<

Thursday, April 27

Poetry Thursday - All Women are Healers


carey in tree pose, canon digital rebel xt

My beautiful friend Carey and I went on a long hike today under the gray overcast clouds and into the bright green bushes.

Our time together had many shifts. First light hearted, then deep, then raw down into our inner's...back to light hearted again. Hugs of encouragement, tears flowing with empathy and laughter spilling for release at the end of it all.

Invoking Sisterhood.

When I arrived home, muscles well stretched and tired, I felt inspired to open up my old We'Moon Calendar book (2002).

I found it so apropos that I stumbled upon the poem that I did. The poem that I will share with all of you.

It is my big sister Darlene's birthday today. She has suffered with a serious illness for over 15 years now. Most recently, she was put on a new medication that put an end to her suffering. It is enormous. Enormous for her...enormous for all of us to see her true self come back to life (I write this with tears). I see her spilling with energy, brilliance and grace. She has connected with my blogging sisterhood without you knowing and I believe this is also part of her healing.

My mind also drifts to other's friends in this blogging community as of late that are very ill and I think of those that are recently grieving for loved ones lost.

All of this, coupled with the sisterhood bonding I had with Carey today lead me to this poem. I found such power and warrior~ness in the poet's words. It is obvious that this poem is about breast cancer but I believe this message can relate to all illnesses...including those of emotional heart.

That when we gather together as women torn of the heart or body, we can move mountains and help heal one another.

All women are healers.

************************************************

Mama, I Tell You the Mountains are Moving!

The women are coming together – by tens, by hundreds
out of the hospital beds, off the X-ray tables
bald-headed women, one breasted women
with bodies scarred and carved, picked with poison to attack
the poison they breathed/they ate/their children sucked.
they are talking talking talking their stories
they are holding each other sobbing, they are beating the drums
they are drumming pounding drumming
they are laughing fiercely to be living
living and fierce, and together.

And mama, the breasted mountains are shaking.
I knew, when you lay broken and moaning
your chest flattened and stitched – brain, bone, lung on fire
I knew that someday the flaming women would erupt
someday they would drum the bedrock into motion
they would fault the poisonmakers, find each other with cadence
of love and fury. You would have loved to be among them, Mama.
I see you, and an army of your flat-chested ghost sisters
pounding pounding on the mantle of the world,
the drumskin is tight and thin, the living women match you
beat for beat – no wonder the cliffs are trembling.

I need not tell you, Mama, that the mountains are moving.

~ Bethroot Gwynn

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh woman, this broke me open, made me weep tears of truth. you know how these words resonate with me. This tribe, your tribe, we, YOU, will rock this revolution.

April 27, 2006 at 5:07:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say. I'm in awe...literally with tears in my eyes.

You are amazing.

April 27, 2006 at 6:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

Happy Birthday to your sister! beautiful post and photos as always Boho Girl! ;)

April 27, 2006 at 7:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

oooh, i got big heart space reading all of this. lovely. just LOVELY, deni.

i can sense the deepness in you awakening parts in you. deep yearning parts that do not skim over the surface, they dive INTO the flesh, the blood, burrowing forth, engaged in the momentous sifting and shifting of life.

love you,
proud of you
xoxoxo
leonie

April 27, 2006 at 7:48:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shed tears over this beautiful, inspiring story/poem. And yes~YES our sons and daughters need to witness us all as warriors. We become invincible when we all believe in unity, believe in each other and believe in the power of our love for each other.

I believe.

April 27, 2006 at 9:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

This was so powerful, sweetie, your post and the poem too - there is something going on right now for us all - i can feel it. all this joining and connecting and coincidence, it's incredible. there is a shift happening for us all - and we our finding our power and strength... hear us ROAR!
Sx

April 28, 2006 at 8:00:00 AM PDT  
Blogger M said...

This is glorious, thank you! What a gift on a friday morning. And send many happy returns to your sister, it's wonderful that she is feeling better. Glad that you are feeling so strong and feeling the sisterhood vibes...so amazing!

April 28, 2006 at 10:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sky said...

the power and love of women...we are amazing! thanks so much for this poem which brings us to our feet and into our hearts.

April 28, 2006 at 11:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this poem. I have been so moved by the We'Moon calendar for many years. The concept of women sharing their hearts and voices in community like that. Oh, how powerful and tender all at once. My reverence for the book only grew this year when they decided to include a poem of mine in there! I wish your sister a happy birthday and brilliant, radiant health.

April 28, 2006 at 12:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger gkgirl said...

beautiful words
and sentiments...

April 28, 2006 at 2:55:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...serendipitous indeed. Women are amazing. Love the poem and your words and your sister to pieces.
a.

April 28, 2006 at 3:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I am singing happy birthday to your sister, may the warmth flow in the soft strong breeze right to her door.

I am happy she found something that brings relief.

The poem~

my dear, it truly shook me to my core,tears, raw tears, real tears

thank you

I hear the drumming

I hear my mother with all the tribe

It echo's in your words and in your photo.

Such strength is represented beautifully in Carey's pose.

My darling you are simply divine and amazing.

April 28, 2006 at 3:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristine said...

thank you
inspiring as always

April 29, 2006 at 12:29:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home