<

Wednesday, October 15

vendor night*


me setting up for vendor night at Squam, photo by Jinny Sagorin
(click image for larger view)

What a lot of people that haven't met me yet don't know is that I can be a wee bit shy. Not at all times but definitely shy in new crowds or standing in front of a class or, ummm...displaying my art on a vendor table. ; )

I'm not really a *look at me* kind of person. I'm much better one on one and in intimate conversations. Unless I have alcohol running through my blood. Then I might be more inclined to be a bit animated. My girls know that.

I've always pondered the idea of setting up a vendor table. We have something called ArtWalk once a year where I live when they close off Little Italy and artists set up camp for three days selling their art. Each year I think about doing it and each year I chicken out. I think a huge part of that is the anxiety I can feel in crowds. The idea of having five or more people in my tent overwhelms me. How could I connect with each of them when there is so much going on? I know I would have to let go of the need to connect so deeply with each person and that it is okay if someone walks in and out and just says hello.

Vendor night at Squam Art Workshops was wonderful practice for me. Little did everyone know that as I was sitting and smiling quietly behind my table watching passers by, I was full of anxiety. Although, each and every person that came to my table was so very caring and gentle and loving and supportive. They were sensitive to the fact that what we were doing is a bit vulnerable; Putting our heart and soul out there for others to comment on and share opinions about. It was a really cool venue at the tail end of a total love fest camp and I think the locals that came picked up on that energy. So, lucky me, right? It won't always be this love-festy...but it was a good way to get my feet wet for these sorts of things.

My favorite visitor to my table was an older woman about in her late 80's. She had long gray hair in a braid, smooth milky skin, big blue eyes and layers of adorable clothing. Very eclectic looking. She looked at each of my prints carefully, quietly, not really striking up a conversation for a while. I watched her totally mesmerized by her presence. She then put a print down, looked me in the eyes and said..."I'm an artist too. I paint nudes. I've always loved naked bodies. Especially men." Then she winked at me and gracefully walked to the next table.

That pretty much made my night.

19 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

i can appreciate the hesitation about displaying your work, putting it all out there...and i'm so happy for you that it was a nurturing time for you at the Squam show.
xoxo

October 15, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome story about the woman that "made your night"! I love that!

I totally know how you were feeling. I just set up my first table on Saturday and like, felt lots of anxiety as I watched people walk up and closely examine my work. It was nice though...to be out amidst those that appreciate and love artists. :)

October 15, 2008 at 11:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger meghan said...

giggle!!! I love feisty women - fabulous!!

Maybe someday I could come and help you do a table on that night in your town. I could run interference and be a touchpoint for you...

how are you chiqua? Love you & thinking LOTS about you!

xo

October 15, 2008 at 12:23:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of anxiety well.
recently I was the featured artist
at a local art gallery, I could just barely keep form freaking out.
but if some old lady walked up to me and said that I would have died.

but I just paint flowers and fruit.

October 15, 2008 at 12:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sleepandhersisters said...

I don't think the experience would be the same without those feeling, you kind of need them... really enjoyed reading about your experience.

thanks

October 15, 2008 at 12:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger daisies said...

hee hee ~ your story of the feisty lady so made me giggle! i hope i am like that when i am 80 :)

so wonderful that you had such a fabulous gentle experience :)

October 15, 2008 at 12:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jacki said...

Cute story!!!
You are such a doll! I love that picture!

October 15, 2008 at 1:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, I love it! Cute old lady ;)

October 15, 2008 at 2:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger julie king said...

one of the biggest delights of getting a bit "older" is you feel like you can say most anything. it's like you've earned the right or something. so even though i'm not pushing 80 yet i can really relate to your story. i hope i still have that kind of gusto when im her age.

your photography is wonderful!!! keep it up (please!).

October 15, 2008 at 3:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cleasai said...

Oh please do participate in Artwalk some time. I would love to meet you in person. I've never commented on your site before but I love the stuff you create. I love the fact that you put so much heart & soul into everything you do.

October 15, 2008 at 4:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mccabe said...

cute pic!!

totally understandable....i get shy/anxious too. i mean you are sitting there with all your art on a table while people come to look. i bet vendor night was a great experience for you.

i have always wanted to do art walk as well...one year we should just do it!

xoxo
mccabve

October 15, 2008 at 4:48:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! that was my grandma! hee hee. just kidding — but it could've been.... she's an artist, lives in NH, but her hair is shorter and she paints birds.
unless....grandpa?!? naaaahh! blush.
for all the shy gals— go for it! you rock the photos. so much emotion. atmosphere. love it. :)

October 15, 2008 at 8:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger deb schwedhelm photography said...

so nice to see you! and omg...your story about the lady is priceless. thanks for sharing!
hugs,
deb

October 15, 2008 at 11:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Just act that you are confident! and calm! the more you do it, the more natural it becomes and one day without realising it you'll be standing around talking about your art...Just do it!

Denise & Mccabe...why don't the two of you do it together this year..have tables next to each other...(for the support and fun and giggles!)...I dare you! xx

October 16, 2008 at 3:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Christine said...

Denise - you look so relaxed and happy in this photo....nerves be gone!
Christine

October 16, 2008 at 4:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Esti said...

I relate to your "don't look at me" feeling completely, as i go through the same kinda feelings quite often.
I like the story of the old woman. I'd kill to be like her when I grow up (white hair and braid too):)

October 16, 2008 at 6:00:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Boho Girl,

I can see the grace and release in the Squam picture it radiates from your face and it was such a beautiful day there. Boho boy's great news that weekend makes much sense. Boys are joys...they love their mamas fierce and the connection is pure heaven. I'm sending some surprises in the mail, keep your eyes peeled! So over the moon for you and Boho Boy and the 'Boho Bean' that will be here soon! Thanksgiving starts early this year!! As Jenica, said you are a beautiful mama, you have been to me, a great maternal force!! Much, much, love.

Trish xoxoxo
patriciadolan@comcast.net

October 16, 2008 at 10:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

What a cute story! I love that you're putting yourself outthere. We're lucky to have ou ;)

October 17, 2008 at 6:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

oh honey, I have had the same feelings, and being next to you at vendor night was so comforting.

It was a perfect place to begin. So many beginnings......

I love you darling
t2t

October 23, 2008 at 4:53:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home