<

Wednesday, April 5

Big Sis


my big sis, photo by robin nations

She is gorgeous.
She is sweet.
She loves kissing,
my little feet!
(had to do that in response to her blog comment on my shoe post,
sorry for the sister cheese)

She is my big sister Darlene (also knows as B/Sis on my comments).

Scrumptious thoughts on our rare sister~relationship have been swirling around in my heart lately.

She's my rock. Our relationship has never wavered and if there was ever a time of concern, we've always created a safe space to come and spill, with an attitude of love and trust.

She has been through so much throughout her life and has continued to be so solid, wise and stoic during the storms. Because of this, many of those that surround her feel she may not need much, since she is so entirely strong. But even through her strength, there is much tenderness and I have always seen and felt this, therefore, we are extremely close.

Whenever there has been a huge tragedy in my life, she has taken me under her wing:

When my first love and I broke up, I cried on her lap, while she stroked my hair.

I went through a sliding glass door, she picked me up from the emergency room and took care of me for a few weeks.

When I was in a bad car accident; she took me in for over a month.

When I was living in Texas for a few years and my boyfriend and I broke up, she flew hundreds of miles to stay with me and we painted my apartment and furniture. So healing.

When I was living in a new city after a huge heartache, she stayed with me in my sweet Berkeley cottage to light candles, talk, listen to music, go to sushi and watch the tiny spec of the golden gate bridge from my window.

There really is so much more.


darlene at my wedding

What I cherish is that even though I am 10 years younger, she still comes to me for advice and comfort. One of the curses of being the baby of the family is that it can be difficult for others to see me outside of the "little girl" box. I love how Darlene has been watching and listening to my growth and truly sees me as a woman and treats me like one.

I love that even though we are both artists, there is no competition (as there usually is between siblings) but we encourage one another with complete glee.

I could actually write a novel about her but I will end with this. Not only is her divine beauty classic but her heart is made up of the rarest of jewels.

I am just basking in our relationship.

Thank you Dar, for reading my blog, for being the perfect listener about our fertility journey and allowing me to be there for you too...which I know doesn't come easy and I feel so, so honored.

I love you, sister sledge.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

so sweet...
You are both gorgeous!

April 5, 2006 at 1:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger The Silent K said...

HEy kristine, I was going to say that! Haha. It's true, you are both beautiful women.

April 5, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am weeping.
I am humbled.
I am taking your sweet face into my hands and kissing your forehead, the very tip of your nose and each eyelid.
Then I am looking into your big, wise brown eyes and saying thanks.
I too feel honored to have you in my life and reap strength from our relationship. Thank you for always striving to remain true to yourself. In that, I will forever be faithful to our love.

April 5, 2006 at 4:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

holy beautiful...
i can see it runs in the family.

and such sweet, wise words...

makes me wish i had a sister

:)

April 5, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such beautiful words for another beautiful soul. it makes me long for siblings of my own.

April 5, 2006 at 7:33:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm all weepy. I've been thinking about my own sisters lately and I miss them so much! This was a gorgeous tribute...*sniff*

April 5, 2006 at 8:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Stevie Wonder's "Isn't SHE LOVELY?" is what comes to mind! I love that dress!!!Who's your mother, Jaclyn Smith???LOL and your father, George Hamilton??? Did you seeeeeeee him on Dancing with the Stars???He was one of my fav actors, him and OMAR Shariff!

April 6, 2006 at 6:29:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home