW I have a potty mouth ;) And I am pretty sure I know which one you met there too ;) I lurve her!

September 23, 2008 at 9:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Heart your photos! You must be overwhelmed with amazement looking through them...reliving each and every moment...xx

September 23, 2008 at 10:43:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this girl.
and i would sling hash at the corner diner with her any day and it would be like my kind of church.

i see you kelly.,

and i love what i see,

and denise, how is it that you are able to capture the rhythm of the very heartbeat within each person???

sigh....

xoxoxo

fuck yeah!

September 23, 2008 at 11:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Thea Coughlin said...

oh what a breathtaking photo, of a wonderful women.

I felt such a warmth meeting her in person.

You rock!

snuggles and smooches

September 23, 2008 at 11:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm a mormon, I swear, and I'm proud of my imperfections!

Love you, boho. it was so great meeting you!

September 23, 2008 at 1:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger nina beana said...

so beautiful! i loved reading about your interaction.

indigo girl was one of the peeps i wish i had more time with at squam...

oh yeah, and YOU. :)

and btw, my husband loves the shots you snapped of me- one of them is now our desktop background!


and ps- i guess i had some crazy latent potty mouth that came out so bad at squam...i surprised myself!

September 23, 2008 at 2:25:00 PM PDT  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

love this gorgeous photo...you have captured this amazing, kind, beautiful, soul-full woman.

fantastic.

September 23, 2008 at 5:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sleepandhersisters said...

Even though I will never meet these women you have so wonderfully captured while at squam, I feel I know a little of them by your amazing talent and lovely stories.

thanks

Katherine

September 23, 2008 at 6:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sleepandhersisters said...

ps... I hope you don't mind but I have added you to my blog roll.

September 23, 2008 at 6:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger jenica said...

all of the love and life that kelly breathes into every corner of a room, is captured in this pic. you are a talented woman lil ms boho.

secret swearing mormon friend? aww shucks.

loving you.

September 23, 2008 at 7:36:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

denise,
i am so happy you had such a wonderful time at squam, time with thea, time with yourself. you sound GOOD girl.

and i know plenty of cursing mormons. ;)

September 23, 2008 at 9:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

I had the honor of sharing a rental car with Kelly and can confirm one or two instances of trucker talk. ;) Oh, and that swearing Mormon? She rocked too, didn't she? :)

September 23, 2008 at 10:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Swirly said...

LOVE Ms. Indigo Soul, and LOVE that she is a potty mouth!! :)

September 24, 2008 at 7:19:00 AM PDT  
Blogger melissa said...

You totally captured Kelly here. I was so excited to meet her and she is exactly who I pictured...lovely and so damned funny! I think there's a theme here...beautiful funny women...it doesn't get much better than that!

xoxo

September 24, 2008 at 7:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger beth said...

I got to meet kelly at squam...and she was a DELIGHT !!!
how do you not love someone like her immediately ???

gosh, she can sure light up a room !!!

September 27, 2008 at 6:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

oh, I love that photo of kelly!

October 17, 2008 at 9:45:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home